1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Rockets front office have a problem with Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 27, 2023.

1. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with your post. Sengun is the furthest guy along the path to being one of the 2-3 best players on a championship contender. Everyone else comps worse or has an incomplete. On the Alperen Sengun is the Rocket's Franchise Player thread, I posted...

"I am going to wade into this one... a little late, but better late than never. Two main points...
    • I doubt Alpi ever reaches the heights where everyone goes... "You know what, he is our franchise player." I think he will fall just below the threshold of the All-NBA players who can will their teams to championships. In my opinion (this is the internet after all), the franchise player should be the #1 option on a championship contender. I think Alpi's upside is as a strong #2 or #3 on a championship team - not as a Jokic level franchise player.
      • To really elevate his game to Jokic level, he has to be able to hit 3's and play all-nba defense. Jokic, because he can hit 3's in volume just has so much gravity on the court and by being a 3-point threat that gravity pulls the opposing defense apart to create the spacing that Jokic exploits with his all time great passing by a big man. Alpi might develop the 3-ball, but Jokic had the 3 ball in his bag right out of the gate. Sengun will fall short of being the Franchise unless he develops a high volume 3-ball game.
      • On defense, Jokic's BPM for defense has been great his whole career and the highest in the league the past 2 seasons. Alpi probably never gets to that level of defense - although the advanced metrics are kinder to Sengun than the fans on this board.
    • I think Alpi is likely to make multiple all-star games and be a great complementary star who supports the effort to win championships. Alperen is tracking ahead of bigs like Domantas Sabonis who rebound well, play decent defense, and can play make on low usage. Domantas has been popping out 3-5 VORP seasons since his 4th year in the league. I think we should extend Sengun next summer and keep him in Houston for the long term run at championships"
    I don't understand the SOF or the SOH. I like Sengun, but he still has growing to do. I am excited to see his further develop under Ime's system.

ilias and CXbby like this.
  2. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

3. mightybosstone

Sorry, I should have said the name in my original post, but I was talking about Tari, not Sengun. I wouldn't compare Sengun to Draymond or Rodman, and I think he's got a greater potential than just a 15/10 guy. To your point, he's basically that already. I think his potential is somewhere between Jokic and Sabonis; definitely All-Star level and possible All-NBA level. Still lot a lot of work to do to get there, but his ceiling is crazy high.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Uncanny!

Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. JonesDaddy

JonesDaddy Contributing Member

This whole thing seems overblown.

Sengun has been a polarizing player going all the way back to the draft where Hollinger had him in his top 3.
    On one hand, there are things he does on the offensive end that are obviously special.
    However, given his position as a center, there are roles that a center normally fills (rim protection, defensive anchor) that coincide with his weaknesses.

It all becomes an exercise in how do you build a team around that?
    I think there are similar discussions around KAT.

Sabonis is often comparison for Sengun and both the Pacers and Kings have struggled to find the right front court partner for him.
    Turner looks like the perfect fit on paper, but that really didn't work.

So I don't think the lack of faith in Sengun is a personal attack.
    I think it represents the difficulty in covering for his weaknesses at his position (from a team/roster construction angle).

To me, that's why the front office wants Lopez.

He was the back to basket big that was too lumbering and slow to be a good defender.
    Now he's a stretch 5 that gets DPOY conversation (though that's really a side effect of the teammates Jrue Giannis)

I think they want Lopez to mentor Sengun.

kubli9 likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Re-quoting this as I believe it explains the context of Clutch's comments that many are missing in their Sengunicity frenzy.

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Again, not the point.

Vuc is better right now at this point of his career with a Sengen that may or may not have already hit his ceiling. Rockets are adding vets for a reason.

It's just facts and if you don't like it protest Fertits at the Tundra Center

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

A 20 year old did not reach his ceiling.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. cml750

cml750 Member

I am not Turkish so I have no idea. I have been a Rockets fan since Moses Malone patrolled the middle. Sengun is my current favorite player but I am a Rockets fan first.

#269 cml750, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

But he has inserted himself in it by pushing his own personal bias as the teams in interviews.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That’s quite the bold claim. Where is your evidence of this?

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dave has earned his reputation as an impartial observer. He has no reason to manipulate a message, as it does nothing but call into question his credibility. To make that assertion, is more of the cult like behavior that the fanatics invent, which is deranged.

(Allegedly) They think he has a potential issue on defense, and they want him to work on it, and he has shown a work ethic issue. As you would do in any fair system, that guy would not be rewarded if he is not doing what they are asking. This is exactly what everyone is claiming they want, no special treatment.

Invisible Fan and xaos like this.
  13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Vooch, Kuzma, and Brooks getting long term contracts is the dark timeline.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

The interview that led to this thread is the first bit of evidence. The second one is he left the article explaining why Bruno F. should start over Sengun that he wrote before the beginning of last season as the main article on the Clutchfans main page the ENTIRE season. It was there even after Fernando was traded. He did not leave it there by accident. TBH, I do not care if he does not like Sengun I just do not like him pushing his bias as the teams in interviews like this.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

So you have no actual evidence just personal suspicions then?

16. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

This thread should tell you that “LOF” syndrome isn’t unique to Lin

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

To further illustrate how silly I find your accusation is here, Clutch started this community in 1999. This community is probably the biggest online Rockets fan community. We have seen Clutch at countless Rockets media events and he has no doubt established long relationships and even friendships with some in the franchise. Why would he jeopardize that by pretending to speak on behalf of said franchise? Even more hilarious, why would he do so for someone like Sengun who in the current grand scheme of things is a no one? Now, that's not to say that Clutch doesn't have the most hopeful opinions of Sengun as quite a lot of people do. He's by far my favorite player on the team and I would still offer to pack his bags and send him off to the airport if say Doncic said he wanted to play for the Rockets. However, what is more believable; that Clutch is pretending to speak on behalf of the franchise or that the relationships he built within the franchise possibly shared how some important voices in the franchise feel about Sengun which may or may not have also aligned with his?

18. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

those illnesses are; getting late for practice, get a mouth fight with coaches about playing time or just he was mentally down( earthquake, subbed 4th q back to back and tweeted after game,his father liked tweets that critisize silas first year) all illneses happened after one of these situations . This is actual reason that i don't trust rockets' player development .

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I personally don't actually think Jokic would be the superstar Sengun most closely resembles if he breaks out into stardom. I have a feeling it will be more similar to a better passing Pau Gasol if he learns how to shoot like Pau did after joining the Lakers.

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

You always need a Big Man on your team who is either your #1 or #2 player on your Championship Team. Sengun plays great against most Centers in the league, and most of the times team double team him or they have a game plan for him. He is a special player but he does not against talented shot blockers. He played bad against the Bucks, Cavaliers and Lakers when going against Anthony Davis. In the playoffs, you play against the best of the best Centers, so he must develop a outside shot or it can be a problem for him in the future.