1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Collateral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Did anybody else watch it? I saw it last night and I enjoyed it. Tom Cruise does an excellent job as a villian and he should try it more often. There should be no doubt now that Jaime Foxx is a good dramatic actor.

The story seems pretty original, but I've thought that before only to find out otherwise.

Michael Mann did a great job and we get to see parts of LA we don't usually experience in big budget action thrillers. You all have seen the trailer, so you know the story. There are gonna be some problems with plausibility, but they can be easily overlooked as you are caught up in the movie. The main one, of course, is why would a hitman hire out a cab instead of driving himself around. Cruise says that he needs somebody who can get him around quickly. Of course, it's just his luck that he picks Foxx, the only cabbie in LA who tries to get his clients where they're going as fast as possible.

2. New Jack

New Jack Member

I thought it was fantastic. If Denezel gets an Oscar for Training Day, Cruise should get one for this movie.

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Good movie but not great. I thought it was a pretty original idea. Cruise does a good villain, not Lestat good, but definitely entertaining.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It got terrific reviews overall on http://www.rottentomatoes.com I was surprised as Cruise doesn't always please the critics. I'll have to check it out.

5. daNasty

daNasty Member

I'm not crazy for these kind of genre for movies but I'll check it out for the way Mann's is directing it in HD.

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

looks too similar to that crazy episode of Six Feet Under a few weeks ago

7. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Collateral is excellent. I saw it last night. Extremely well filmed. Every scene, every line has a purpose. Well tied together.. only problem is a slightly predictable ending. Extremely well filmed.. the director uses digital for alot of shots and footage. Very different side of LA shown. Foxx and Cruise are at the top of their game as is Smith. Actually had a few very funny moments as well.. in addition to some downright thrilling scenes.

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Jamie Foxx steals the entire movie. Tom Cruise does well with his character, but honestly, he just doesn't have as much to work with. I think the marketing campaign for this movie has been pretty crappy, especially when you consider that it is only going to make about $25-30 million this weekend when some of the crap that has been put out recently has made much more.

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Have you seen the trailer for Foxx's Ray Charles movie? This guy is getting on a roll.

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I work at a movie theater and collateral seems to be bombing. Cinderella story is still going strong though .:rolleyes:

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's weird because just based on the friday estimates collateral will comfortably be the #1 movie of the weekend, and Cinderella story is more like in the #8-10 range.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2004-08-06&p=.htm

The Village on the other hand, looks like it's going to have a Hulk-Style mega-bomb second week dropoff.

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

he probably lives in some girly man city or state:D

13. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I also work at a movie theater, and while I wouldn't say Collateral is bombing, it isn't setting the world on fire. It is doing a lot less business than some of the other cinematic turds that have been dropped this summer. For a Tom Cruise movie (and an excellent one, at that), Collateral isn't doing all that well. Something about the marketing campaign for this movie hasn't impressed me at all, especially with such a strong film.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the previews are only interesting enough to where good word of mouth has enticed me to go see it. they definitely could have done a way better job promoting it.

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I have been really excited about this movie. I thought that it looked awesome from the first trailer that I saw. I hope to see it as soon as we can get a babysitter.

I also saw the Ray Charles trailer and think Foxx is about to make a huge break out. I think he has a huge upside perhaps in the same mold as Tom Hanks. He started out in comedy and look where he is now.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/ray/

I'll always remember Foxx best as Willy Beaman.

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

It's nice that Foxx is finally getting some respect. I liked him in Any Given Sunday and Ali.

18. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Saw Collateral this afternoon. It was fantastic!! Tom Cruise played his part to perfection. You really wanted to find out what made this guy tick. Jamie Foxx was great in his role as well.

The scene inside the nightclub Fever was amazing. Great way to spend two hours!!!

Now I also saw Open Water and that on the other hand was a complete bomb... Talk about a terrible ending...

19. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

4th biggest opening of any Tom Cruise film (behind only Minority Report and Mission: Impossile 1 & 2) and the biggest ever opening for an R-rated Tom Cruise film.

It's the 10th highest open for an August film all time.

I think they'll do okay.

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

i liked the movie. jamie foxx made it what it is...and that's damn good.