1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 2, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2023.
  1. Yes

146 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

308 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They aren't targeting him, they are targeting the basket. And more often than not, he was the only Houston Rockets player who bothered to step between the opposing player and the basket. Basically, anytime Tari or Garuba was not on the court with him at the same time. Duh.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your opinion exists despite all evidence to the contrary... by all means, convince yourself of whatever hilarious "opinion" you want to pretend to have, but you'll have to understand that when you express such hilarious opinions, you'll be faced with the facts that refute it.

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah you haven't watched my games.

What I meant was teams pick the opponents worst defender & force him to switch and guard their best offensive player. Sengun isn't stepping over to do anything bc he's usually getting blown past or scored over. Jake Valanciunas looked like White Shaq against Sengun, can't blame KPJ or Silas for that

4. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

5. Astros713

Astros713 Member

6. xaos

xaos Member

Drift Monkey and stefanb like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I mean at some points various people were happy with Russell Westbrook here, so who knows what's right and wrong anymore.

stefanb likes this.
  9. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I hate this contract, but come on, Dillon Brooks is an uber-elite wing defender. There's a nontrivial argument that he is *the best* wing defender in the league.

10. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I hate this contract, but come on, Dillon Brooks is an uber-elite wing defender. There's a nontrivial argument that he is *the best* wing defender in the league.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

12. OkayAyeReloaded

Now this right here is what I'm talking about.

If you've ever played competitive sports that laser focus, and will to win is what motivates every competitive team.

It rubs off on people, especially when you start winning it becomes contagious. You have to harness that and have guys playing for each other with team success over individual success being the goal.

If Draymond truly was his idol growing up, this can be a very good signing. We'll see how they play

kpdark and xaos like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Drift Monkey and ak99999 like this.
  14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

If it was up to me, Dillon Brooks wouldn't be a target. I admit that I wasn't fully aware of how good a defender he seems to me, but nah, he's just not someone I wanted.

Based on reporting, Ime/Stone clearly wanted Dillon Brooks. I don't fully understand why (even with the impressive defensive metrics), but he was one of their top targets. I won't pretend to know more than them (especially Ime) on what this team needs, so I'll throw away my own personal assessment of whether Dillon Brooks is valuable to this team.

Having said that, it seems fairly clear that HOU was mostly bidding against themselves, and they ended up giving more money (not as a big of a deal IMO) *AND* 1-2 more years than I think he deserved (kinda a big deal IMO). OK, maybe Brooks says if you don't give me 4/80 (vs only 2/40), I'll go to LAL for 2/25 or something like that. The Shitty Team/Silas Tax in fully effect. If he really wants say no to $15M, let him do it.

I guess this goes back to what I assess his value at vs what Ime/Stone assess his value at, but I just can't see his talent being worth that huge overpay. I get that frontloading it will result in a contract that might not look so bad in 3-4 years, but I'm still pretty worried about how this will impact things (especially with future potential deals).

So I'm happy they got one of their main targets, not happy with the IMO huge overpay, which pushes me into the "do not like" camp. What's done is done though, so I'm happy to be delusional enough to think he'll only shoot 8 times a game, and basically be PJ Tucker on steroids.

Hopefully Ime knows his stuff.

ilias likes this.
  15. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

He is very immature and a very streaky shooter

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What I still don't understand is why Memphis made it a point they would not keep him UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. That was very unusual, and it seems to contradict the very positive statements by his coach?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. OkayAyeReloaded

Hate and love are two sides of the same coin. Ignore the words and look at his actions, what kind of player he's become. We'll see what happens, looking forward to it.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

IIRC, I think Alykhan or Jackson (maybe both?) hinted that it was more complicated in MEM than what we think. If I understood right, Dillon Brooks didn't want to go back to MEM at all either apparently. There were hints that their locker room/culture is falling apart, and I guess Brooks wanted to get out of there before things blew up completely (I'm assuming he tried to help out to no avail).

Of course, I'm now part of the Dillon Brooks Defense Force (whether I like it or not), so who knows exactly how much stock to put into that. But maybe something like that *would* explain things a bit.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

The clamp montage is nice. We need this and a PG so welcome aboard FVV and Brooks.

eliefor3 likes this.
  20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member