1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

So does Seattle need to make a deal with New Orleans to bring in some Cajun and become more diverse, or with Boston to make their seafood even stronger?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s one of the things that has happened in Austin, although it’s not at the heart of why I think Austin is a world class food city. For 15-20 years, Austin was getting massive hype as a good place to live, and that resulted in tons of chefs and restauranteurs coming in from California and New Orleans and elsewhere. That’s different from places like NY, LA, Chicago, SF, and Houston, which are long time metropolises that had varied ethnic communities contributing to their food culture. It’s not as good. But when you consider it a complement to the amazing BBQ and Tex-Mex scene that were already there, it contributes to what makes Austin a fantastic place to eat (although not as good as Houston etc.).

raining threes likes this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I live very close to New Orleans. We go in about every month or six weeks and eat at a nice restaurant in town so I have eaten at a lot of them.

My opinion…. Many good restaurants but doesnt hold a candle to Houston.

JeeberD and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Astros get
    Alex Cobb
    Mike Yastrzemski

Giants get
    Shohei Ohtani
    Jake Meyers

Angels get
    Pedro Leon
    Jacob Melton
    Misael Tamarez
    Carson Whisenhunt
    Vaun Brown
    Aeverson Arteaga

More time later.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Astros get a legitimate SP and LF bat who can play all 3 OF positions.

Giants get Ohtani who improves both rotation and lineup as well as hopefully giving them a leg up on signing him. Meyers gives them legitimate CF defender with upside and 4 years of control. They get Ohtani without giving up any of their top 3 prospects, or top prospect at any position.

Angels get 1 55 grade prospect, 3 50 grade prospects, and 2 45 grade prospects for a rental.

6. raining threes

I cant decide wether I like Boston or San Francisco seafood more. I enjoy Boston much more than San Francisco. I dont like San Francisco's weather.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You must be going to the wrong places

In my opinion the “nicer” restaurants in NOLA aren’t the best, it’s the little family owned hole in the wall places that are incredible.

roadtrip likes this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would love some recommendations. Admittedly, we’ve been focusing on some of the bigger names over the last couple years.

Next week we are going to Shaya. We ate there right when it opens and it was phenomenal, we just haven’t ever gotten around to getting back, but I am excited about it.

9. chrish23

chrish23 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread has turned into Yelp!

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think we should target Montgomery and Carlson.
    Carlson is a switch hitter. And has upside. But hasn't put it all togather yet.
    He has the tools on all aspects of a trade. And would be a pricey add. But like I said before hasn't put it all togather yet. He can play all OF spots.
    Just think about it. Put him CF and LF for the year. Let him learn from Tucker Yordan etc. See how he acts in a new organization. Pay the price

11. The Beard

You must be going to the wrong places

In my opinion the “nicer” restaurants in NOLA aren’t the best, it’s the little family owned hole in the wall places that are incredible.
    If you are ever there for breakfast try out Marjoria's Commerce Street Diner. Tiny hole in the wall place owned by a guy who is usually there and is a huge LSU fan. The Commerce "Whole Biscuit" is one of the best things i've ever ate. It's in the quarter close to the big Sheraton on Canal

Another favorite is Li'l Dizzy's Cafe. Only open for breakfast and lunch, they close mid afternoon. Again, it's not a white table cloth place to take someone to wow them with the building, but damn the food

If you like Oysters Felix Oyster House has some outstanding charbroiled Oysters. Their fried seafood is good but nothing special, but the various Oyster dishes are outstanding

Probably my favorite place (other than Majoria's breakfast) is a place called Public Service. It's actually the Hotel restaurant at the NOPSI. The "Public Service Oysters" are incredible. It's not a big menu but they usually have a few off the menu items that are legit

Outside of those, many of the best are outside of the quarter.

We've gone to a lot of the big name places in NOLA also, most were ok, none really met expectations though. I could write a book on all the side street places that served up amazin food though

Damnit, now you got me wanting to take a trip

12. The Beard

So bench Chas and his .800 OPS to play Carlson and his .715, which is boosted by his hammering of LHP cause he struggles to get over .600 vs RHP which is where we need help. And trade away assets to do so. Because he just hasn't put it together yet?

Hmmm, think I could probably find better use of our somewhat limited trade assets than to go get an OF who hits LHP and that's about it

13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

No action by anyone in the league.
    Sellers seeing how much they can extract from the bidders.
    It's a sellers market.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Really wish there was some clarity on Brantley. If he’s coming back then the offense really just needs to get/stay healthy in order to be one of the best/deepest in the league. If he’s not, a lefthanded bat of some kind is probably the best move they can make outside of miraculously acquiring a ToR SP.

15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

They should just assume he's done. Even if he comes back, just assume there's potential for him to get discomfort again and gets shutdown. If he stays healthy, just an added bonus.

raining threes and panamamyers like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MJ Melendez would be an interesting hedge candidate. He’s having a down year for the Royals but his power numbers are still excellent and he’s playing out of position in a park that is illsuited for his bat. Hits LH, can play C, 1B, and LF. He’s 880 pa into his MLB career and has been well below replacement level, so maybe KC is willing to cut bait. If they’d take a package of something like Corey Julks and Pedro Leon, I think that would be a good trade for Houston.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Also, even if he does come back for 1 or 2 months, who’s to say he would hit well over that short time. People are assuming we are gonna get the same Brantley right away. That’s kinda foolish.

raining threes and punkoholic like this.
  18. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Would that be considered selling low for the Royals? If yes, I wonder if they just hold onto him. Now there's talk that Perez might get traded. If he does, would they just have Melendez as their new catcher? Or do they have another option at C?

19. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Dodgers targeting Giolito

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I guess we have to agree to disagree. Btw, texmex in Austin is not great despite the hype. Houston, San Antonio, and the valley has better texmex. Literally o6n Dallas has worse but it pretty much has better everything else.

I say this as a person who's lived here for 30 years and is pretty well connected in the food scene.

SWTsig likes this.