1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-4] Amen Thompson, G, Overtime Elite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of Amen Thompson?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2023.
  1. YES

81.9%
  2. NO

18.1%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to trade Martin, Tate, TyTy and maybe KPJ? In free agency we need a starting veteran PG, starting SF and a backup center. He have 63 million, if we cut Tate we have 70 million, if we cut Tate and KPJ we have 85 million

30 million to FVV
    20 million to Brook Lopez
    30 million to Cameron Johnson

MLE: Seth Curry

kspires999 likes this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to trade Martin, Tate, TyTy and maybe KPJ? In free agency we need a starting veteran PG, starting SF and a backup center. He have 63 million, if we cut Tate we have 70 million, if we cut Tate and KPJ we have 85 million

30 million to FVV
    20 million to Brook Lopez
    30 million to Cameron Johnson

MLE: Seth Curry

Boii likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We still need help at 1 and 5. We’ve got 60+ million but without crazy overpaying I don’t see much. I mean FVV and Lopez but I don’t know if they’d be interested unless it’s can’t walk away from that contract money- which would be foolish long term.

There has to be someone but probably not going to be starter material. Who’s left from Washington’s fire sale?

Ancient Moabite, maj21 and Rokman like this.
  6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lol, you should lay off the internet for awhile, I think.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Brother, before that Whitmore pick I was coming unglued and you're right, I needed to step away. I'm all good now.

raining threes likes this.
  8. raining threes

Trade for Caruso or if you think Lavine can be a combo guard go get him. Sign Lopez in FA. Shooters.

9. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Glad to see your confidence. I have no doubt in my mind that you felt this way when we were picking Capela while Jokic was on the board. Or do you have a post from that time that questioned that pick?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OTE also a big winner.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

The Thompson twins have to be good to legitimatize that league, and not just be the second coming of the JBA.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4634320/2023/06/23/cam-whitmore-amen-thompson-rockets-nba/

Amen, you visited and worked out with the Rockets last week. What about that meeting stuck with you personally?

Just that they were looking for a change. They were looking to turn the franchise around and get some wins. I wanted to be a part of that.

What sort of conversations did you have with the front office and John Lucas during the workout?

We were just trying to get to know each other. John Lucas is very exciting. I would love to get to train with him, he brings out the best in you. But just trying to get to know each other and see if I’m a good fit.

On paper, you fit quite well with Jalen Green. Looking at other guys on the roster — Jabari Smith Jr., Tari Eason — how do you pair with players like that?

I think I pair really well with all of those guys. I think we’re a big lineup that can lock up on defense. I think getting Jabari and Jalen easier, wide-open looks, their 3-point percentage is going to go up. They’re going to be utilized in a better way. I think that’s just what we need, and I need them too.

You’ve mentioned the need to create more efficient looks for others on numerous occasions. Why does that resonate so much with you?

When you have so many talented players in Houston, I might not always be the best option — we have so many options. Jalen, KPJ, Jabari, Alperen Şengün. Being able to get my guys looks and making them happy, I just feel like that’s what’s best.

A lot has been said about your jump shot. What can you say about it right now, and how can you improve it?

Improving everyday, I’m just trying to get better. Become a better shooter. It’s going to take time. But I put in work, so I’m not worried about that. I know I’m going to be a great shooter. Just going to get to my strengths until then.

(Looking) at the film from OTE, seeing you attack in transition and get downhill is clearly a strength of yours. But where do you think you excel the most?

I think I excel the most in transition. And just turning defense into offense. On the fast break, I feel like nobody can really stop me.

Any conversations with new head coach Ime Udoka? I know there’s a certain style he likes to run and the sort of culture he wants to establish, also going with the intangibles you bring to the table.

I’m looking forward to having more conversations with him. I’m going to try to get his number right now. We haven’t really talked about that, but I know he’s a winner. I’m a winner. And I want to be a part of a winning franchise.

What about the whole pre-draft process stood out to you the most? Just getting to Houston, seeing the facilities, speaking with all the individuals and envisioning what it could be down the line?

I love the city. I love the culture around the city. I don’t know, for some reason, I’ve been envisioning myself as a Rocket for a minute now. And I’m not even just saying that ’cause I went to the Rockets. But I don’t know, I feel like it’s meant to be. It’s destiny.

How do you see yourself playing off a center like Şengün? How can the two of you amplify each other’s skillsets?

He’s a great playmaker. I feel like the easiest way to make plays is out of the high post. A lot of backdoor cuts, and we have the athletic guys to throw lobs, run and having as many playmakers on the court as possible. We probably got like four or five now. That’s how the new game’s gone.

You take defending very seriously. In a day and age where that doesn’t make a highlight reel or Instagram clip, why is that side of the ball so important to you?

I think defense wins games. That’s all I was taught when I was younger, just play defense. So that’s what I’m looking forward to bringing at a high level.

15. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

He looks like a nice and smart guy who loves the game

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really love this guys attitude so of course I hope it works out.

The big about having an iphone 5 sticks out to me, shows he's someone about that business, that he treats this basketball thing as a job. I like that. Sounds like if he doesn't learn how to improve his shot it won't be from lack of trying so hopefully that clicks for him, if it does and he can become even a below average shooter we could really have something.

Looking forward to Summerleague.

Drift Monkey, xaos, Shark44 and 2 others like this.
  17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Love the hate on here. Kid has not even played but some people already calling him a bust. My recommendation if you have already made up your mind then don't tune in.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No.
    If you cut those 2 guys you still have their salary counting against the cap.

You can trade them as part of a deal for a PG/ C or SF. But cannot just cut them to free up cap space.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Didn’t bother to do any scouting until now. This kid looks insanely talented

xaos likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Even if the Twins are good they need better talent in the OTE than what they already have.