1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

2. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Effective Field Goal % doesn't include free throws, which Brooks gave up tons of thanks to his fouling, make that TS% and get back to us.

3. Astros713

Astros713 Member

I'm warming up to him, I guess.
    27 years old, gonna be his peak years hopefully.
    I like him getting coached up by Ime.

#603 Astros713, Jul 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    kubli9 likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I do not think he gets this contract if we were bidding against ourselves. I know its cool to say that, but yeah he's an all-nba defender, all it takes is one team being interested to drive up a price. Not 4 or 5, one.

I don't like the contract myself but at the same time in the offseason i keep my mouth shut until I see results. If at the end of the year we are competing for a playoff spot I'll take the contract. The new NBA rules will not allot teams to horde cap space any more and again this whole fantasy that one day Giannis is going to be a UFA and we can sign him with cap space is just that. A fantasy.

More likely to get a star player through trade now and the only way to do that is to make your team attractive by building a competitive team and a culture. We have to pay a premium for that now, it is what it is.

ROCKSS, DeBeards, Jontro and 5 others like this.
  5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Perhaps you can complete your smart analysis and cite the numbers by yourself. Or perhaps you cannot find it because it simply is not true.

He’s an excellent defender. There is no way around it. Make peace with that.

BMoney likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3.3 fouls per game, which is up there. The DPOY Jaren Jackson had 3.6, Alpi 3.4, Giannis 3.1, etc.

In terms of free throws caused, not sure how to look this up. Not all of them would have been shooting fouls/in the bonus.

BMoney and Tuckmose like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah his defensive stats seem a bit weird. BBref defensive stats (and maybe some others) don't look great, but there are others that put him very high.

https://dunksandthrees.com/epm
    This has him as 95th percentile on EDPM.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/
    Defensive RAPTOR has him 10th overall SF (like 42 overall with everyone).

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1628415/defense-dash?SeasonType=Regular+Season
    At least based on this, he seems to hold his matchups to -2.8% FG overall, which seems comparable to some other guys top defenders I checked (Caruso, OG, Holiday, Smart, White, etc.).

I guess there's that stat Alykhan tweeted about as well. I want to say his Synergy numbers are fairly good, but I'm going off what...someone (I can't remember)...said, as I don't have access to them at this time.

So...based on that and his second team all NBA defense selection, I'm guessing he's *probably* pretty good on defense, and that's why Ime wants him so much (along with locker room/culture stuff I guess). Whether that is worth the absolutely horrendous impact he has on offense (see that in all those same metrics I just shared) is another story.

Deckard, Tuckmose, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Behold!

[​IMG]

Now this doesn't account for non-shooting fouls committed in the bonus, but that's more circumstantial and outside of a players control whether those turn into free throws or not.

Jaren Jackson Jr., who has to contend with players driving right at him to the rim, gave up 109 shooting fouls, albiet in fewer games played. But not a good example IMO, so I'll compare him to other defensive wings.

Lou Dort committed 111 in 74 games played, Royce O'Neal really up there with 134, same number for Aaron Nesmith.

As for their other defensive numbers, DBPM likes Royce O'Neal, but doesn't like Dort (excluding his rookie year), Brooks, and Nesmith.

The lesson? Shooting fouls mostly come with shots defended, and isn't a real indicator of defensive prowess alone (barring the rookies who appear on the list). White, Caruso, and Holiday all made the all defense teams (and are good defenders, especially Caruso holy ****) while not fouling much at all, and Green, Brooks, and JJJ made them while fouling quite a bit.

Also Al-P is like 3rd in fouls committed, those rumors of him being 6'11" now better be true.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My ninja

DeBeards and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't disagree with JJ Redick's overall thesis, about needing an all-defensive stopper who is a pest etc, but Dillon Brooks needs to play like that's his primary role and stop jacking up 14 shots a game then publicly demanding more. Take a page from others of the archetype. Career per game averages: Patrick Beverley (7.2 shots), Draymond Green, (7.1), PJ Tucker (5.8), Trevor Ariza (8.8), Marcus Smart (9.2), Dennis Rodman (5.8), Tony Allen (6.6)--the great players of this archetype shoot about half as much as Brooks does, give or take a shot or two.

His head is totally f***ed up with delusions of grandeur or something. You can become a Hall of Fame player without taking a lot of shots, and it's possible Dillon could even be that type of guy, but not if you ruin your team's offense by chucking brick after brick.

I hope I'm wrong and Udoka can really work with him to at least get his attempts under 10 and persuade him to buy in on that kind of role, because if not I'm very worried that our already-bad offense might get even worse despite further player development and the addition of FVV and Amen.

NewAge likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He is 5th (behind Jaren Jackson, Sabonis, Myles Turner and Jaden McDaniels), Brooks is 7th.

Almost all the players in the top 20 of fouls committed have a reputation as good defenders.

And Alpi draws almost as many shooting fouls as he commits.

13. OkayAyeReloaded

There still isn't a great defensive stat, advance or otherwise due to noise, missing info, etc. A holistic approach as well as watching film works well. Personally, I focus on film primarily for defense, matchups situations, etc.

The fact that he's pitted against the most all-stars in matchups and does well tells me a lot about his competitive nature. Not to mention the reported quotes about his film study and defensive preparation.

NewAge, peleincubus and Easy like this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I already hate him, so hopefully it’s only uphill from here for me

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In retrospect, Dillon got tons of leeway in Memphis until Jenkins got enough of his antics.

Memphis got a cultural crisis with Morant flashing guns or toy pistols.......and they would not want any other distractions.

I am also speculating there were other locker room issues.

OremLK likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was Memphis at their young best but it went downhill this last season.

Also they could not advance more in the Playoffs.

If you make a reel of all the misses then it would not look that good.

Astros713 likes this.
  17. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I give the off-season an F so far. I don’t mind the players we’ve signed. What I know is that they were seeking less money…

There are numerous, verified published reported that FVV wanted 4 years, $130 million, and would have been OK with 3 years $100 million or 2 years $80 million.

Why does saving $3 million in cap space mean something?
    Because then the Rockets wouldn’t have had to trade a bunch of young former FRPs and cash to Atlanta and Memphis for nothing. Those assets could’ve been used in a larger trade for a major star. In fact, I would’ve traded them by now for Beal, Porzingis, or Ayton. Young assets with small contracts are exactly what teams looking to dump their stars with big contracts want.

With Dillon Brooks: love the guy, but it was a known fact he was looking for four years, $70 million in free agency… and it’s a known fact that Memphis could’ve maxed him out at 4 years $61 million, and they declined to do so. Once Detroit drafted Ausar Thompson and traded for Joe Harris (both swingmen who play Brooks’ positions), then Houston became the only team willing to hand Brooks a guaranteed contract of three years. Once again, there are numerous recent pieces that Brooks’ value was $13 million a year maximum because any team interested in him could only offer the Bi-Annual Exception. The Rockets could’ve easily locked up Brooks for 4 years $60 million instead of $80 million, and saved $5 million in cap space during the process.

I think Stone went crazy having all this cap space to spend and not being as meticulous as someone who’s budgeting should be.

Again, I like FVV and Brooks signings, but the Rockets unnecessary overpaid for them.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Maybe Brooks actually wanted to get the hell out because of Ja Morant's BS, including having to be around Ja Morant's incredibly annoying dad.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It’s very easy for Ime to get him to buy in. If he doesn’t do what he coach wants him to do then he goes to the bench. He’s a Rocket now lets at least give the guy a chance.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. mightybosstone

Deleted. Wrong thread.

#620 mightybosstone, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023