1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson maybe.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I bet lots of good starting C's foul out against him too

2. i3artow i3aller

3. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

What did these say, !3!3? They're unavailable now.

HTownTmac1, clos4life and BigShasta like this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Rondo? You are underestimating Amen. Rondo never had no burst or speed or handles like Amen. If he can’t shoot and continues to play with great Court vision and intensity on both ends he will be better than Rondo. But remember Rondo actually improved his 3 pt shot in his 9th year or so. If he could evolve so can Amen.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Rondo was a 4x all-star, 4x all-defense, 1x all-NBA, 3x assists leader. I agree Amen has better physical tools than Rondo. He will probably be a better scorer as a result. Remains to be seen if his playmaking is quite as elite as Rondo's, although I do think it will be very good at a minimum.

In any case, if he ended up providing Rondo-level value overall I think that would be a perfectly acceptable outcome.

roslolian, cheke64, randerson and 2 others like this.
  6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It would be an amazing outcome. Rondo was great.

OremLK likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I will say that it didn’t take longer than about 2 minutes to know right away that he probably has the most upside of all of the past 3 drafts. I still think Jalen has the best chances of being an all star player the soonest, but as far as upside goes, there’s a lot here that we haven’t seen yet.

arabrocket likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Use your imagination. The comp is a 6"7 super fast Rondo. The comp is very fair

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I’m on the AT bandwagon. I was very skeptical about his offense and still am, as NBA teams will begin to give him space and collapse on him until he can develop a respectable shot but man everything else is SOLID. His IQ displayed against POR has given me new perspective. His vision and feel for the game is special. A lot of maturity in his game, as he plays with patience and makes the right reads. I’m really excited to see what he does with two scoring wings like Green and KPJ.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I remember you telling me the rockets should trade the pick for a win now vet, or draft lively, because amen would take 2 years in the gleague and put stone on the hot seat. I hate to say I told you so :)

we can both be happy the rockets are in a great place with him. and I agree with your post here, he has the potential to end up being the best player on the team. amen, jalen, tari, jabari, and sengun will be a great lineup, then sub whitmore in for sengun to close with 5-out/switch everything. I'm excited.

yixiixiy, justinh and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I really like the tall Rondo with more athleticism comp. I don't know if Amen will ever get to double digit assists but no comp is perfect. And this is all assuming he never learns how to shoot, by the way. If he learns how to shoot the sky is the limit. I loved what I saw in the one summer league game and was really bummed to hear he's out for the rest. I cannot wait to watch him play against nba competition.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I thought the same thing when I watched him. Taller, more explosive Rondo.

aristophanes34 and cheke64 like this.
  13. AggieRocketFan96

Best attribute I saw with Amen in his first SL game is his mental composure. He looks like he’s all business, constantly communicating with his teammates and making the game easier for them. He has a very assured confidence and one helluva of quick first step. Very surprising to see in a rookie for sure.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Guys, Amen needs to show that he has big league spitting skill to be compared to Rondo.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I still think he is 2 years away, but it will be fun watching him get there.

And I would kill for Lively.

DD

smoothie likes this.
  16. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Yeah man..right on

17. DaDakota

Exactly.

DD

18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

So in other words, we learned nothing.

Some things never change lol.

19. DaDakota

Nah, we are just going to take longer to get there.....we picked up some leadership, from mediocre players, but our Core is still our best bet.

DD

20. j@amc

j@amc Member

In the spirit of this thread, Rondo may be the floor for Amen Thompson. He's got all the talent in the world. Excited to see what may happen.

BaselineFade likes this.