1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 2, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2023.
  1. Yes

146 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

308 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Outright false information lol... I opined that Memphis didn't have to say anything about not signing him but chose to anyway. How was that corrected?

I'm 37 years old Robert.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You said he was a good player for them, that's outright false information

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think Jeff Green and FVV can calm him down, sometimes you need guys like him…Ron Artest and Dennis Rodman won a lot of championships….Draymond Green won 4 and would not have won them without him. We are looking to build a culture like Miami

4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think Jeff Green and FVV can calm him down, sometimes you need guys like him…Ron Artest and Dennis Rodman won a lot of championships….Draymond Green won 4 and would not have won them without him. We are looking to build a culture like Miami

5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Dennis Rodman 5.8 FGA
    Draymond 7.1 FGA
    Artest 11.4 FGA and he was actually a decent scorer
    Brooks 13.1 FGA with no real offensive ability other than catch and shoot 3s. But loves to dribble and take pull-ups. Loves to slowly lurch to the basket and get blocked. Loves stupid Kobe fadeaways. All on a team with 2 All stars and a very good scorer in Bane.

stefanb, justtxyank, Tuckmose and 2 others like this.
  6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Right. The key to whether this signing ends up working is if Brooks can buy into being the defensive leader and culture setter while being the 4th/5th option on offense who really should just take open catch and shoot threes, transition buckets, and whatnot. If he buys into that this signing could work really well. I’m skeptical that happens but at least have some hope Ime can get him to play in a way that helps. If Silas was still coaching this signing would make me puke.

lakersuck2 and anthony59237 like this.
  7. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

I’m a no but I’m also a lay fan and I’m hoping the guys in the front office see something I don’t.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

i think $20M/yr is very fair for a 2nd team All-Defensive player nowadays. it's DB's character issues, style of play, off-court distraction that worries me. the most hated team just added the most hated player in the league.

not sure what Dillon Brooks can teach our youngsters? the trash talking skills? can't imagine the distraction affects he brings to the team. the Rockets will have even more hard time to lure stars to Houston because of him.

ok toughness and defense right?
    i assume this $80millions guy is going to start at the 3, as a mentor to his back-up Tari Eason and Cam Whitmore, you need to spent that money to teach Tari Eason & Cam Whitmore to be tough and to play defense? this is a joke

there're different "Dogs", Tari and Cam both has the dog in them, they need the likes of FVV / Jeff Green / Brook Lopez / EG ... type to show them professionalism and how to succeed a long NBA career, how to earn respect, NOT the immature/cocky kind

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's 20 mil for him to start, and it's already sht bc he is not worth that much especially after that playoff performance vs Ole man lebron.

U then have to realize that one of our youngster will outplay him bc like I said brook isn't worth 20 mil. Now we have paid 20 mil for a bench player, disgusting.

I hear people bring up his playstyle/presence like pat bev. No way in hell would I ever pay pat bev 20 mil.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

If he just knew his role in the offense (corner three and cut to the basket)
    The % is the matchup's shooting

Denovo, invocux and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  11. OkayAyeReloaded

Interesting point, I did some research, and here are the salaries of other 2022 Second Team All-Defensive members. I didn't include Bam or Draymond as they're contracts are higher for obvious reasons.

In this light, a second-team all-defensive player 20 million with the new higher salary cap is about average. You could say they are better offensive players and it's a bit of an overpay but being a losing team rebuilding may have contributed to that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2023.html#all_leaders

[​IMG]

OG Anunoby:

Team 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
    Toronto Raptors $17,357,143 $18,642,857 $19,928,571
    • Signed 4-yr/$72M extension Monday, December 21, 2020.
    Derrick White:

Team 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25
    Boston Celtics $16,892,857 $18,107,143 $19,321,429
    • Traded from SAS to BOS Thursday, February 10, 2022.
    • Signed 4-yr/$70M extension Monday, December 21, 2020.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I understand. I watched 3 games of last season with Brooks playing with Memphis. The whole team was just throwing shots up…Dillion shot a off balance 3 pointer and the coach did not even say anything…3 games and the coach never told him anything. Honestly, I think the coach knew he could not control him anymore. I really do not think he will do that to Ime….trust me. Jeff Green and FVV is there as well. Brooks needs to know that he is there for defense, we have KPJ for shooting

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

/thread.

I don't think anyone actually dislikes Dillon Brooks, the basketball player. Everyone is just up in arms about Dillon Brooks' contract.

Jags and jerryclark like this.
  14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I like dillon brooks. At least he will make another awful season somewhat entertaining

That is a horrendous contract though considering what other players got

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, Dillon Brooks, the basketball player is the reason why his contract is so bad.

He's basically a 6'6 version of Tate with a bigger ego and we're stuck with him for 4 years. If he was a good player, then the contract wouldn't matter.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think Ryan Anderson got the exact same deal back in the day. 4/80. That was seen as an albatross but since the rise of the cap you could argue Brooks is on a friendlier deal. Is Brooks better than Anderson? I’d also say yes. If his shot wasn’t falling (which was pretty often), Anderson was useless.

so if it’s any consolation, I’d say this deal is at least better than the one for RA lol

kjayp and jcmoon like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson is considerably better than Brooks....even now probably.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have an open mind. Let's see.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I typically agree with your edgy takes but this is a yikes. Anderson was f’n garbage

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I agree, Anderson was garbage....but at least he was okay with a bench role mitigating the damage he could do to the team. Brooks is considerably more detrimental to the team AND he'll demand a major role on offense.

I mean, it's a toss up really. Current Ryan Anderson and current Dillon Brooks. Both are trash no one wants on the team.

Drift Monkey likes this.