1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KMJ Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 23, 2023.

1. HealthyHamstring

Simple, post your best hypothetical KMJ trades here.

Due to the incredible draft luck last night, it is clear now that KMJ is more than likely squeezed out of the Rockets future due to positional and experience forced working against him. I really do like KMJ and believe he would have incredible value to a contender/playoff team trying to make a run. Because of this, I think he has the most value of all the “expendables” and think he should garner a 1RP.

My Trade Proposal:

KMJ to Boston for their 2026 1st Round Pick (Top 18 protected)

Rockets gain a 1RP in a year where we owe ours to OKC. KMJ slides into their desperately needed backup wing spot while Boston doesn’t need to give up any salary to attain him due to his low salary number. He joins the bench unit of Pritchard/Brogdon/Horford, giving Boston a very nice 9-man rotation come playoff time. Boston would feel little risk sending this pick as due to the protections and time that this pick would convey

Curious to see what everyone else comes up with. Feel free to post a trade with KMJ with other consolidated pieces as well if you think that is our best path!

Y2JT and BallaDoc like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

KJ is either a RFA or an expiring rendering him near worthless, a couple of 2nds at best

BallaDoc likes this.
  3. HealthyHamstring

Team control as a RFA probably drives up his value imo

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Drives up his value… to like a 2nd or two?

We can re-sign KJ, and if he significantly outplays his new contract, then we can talk about what value he can pull in at next seasons deadline, outside of that scenario KJ alone isn’t bringing us back a first IMO

5. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

KJ has 1 year left, then is UFA. We’d be able to get a different positioned player of a similar production-level, at best.

6. a time to chill

This a cold fanbase. This is the second offseason in a row y'all trying to trade KJ when he's one of the better players on the team.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why would we trade a young player for a draft pick? Like... are we short on young prospects or something?

8. HealthyHamstring

Becomes a trade piece down the line, saves our FA money

Sean Dr34ms and fattz like this.
  9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think before trading him, I would go head and let him go to RFA this summer. I think he would get something like 4 years 48 million. Match, let him play part of the season then deal him if you want.

10. ilias

ilias Member

With Cam coming in, it’s time to let KMJ and Tate go. I’d use KMJ to trade for bad expiring contracts that are costing their teams millions in luxury payments, like Marcus Morris or Evan Fournier, in exchange for draft assets. Eg KMJ for Fournier and the protected 2025 Bucks FRP held by the Knicks.

MultipleSauces and CHAMPBOY like this.
  11. HealthyHamstring

I would do this if we explore the trade market and find there’s not a 1RP available for him. I also think it’s why we need to prioritize finding a wing behind a PG (FVV) and Backup C (Lopez)

12. HealthyHamstring

I would only do this AFTER we make our priority FA signings

13. VoR

VoR Member

KMJ and TyTy for anything decent. KMJ for Terance Mann.

14. VoR

VoR Member

KMJ and TyTy for anything decent. KMJ for Terance Mann.
    Draft tricks are tradable for veterans.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

One of the better players on a team that can win 22 games?
    Yeah.. kind of time to move on before paying?

His bargain basement salary makes him a nice throw in with another piece as a sweetener (imo). I feel like we need to add 3 vets, possibly all starters, at the 1 3 and 5. If KJ can be packaged with KPjr and Tate to bring back a starter at one of those spots, that is probably a win? Then split the 60M between the other 2 spots and see how we go

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Cam should be in the Valley this year, so KMJ might be starting at the 3. The kids have to earn their spot.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. AggieRocketFan96

I hope we keep him, I like his game. he’s been a solid contributor, has improved each year. Get rid of Tate, KPJ, and Nix before KMJ. I hope the new coaching staff gets a chance to develop him and fit him into the system going forward.

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Martin is a nice guy but we do not want to pay him 15 million, he is not a 3 point shooter, average defender and no handles to be a playmaker. Cam needs his minutes and could start for us….Cam is a much better player…better shooter, elite 1st step, big and strong.

#18 CHAMPBOY, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Martin needs to go

#19 CHAMPBOY, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    maj21 likes this.
  20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Nobody paying him 15 million for dunks

#20 CHAMPBOY, Jun 23, 2023