1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one excited about this squad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 1, 2023.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Here is why I am excited: we still have a very young team and the success of the team is still dependent on the young players stepping up.
    What we have done is trim the fat a bit and taken steps towards building a locker room that is more conducive to growth and development.
    If you saw that video with green and JC, it's evident those guys were not going to matur together. Then on top of that you had so many young players that no veteran was going to have much influence bc they would never get to play.
    It totally sucks that we had 3 first round picks that were bust for our team (they may all go on to still succeed) but it's ok bc we have had hits too. Senguin and Eason are the biggest hit based on expectations at the position they were drafted. Maybe whitmore will join that group. Hopefully green and Bari will prove to be worthy of their pick and then we have something.

Rustyrig, Y2JT and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

the odds of drafting quality players after the lottery is so low. Realistically we’d be lucky to find one or two NBA starters with our drafting

3. jb86

jb86 Member

This is a well balanced squad that can possibly make the playoffs.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

They’re only missing one thing…shooting. I think that might be important but IDK call me crazy.

BaselineFade and harold bingo like this.
  5. Coach E

Coach E Member

brooks career 34% from 3
    FVV worse year was 34% from 3

I would say we added shooting while also adding attitude and experience.

REEKO_HTOWN and Hemingway like this.
  6. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

FVV and Brooks can shoot. FVV has had to take a lot of difficult shots on a team that didn't have enough offensive firepower, and Brooks gives himself too much of a green light. Either way, their percentages don't reflect their ability 100%.

I also expect Green's shooting splits to improve in a more structured, coherent offense. Jabari will have a better year too.

Really the only guy that can't shoot is Amen, Alpi and Jock aren't great but they can hit it once in a while.

We could use more shooting but this roster isn't completely lacking for shooters

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL a 49% TS guy "can shoot"

Crazy kids.

Htown Stros likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I am excited with this team but I agree with Bobby, Rockets needed shooting specifically from either C (Lopez) or SF position. When Lopez resigned with Bucks the priority should be to look for 3nDs in the market for example Cam Johnson, Taurean Prince and Yuta Watanabe. Assuming Rox spent 8M on Jock Landale then thats 18M to spend on 3,nDs without need for a red wedding. Instead Rox gutted the team for a broke shot defender in DB, that's just dumb imo.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, definitely excited. Hopefully there's a cherry on top move coming, I think the only one that bugged me was dumping Garuba for what seems like nothing? Washington and Christopher kinda sucked, they weren't much better than Nix. KJ Martin somehow got shielded from criticism but he kinda sucked too, it just came with some highlight dunks. Maybe Garuba's shooting was a fluke but I was interested to see him with a real role, his defense was absolutely legit and he looked like he was really putting in offseason work.

Adding Ime was a masterstroke. FVV to lead offense and Brooks to lead defense. Cutting the fatted calves wasn't going to please everyone but it does seem like a necessary move to improve. They have to stop playing like individuals and teenagers and start playing like a team of adults. They've done all of this in the span of like 2 months. Even if this is it, they've improved significantly. This team is going to make a run at the play-ins at least.

Tentatively...

FVV - Green - Brooks - Smith - Sengun
    Amen - Porter - Tate - Eason - Landale
    ??? - ??? - Whitmore - ??? - UncleJeff

Hard to pinpoint UncleJeff's spot but he and Landale probably a platoon situation backing up Sengun unless Lopez is that cherry on top. Would imagine he's also a trade deadline deal to a contender for an asset. I believe the Brooks signing definitely indicates Whitmore spends the year in the GL. Trying to be rational... he's 18, needs to learn the game and teamplay, has no clear spot at rotation minutes. Him playing anything other than garbage time minutes this year would be a shock to me, not that I would argue if he developed THAT quickly I just don't think it's realistic. I think one of the bench guard spots goes to Augustin, surround Amen's physical ability with as many smart, veteran PGs as possible. Maybe you fill the other with a 2 way. Seems like there will be at least one more signing/move.

Green, Smith, Sengun all have the table set for them...particularly the two going into their 3rd seasons. Green/Sengun have to show us a new wrinkle this year. Show us there is upward potential yet to reach and start reaching some of it. Smith being SO young, maybe not quite the same boat yet however that won't excuse another clangfest. I'm a fanboi at this point but I think the guy has too much talent to fall short.

I think Porter at 6th man is right, his ideal role. Truly, if Green blows it having Porter step in as the starting 2 is just fine as well but that's an insurance plan.

If anything I think this team lacks a sniper. Maybe Smith does it but proven sniper he is not.

TL/DR: I shoulda just said YEAH

MultipleSauces and Y2JT like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I think it's a step in the right direction, albeit with some missteps. We didn't really give up any assets, and cleared the roster of rookies we weren't going to pay or give minutes to and a ball handler in a crowded roster of ball handlers. FVV with the team option is a contract palpable given the circumstances, but the guaranteed years on Brooks is a hard pill to swallow right now.

Might be another move so I'm still waiting to get excited or disappointed, but I am feeling more of the former than the latter. We have a defensive minded coach who worked with the FO to select players that fit his vision, but are still more there to supplement and provide floor for the team while we see what we have in our young guys.

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Other than Brooks our team looks really solid. With solid coaching it should be a decent squad. Not playoffs or anything but real improvement. Just pull Brooks once he starts dribbling and we'll be ok.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am more of a realist, I think we are still a ways away from complete, we need a shot blocking big.

Also if it is a competition what is going to happen when some of these new OLDER guys get beaten out by older ones? And if they don't get the start, watch for fireworks, in the clubhouse.

Ime has a lot to prove.

DD

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Ime Udoka keeps saying the biggest growth will be internal. Meaning from the new way we play and how our players strengths blossom more in that philosophy of playing. The veterans and the young ones but that will be overlooked and slept on until the members on clutchfans actually see it for themselves.

Rustyrig and Zen Tabak like this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I am excited about FVV but don't care for the other additions. Minimum I think this team will win 29-31 games. Hopefully more if we get some growth out of our young players.

Downgrading to Brooks from KJM was brutal though.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

KJM to Brooks is not a downgrade. To even think that is wild!

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I went over his shooting stats the other day and made this post

The guy can actually shoot but is still one of the least efficient scorers of his generation because he's basically a jackass on offense. He has the ability but doesn't execute, pray 2 god Ime breaks his foot off in his ass and reshapes his shot selection.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You're of course right, there's a way he can be used properly and not be such a detriment to his team on offense....at least in theory, but he REALLY doesn't want to accept that kind of role.

I see it kind of like Dwight Howard, there was a way he could have played that would have made him great in Houston, but he just didn't want to be that kind of player, he wanted a bigger, more prestigious role and that's why he's in China now.

18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

In what world is 34% adding shooting?! That’s not even average LOL

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

In what world is 34% adding shooting?! That’s not even average LOL
    And apparently 34% from deep is a guy that “can shoot”…

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

it is offensively.

DD