1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or maybe they were just looking to move KPJ back to a more natural position. There's no argument for Jalen Green being the better player right now....I know some of you guys are convinced that one of these days he's going to magically turn into Kobe, but there's no indication that fantasy is in any way based on reality.

If Udoka was serious about handing out roles and minutes based on merit, that's bad news for Green unless he gets a lot better immediately.

2. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

People like you make me think that the Rockets deserve all they've had to endure these past years.

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. invocux

invocux Member

Stop acting like a 120 years old Chinese monk who has finally unlocked the secret of life. "The game is beyond just numbers..." stop with the Confucius bs the only truth here is that we are a terrible 3pt shooting team and our franchise corner stone sg can't shoot.

justinh likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Waiting for @Clutch's "Alperen Sengun putting in work" thread.

clos4life, BHannes2BHonest and J.R. like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

skeleton.img

justinh and clos4life like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

New thread up, assisting @Clutch ;)

CXbby and clos4life like this.
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Whatever it takes for him to sh** on Jalen, he’s going to do.

Even if it means putting another important part of the Rockets rotation against him.

Obviously we signed FVV to start… Amen will be the incumbent starter eventually, and Jalen will be the starting SG for the Rockets this upcoming season. Which would regulate KPJ to the bench.

Then we’ll hear how Ime doesn’t know what he’s doing out there and how he should be fired when we lose games. When we win or Jalen plays amazing, all that talk will quiet down.

Basically all I’m saying is don’t waste your breath on this one… it truly is a lost cause.

Arnel, Stephen_A and duluth111222 like this.
  9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

@Bobbythegreat it’s impossible to take your position seriously when you use hyperbole like “Jalen green is a terrible basketball player.” Not a single professional scout, coach, player, or anyone involved in the game would even remotely agree with such a ridiculous hyperbolic take. Stats are irrelevant when it’s entirely based on a shitty 20 win team for a 2nd year player… HE’S DEVELOPING!

It’s one thing to say he’s overrated or you don’t see him becoming efficient or a star. It’s just plain stupid to say he is a terrible player.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

uhh, no. Amen can’t shoot. Jalen Green just isn’t a great shooter. He also takes a lot of bad shots — including hot potato shots he’s forced to take at end of shot clock. If you think he “can’t shoot” you don’t know basketball or what truly bad shooters look like. He’s not Ray Allen, that doesn’t make him Dwight Howard..

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

‘he’s not a Dwight Howard” is an absurd low bar for a shooting guard.

You’re right, Jalen Green is an OK shooter and he doesn’t have to be RaynAllen, he just need to be respected so that people don’t drop-off of him to prevent the drive.

The thing is, he needs to be much-much better to justify his time on the court, given that he’s a total zero on D. Actually, the way he played D last year, he probably needs to be at 115% eFG to justify his time on the court. Assuming that he can bring his D up to a non-horrible level, like Steph Curry - D-level, he still needs to be way, way, way better shooter than now, to justify playing time for a team that is trying to win.

Corrosion and invocux like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Say it however you want, he's somewhere around the 55th percentile overall as a player and one of the absolute worst on defense in the entire league.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Find me an offensively minded player on a bad team in his second year that ISNT an atrocious defender…

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Boobythegreat wasn't even a kpj stan initially, just choose him and garrison as a way to sht on green to justify his pining for mobley and trigger folks rooting green. Now that he so dug in deep with his sht takes and knee jerk reaction to green, he doubles down, triple down on his adoration for kpj simply just so he can sht on green.

Man is still pining for mobley to this day which is quite sad. Also the forum clowning on his brewer 2.0 take makes him take a jab at green whenever he can.

Dont worry boobythegreat will eventually claim that all of his sht takes and criticism of green was just him being a "concerned rockets fan" since he done it before

#294 DatRocketFan, Jul 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you catch yourself saying things that are essentially "Who cares if he's literally one of the worst defensive players in the entire league" you might have a problem.

Legitimately good players don't require those kinds of excuses.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

yes, context is very problematic

17. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

hey man, i don't pop in much. i think all your points are reasonable in a vacuum, really. you're clearly smart, super well informed, and have an admirable grasp of how to assess basketball - both in terms of eye tests and in terms of meaningful statistics.

but maybe give pause and have a think about what the experience is like for other people when you insist on bogging every thread down in an argument about jalen green. it's honestly unpleasant, even for those people who might agree with you on the merits. i mean i don't even recoil from arguments generally - either participating in them or following along as other people have them - but there's some weird sort of self-centeredness and/or self-indulgence that seems to lay behind your need to return the conversation to this one thing all the time, across every thread.

Arnel and Bobbythegreat like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't providing context, you're providing spin....a dishonest framing of the situation.

The narrative that every young player on a bad team is literally one of the worst defensive players in the entire league is flat out false.

We're talking like first percentile of NBA defenders here.

Sorry killer, there's just no excuse for that.

19. invocux

invocux Member

Everybody took a lot of bad shots. I remember more than 5 instances where Sengun had to shoot from behind 3pt line before shot clock expired or Jabari had to shoot over ppl who were glued to him because his teammates, coaches never cared about him. Silas screwed everybody over with his terrible schemes not just Jalen. Jalen is a subpar 3pt shooting guard that's undisputable. League average must be around 36% and he's not there. That Dwight Howard argument is simply laughable btw a shooting guard HAS TO shoot well. Honestly i said a week ago i don't wanna talk about Green anymore. If he does well next season i'll root for him if his shooting doesn't improve move on from him. I learned my lesson a super fan can not be win. You guys are certain that he's the second coming of Kobe while i don't. Hope i'm wrong.

#299 invocux, Jul 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair criticism, I really should ignore those who make really dumb comments and tag me in them with the intention of stating this kind of thing back up especially since there's not going to be much of substance to talk about for the next few months.

I think the best thing for everyone would be if this is the year Jalen Green finally becomes a net positive player. That way the cult can continue worshipping and there will at least be a slight case for their over the top praise. I think that would make things much more peaceful around here.

fattz likes this.