1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Concerts have you attended this year?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by white lightning, Jun 1, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I missed it by a couple of days but a friend of mine saw the Pixies at the Sydney Opera House in December.

VooDooPope likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We went to see Asleep at the Wheel at Gruene Hall on Friday night, May 26th. Danced from the first number until they quit for the night. My legs and feet suffered for it the next day, but I didn't care. Ray is amazing and the band is great. Hard to believe Ray Benson is 72. Oh, he looks it, but he doesn't act, play, or sing like it at all on stage. One of the great things about living in Austin, as changed as it may be, is that you can still take a little drive and enjoy an amazing band at an ancient dance hall. Far out, and not too far away.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Double post

Xerobull likes this.
  4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Damn triple post and I’m barely high. That must the the problem.

Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw The Outlaw Music Festival kickoff show at Somerset, Wi and it was AWESOME!
    Kicked off with Micah Nelson (Willie’s son) doing a solo set as the Particle Kid. Different stuffZ it was just him with an acoustic guitar and a lot of effects.

Next was Molly Tuttle who was great. Really good bluegrass / Country band backing her.

Duluth alt country band Trampled by Turtles put in a very up tempo and tight set. I got stuck in the food line during their set so couldn’t see them
    But could still see them.

Next came Allison Krause and Robert Plant and I was expecting a good show from them but it was much much better than expected. They actually played a lot of Zeppelin and sounded amazing. Plant can’t scream anymore but his voice is richer with more depth. I knew they Allison Krause was a good singer but she’s also an outstanding violin player and brought a lot to the Zeppelin songs.

Finally was Willie to close it out. He played a lot of his hits and at 90 can still deliver. He’s lost some on his voice and on several songs he was talk singing. He also brought out Micah Nelson to sing and lead on a few songs but Willie can still play guitar as good as ever and command the stage.

gifford1967, VooDooPope and Xerobull like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Grabbed tickets to the Tenacious D show coming up on September. Hoping to see 'Peaches' live.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Has anyone been to the "Germania Insurance Amphitheater" in Austin? It's apparently out by Circuit of the Americas.

I'm seeing Tenacious D there in September

8. Buck Turgidson

****...jinx...you owe me a coke

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Xerobull

[​IMG]

10. Buck Turgidson

No, but you do have good taste

11. Xerobull

Always a buddy, never a bro.

12. Buck Turgidson

WAAAAIIIIT...just a minute

I'm not expecting Dave Grohl at the concert, but it would be cool

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Yeah, so cool.

Dave played drums and guitar on their first studio album:

“While Tenacious D usually appears as a duo, the album was backed by a full band, consisting of Dave Grohl on drums and guitar, keyboardist Page McConnell of Phish, guitarist Warren Fitzgerald of The Vandals, and bassist Steven Shane McDonald of Redd Kross.”

14. Buck Turgidson

Xerobull likes this.
  15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Ray Benson is the greatest Texan ever that was born and raised in Philadelphia.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then you have the late, great Texan, Jerry Jeff Walker, born in Oneonta, New York, passing away here in Austin in October of 2020. I first saw Jerry Jeff at the Sand Mountain Coffee Shop on Richmond, Houston's folk music mecca, sometime in 1968. Jerry Jeff liked to intersperse his songs with stories about them, which he did with Mr. Bojangles, then going right into the song. This, to the best of my knowledge, was before he recorded it.

At the time, I wouldn't have guessed that Jerry Jeff would end up being one of the great "progressive country music" singer-song writers of Texas. As far as I could tell, he was a folk singer, a really good one. Later, I found out that he had been part of the psychedelic group Circus Maximus, who had an underground FM hit with Wind that the DJ's of KFMK loved to play. Jerry Jeff is wearing the shades in the image below of the band.

After they broke up in mid-1968, he played at folk venues in Greenwich Village, like the Bitter End. Apparently, he made his way to New Orleans, where he managed to get drunk and tossed in jail, and then to Houston. I heard a story that he wrote Mr. Bojangles while staying upstairs at Sand Mountain, who would put musicians up from time to time. I don't know if that's true, but it's a good story.

[​IMG]

Jerry Jeff well over a year later.

Much later in 1991, with Gary P. Nunn doing Nunn's London Homesick Blues.

DFWRocket likes this.
  17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

God I hate the White Oak lawn especially for $100 tickets but Tenacious D might be worth it...

I was sad that Dethklok sold out so fast.

I saw the GREATEST SHOW OF MY LIFE the evening of the solstice last week. Flew into L.A. Tuesday night, saw King Gizzard's *3 hour* marathon set at the Hollywood Bowl on Wednesday (highlights = Crumbling Castle and Magma), bought a bunch of weed and then left Thursday morning. Was still feeling the mushrooms on the plane ride home. Listened to like 14 of their 24 albums. Best band in the ****ing world.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Xerobull

What was the 'stache to hipster ratio?

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Lol tbh less staches than you’d think. More than a few men in dresses. The aussie psych rock crowd is an eclectic bunch

20. Xerobull

Just grabbed 4-day tickets which include camping (we upgraded to car camping) to go to the Texas Eclipse Festival in Burnet, TX April 5-9, 2024. Music lineup hasn't really solidified but we figure it will be like a miniature Burning Man and hopefully the weather will be nice. Hit me up if you're going!

https://seetexaseclipse.com/