1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

General question about betting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jul 2, 2023.

?

If you now the outcome before you offer a wager you are? Is that ok?

1. Yes - any advantage is ok

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No - that is pretty slimy

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Buck Turgidson

I bet you it's spelled "vittles"

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No. My bet was that you could also spell it victuals. Brought a dictionary (this was in the 1990’s) and won 50 bucks. The other guy threw a temper tantrum. He was one of those street lawyer types who said he didn’t need a college degree to know anything (which is true if you work at it). He was a dumbass.

3. Buck Turgidson

I still swear they're the same person.

4. Buck Turgidson

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vittles

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6. Buck Turgidson

I have leftover gravy from fried chicken tenders, and biscuits, and collard greens.

Biscuits + Gravy = Vittles for lunch

Wish I had a squirrel or a rabbit, one's all you need

Guess I could shoot the whitewings in the yard?

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If the information was already public knowledge and you were simply unaware and wagered on the wrong side, then there's nothing wrong with that.

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

In my opinion, it comes down to whether both parties understand the boundary of the other person's knowledge before the bet.

Slimy
    I bet someone that the Rockets won their game last night even though I already looked up the score beforehand while the other person is under the impression that I didn't know either.

Not Slimy
    There was a disagreement on whether the Rockets had beaten the Knicks or the Magic in 1994 Finals. I know that it was the Knicks, but the other person insists that it's the Magic. Even though I know I am 100% correct, it's not slimy to enter a wager since both parties understood that the other person could know the right answer. They just thought they were right and I was wrong. Though if I had said 'Ohhh I am no really not sure which one it is, but I think it's the Knicks' even thought I 100% knew, then it's back to slimy.

Haymitch likes this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Not to derail, but this reminded me of when I was a kid, and Paul Boesch's Houston Wrestling was filmed on Friday nights and aired Saturday nights on Channel 39.

I would read the newspaper Saturday morning for the winners and bet my dad that night on the matches...I would win a few dollars every weekend. I found out years later my dad knew what I was doing the whole time.

On a side note, he took me to watch wrestling live 2 or 3 times a year and I had signed autographs of all the old wrestlers: Wahoo McDaniel, Johnny Valentine, Wild Bull Curry, Mil Mascaras, etc. Wish I still had all those old signed pics.

Invisible Fan and jchu14 like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I felt so smart the day i learned that vittles stood for victuals.

Then again, i spent most of my early childhood watching Beverley Hillbillies reruns

Rashmon and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was not public. And if it were, that isn't a good honorable thing to do either.

DD

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nothing dishonorable about using public information to stay informed. If you're on the losing side, think of it as "tuition" for a learning experience.