1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

No

2. Buck Turgidson

I agree totally, it's simple: Don't say blatantly false stuff and you won't get "nitpicked" about it: which the corrections thereof was all I did.

Carry on, indeed!

AkeemTheDreem86 and houstonstime like this.
  3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

The team should look different in a week

4. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

The team should look different in a week

raining threes and Radricky like this.
  5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Madris, Meyers, Hensley, Montero and Stanek all gotta go.
    This is rediculas. Why are these guys still here?
    I hope we make a trade for atleast so.e depth guy. Shoot call up Dirden maybe Arrighetti if they dont trade him Lee, Leon or even Perez at this point. I get tired of seeing there lackluster at bats

raining threes likes this.
  6. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Guys, what are we realistically going to achieve in the trade deadline? I’d prefer JV over Max, but would take Max of course. JV comes in and instantly changes that clubhouse, especially in the pitcher’s room. The familiarity he would bring cannot be overstated. To me, it all starts with getting a top flight SP, and everything else is secondary. Of course we need an elite reliever, but this team cannot win it all without another ace starter IMO. Then of course you’re looking for a solid bat, preferably left handed.

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Maybe bring in Jonathan Viller for the bench

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

I 100% want to see the Astros and Yankees in a bidding war for Belly... only to bow out late and have the Yanks overpay. All the while, the Astros get their main targets elsewhere.

9. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I second this. Bring JV home if the Astros are paying no more than $30M a year. We just don’t have the prospects to give. For a Cease or Stroman. Plus we need someone who can eat innings. Us fans don’t realize how spoiled we were last year with Verlander and Framber consistently going 7IP+.
    Valdez
    Verlander
    Javier
    France
    Brown
    Urquidy
    Bielak
    Blanco

Regardless of what happens I’m thankful for the efforts Bielak, Blanco, and France have given this year!

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Why not try and Nab Jordan Montgomery, Alec Burleson and Dylan Carlson form the Cardinals.

Maybe send Corey Julks, Rional Blanco, Brandon Bielak, Forrest Whitley and Shawn Dubin.

Now let me try and justify alittle before the hate comes in.
    Jordan Montgomery needs no explaining.

Alec Burleson he can play LF RF and 1B.
    Let me justify alittle . RF is a no go. He isn't athletic enough for that spot but can play in a pinch. LF again Isn't that Athletic but would be better here with Chas Over in CF.
    1B and DH is his meal Ticket. This guy can hit. But he hasn't been able to put it all togather. But left handed and has high end hit skills and Power. As it says in his scouting report slow learner but once he clicks it's on. Might not be alot this season but next and so on. Hmmm.

Dylan Carlson highly rated OF prospect who is falling out of Favor in St Louis. Switch hitter. LF RF and CF. He can play all three. Dang good hitter and has loads of power another guy who just needs a change.His Fileding his Arm are all plus speed can make him a base stealer. He needs new coaching like Burleson has power can hit just needs some learning.

Maybe we can tap into there potential.
    This would also make it where Brantley doesn't have to rush back and we get some youth that can cover spots. For.wr high end Prospect's whom need a change of scenery.

#2390 SKYGODZ187, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  11. Amadeus Rooster

Would these additions be rentals or long term for us? Could be nice to set up the pitching staff and OF too with these if you ask me. Lets goooo!!!

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The only rental is Montgomery.
    The other two would be long term holds in hopes they turn things around.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Would I like to have Verlander back? Yes

Do I believe it will happen? Nope.... because it would virtually guarantee the Astros would be over the luxury next season even if the Astros only had to pay 30 million of Verlander's contract. I won't believe Crane will pay the luxury tax until I see it with my own eyes.

BigMaloe, The Beard, Nook and 2 others like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Can't stop you from believing that if you want, but the team did pay the tax, albeit small, in 2020 when we easily could have gotten under. So it's already happened even if your eyes didn't see it.

We also had a 2 year standing offer, almost certainly north of 30 million, on the table for Verlander after we signed Montero and Abreu. Jim Crane isn't shortsighted Tilman Fertitta, if he has to go a little into the LT on an important move I have no reason to doubt he will. Granted we likely won't go very deep into it.

BigMaloe, ryan_98, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  15. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Enough with the Carlson trading. He has had 1500 at bats to figure it out and hasn't done it yet. In fact, it seems he is getting slightly worse every year. Why on earth would the Astros want him? Julks is relatively comparable, and most fans want him gone. Burleson hasn't had as many at bats, but so far had been significantly worse. Anybody that you mentioned would be a overpay for either. Here is an idea - instead of trading for someone who "might figure it out", trade for someone who has figured it out.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The last week or so hasn’t really done anything to loosen the trade market. The Guardians, Mariners, and Angels all are within a game of .500 and don’t look like they’ll be sellers unless they drop their next 3 games. Even the Cubs might change their approach if they have a good next 3-4 days. Taking the Guardians (Civale) and Cubs (Stroman, Hendricks) and Angels (Ohtani) out of the sellers category is a big hit to the supply of decent pitching.

The Padres did falter a bit and are now 4 games under .500, so it’s possible they will sell rental assets which would add Snell and Hader to the list of available players.

This coming weekend is gonna be wild.

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

You uave no faith. Carlson and Burleson both would do wonders in a different system. You gotta think why are teams so interested in them?

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Actually.... they didn't "pay" the tax. MLB suspended the luxury tax in 2020 because of COVID and empty stadiums. So yes, Crane has gone over the CBT but he never had to actually pay it.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Jonathan India is on the Block any takers?

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    SP Blake Snell
    RP Josh Hader
    OF Trent Grisham

Padres get:
    SP Luis Garcia
    OF Jake Meyers
    RHP Spencer Arrighetti
    OF Corey Julks
    RHP Forrest Whitley

Astros address all their needs (SP, RP, LHH) while only giving up 1 of their top 10 prospects. Padres get a #3 SP with multiple years of control, a swap of a 2 yr CF for an equivalent CF with an extra year, a solid 4th OF/DH, a good pitching prospect who is nearly ready for the majors, and a faded pitching prospect with elite ceiling.

Astros playoff roster:
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    1B Abreu
    RF Tucker
    LF McCormick
    CF Grisham
    SS Pena
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Diaz, Dubon, Kessinger, Salazar
    Rotation: Framber, Snell, Brown, Javier