1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Driving and scoring in the paint is very unlikely to be a problem for Whitmore. With his strength, athleticism, and size he should be a monster attacking the rim.

AroundTheWorld and eliefor3 like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

As long as the lane is fairly open, he'll be alright. His judgment on some plays is questionable, though. There are times he seems out of control on his drives or just needs better shoes. He also seems to want to take it up on 7-footers repeatedly. He's already finding that a bit more difficult in the Summer League and it's probably going to get more difficult in the regular season.

I love the outside shot and the fact the threat of making it gets mixed in. So now he needs to figure out when to pass and not just jack it up from out there. I've also liked his defense (for the most part) and not giving up on his mistakes and getting back on defense.

Mathloom, burlesk and i3artow i3aller like this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Whitmore right now is like a pure scorer. If he was getting minutes, it'd be off the bench as a 6th man. Instant microwave kinda guy.

He's still really young though, so a lot of potential to increase his passing skills. Defensively, he's solid.

I'm pretty sure he'll be in the G-league for the most part of next year, hopefully they develop his passing down there.

burlesk, Hakeemtheking and eliefor3 like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I buy that shooting long-term. Ceiling is a bigger, stronger AntMan.

5. AggieRocketFan96

Very impressed with Cam. He has a relentless motor and is much more physical than I expected. Just needs some good coaching and run. this kid is going to be a special player and will for sure have a spot in this year’s rotation.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Could see him having Rockets legend Von Wafer-like impact off the bench in his first year.

burlesk and i3artow i3aller like this.
  7. meh

meh Contributing Member

It was 11 but point taken

burlesk likes this.
  8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I agree. My reference was more long term for him. I doubt that's a problem in years to come.

9. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

Cam has a sweet stroke and he takes good shoots in my opinion. I also think he is impactful on d, especially with deflections and steals. He puts pressure on his man and I like that.

The thing I see is that his balance or center of gravity is a little off. He has trouble finishing the last step or exploding to complete the steals. I think it could be a slight weight issue. The player and package is there, just gotta tighten him up a bit and get him through some play reps.

I think he is exciting

Bo6, burlesk, Denovo and 1 other person like this.
  10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I haven’t seen tunnel vision this vicious since Von Wafer.

burlesk and BigShasta like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

The more I watch Cam the more he reminds me of Jaylen Brown. Similar size and build, same tendency to put his shoulder down and tunnelvision on the rim while missing open shooters, pretty good shooter and can create his own shot at 2-3 levels. Good defensive intensity, especially 1-on-1, but not great team defense.

He's very young. I think he is going to be a project this year, but something like Brown might be his ultimate ceiling if he sticks with it and stays healthy.

Bo6, Mathloom, Denovo and 3 others like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The growth between his first game and second game was evident.

Getting him at 20 still blows my mind. Dude is flashing big time.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Did you not watch Josh Christopher?

ChillyPete32 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  15. PeppermintCandy

IMO Whitmore has had a fantastic start. He's probably playing a more complementary role than he's used to, and you can tell he's already trying to figure things out.

But at the same time, he's not giving up on being ultra aggressive. No deer in the headlights with this guy.
    And you can tell if he sees the opportunity, he's going to be looking to score. If honed properly, this aggressiveness could really add a dimension to the Rockets' offense in the coming years.

Great start, and I hope he keeps it up.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That jumper is super polished in terms of his mechanics. Him hitting shots isn't a fluke. He's going to be a genuine shooter.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

That's all I wanted

burlesk and Hui like this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Cam played different from the 1st game. You can see someone told him if you want to play you need to pass the ball, he played well. Also, I know he was a good shooter from last year at Villanova but I did not see a mid range shot last year. He was either a 3 point shooter or driving to the basket. He really worked on his game this summer, he is a hard worker

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Cam played different from the 1st game. You can see someone told him if you want to play you need to pass the ball, he played well. Also, I know he was a good shooter from last year at Villanova but I did not see a mid range shot last year. He was either a 3 point shooter or driving to the basket. He really worked on his game this summer, he is a hard worker