1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trent already established but yeah younger than I thought.......

3. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Did you watch Toronto this year?

topfive and daywalker02 like this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Precious and Koloko are about to show the world they are on Usman Garuba and KMJ’s level.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m one of the few people here that actually think kpj was our second best player last year and not a bad player in general, just playing the wrong role. But to call him better, or anywhere close to as good as fvv is an affront to the basketball gods and should be stricken down by fire and brimstone.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

When did FVV become some elite leader? Why has the Raptors team treaded mediocrity once the Claw left?

Rocket River, topfive and clos4life like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Man this whole "culture setter" narrative reminds me of how Tim McMahon and Thunder friendly writers would talk about how Russ ran the okc locker room with military precision unlike slovenly Harden who then proceeded to kick Russ ass in the playoffs and the regular season on the way to being a better team.

That stuff is just too rashomon for me.

@Rashmon

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm honestly shocked - without even exagerating - that after the past three years we just went through, and seeing how toxic, bad, downright disgusting this team was on and off the court.

There's still people on Clutchfans who don't understand the culture reset with this move.

AroundTheWorld and ramotadab like this.
  9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Whether you’re a peashooter or a .38 special… a gun is a gun. Right?

10. astros123

astros123 Member

Hes clowning on us. 42 million

ramotadab likes this.
  11. Asian Sensation

Harden fanbois can

[​IMG]

ramotadab likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A gross overpay, but the Rockets were not gonna get anybody to come here until we start playing real competitive basketball.

I wouldn't have minded Harden, but he would have wanted a team tailored to him and at his age that wouldn't have been smart. FVV allows us to build a team (hopefully) the correct way.

Cap space very, very rarely turns into an actual franchise changer. Almost all big moves happen after a team has already gotten good and they trade for guys. We could have kicked the cap space down the road a year, but unless we take a massive leap in performance we would have had the same issues.

Boki4MvP, cbass, ramotadab and 2 others like this.
  13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Hope Harden gets traded to them somehow. Now that “Showtime” I’ll pay to watch.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course you change the culture from being bad to the Culture of being overpaid rather easily.

Now all the youngins are pestering the org for more money.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

How does the cap work in terms of his salary? Is it averaged or is the cap hit only 40.4 or whatever his pay is the first year, and then whatever it is in subsequent years (42 and 46 I think I saw?) .

to rephrase, is the cap hit 43 every year or does it change based on his actual salary?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he could be a good player but his body language and his nonchalant behavior on Defense was outright bad.

He has got more potential because he is 6'5 and could look over the Defense to make plays.

topfive likes this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Is this English? Does Lebron deliberately try to sound stupid?

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Been pushing for him but that 3rd year makes this a much bigger risk than I was anticipating.

It’s not just another year, it can throw a wrench in a lot of things. He’s never had a healthy season I believe. We should be careful and not play him 37 minutes. Closer to 32 minutes would be nice.

On the bright side we have ourselves a hell of a championship caliber two way PG with amazing assist to turnover ratio. He needs to take 1-2 fewer shots than he did last season.

This means we have FVV, 3rd year Sengun and Amen primarily running the offense. That’s a giant improvement in playmaking. KPJ and Tyty could still surprise us too.

I also think he’s a great pairing with Udoka. This is going to be amazing for us.

CKent, ramotadab and 13BeardsIN1 like this.
  19. astros123

astros123 Member

Hes laughing at us lol

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on now he led the team to a stellar 41-41 record.

And I hate how a guy that rode Lowry and Kawhi's coattails is suddenly a championship PG....

DD

Rocket River, ksny15 and topfive like this.