1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

So in summary,

Less than 3 weeks into the season, the Astros should have given up on Hensley, who had a 1.000+ OPS for them last year and instead played a guy who the Astros and the player said was having mechanical issues (and who had a 0.640 OPS in April) and needed work with the hitting coaches to correct. And they would have been magically way better.

Astros should also have have quickly put their star acquisition into a platoon, despite the fact that he was batting 0.340 a week into the season.

Also, Dusty should have played Chas while he was on the IL in order to find him some of those 150 extra ABs that were "stolen" from him.

And you think these changes would have resulted in 3 more wins. For someone who claims to love analytics, you don't do very well with this WAR stuff.

Of course, they could also have listened to your demands that they spend all their money in the offseason and have gotten a 0.660 OPS Wilson Contreras as their catcher for the next 5 years, have no financial flexibility, have had a pitching staff revolt, and have Diaz in AAA or traded since he's positionally blocked for 5 years. But at least the front office could say they spent money.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You are so obtuse. Will you ever admit the organization doing something stupid? No. Even when the organization shifts track showing they knew they were wrong.
    Awesome you are going to give him credit for Diaz now because he brought him along slow or fast now or whatever the voices in your head say. His 660 OPs was the profit of bullshit small sample size bad luck. Looks at his prospect pedigree and expected stats and this was always the most likely outcome for him.
    I hated and consistently b****ed and moaned incessantly about Brantley and Montero, to the point I had to shut up before I got kicked off the board. They’d have done better listening to me than what they did.
    Yes- it was always stupid to give maldy 80% of the AB’s. Yes- it was incredibly stupid to play Abreu 57 of the first 58 games hitting 4th. Yes, it is stupid every time Chas doesn’t play in favor of a lesser player.
    I’m fully aware Chas missed 2 weeks. That’s 12 games and 50 PA. He’s roughly 150 behind full time from where he should have been.
    his lineup decisions, day in and day out are unjustifiable by the numbers.
    A 250 point difference in OPs over 250 or 300 AB’s probably works out to 20 or 25 runs which probably works out to 3 wins. That’s accepted fact not something I’m pulling out of my ass. his lineups are absurd and have cost us games in the standings, no ifs ands or buts.
    Contreras is currently going poorly and is also on pace for roughly 2 WAR. He makes 16 million? 17? At 10M per War that makes his value absolutely neutral. We could have him and still have Diaz bat in the lineup every day and be a better team for it.

tehG l i d e, Tomstro, IBTL and 5 others like this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

But yeah- we chose not to spend that money at all, so it goes directly to Cranes bottom line while we are busy blowing out revenue marks and earning like a big market team. So glad we did that. Helps my enjoyment as a fan to know Cranes got 25M large in his pocket.

4. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

LOL ... wait... what!?? You can't be giving him the credit for those accolades... c'mon man!!!
    Its almost as if the MLB front office required the org to take Dusty to the promised land (after the trash can shenanigans)-- "Hey Jim & co., this manager deserves to get his... yall gonna carry him until he does" not withstanding we had the best team in baseball for 5+ years.
    Dusty Baker was GIFTED that ring, not "eARnEdhiSToRy"... thats ALL on Lunhow/Click and the career years of just about our entire ball-club peaking at the same time.
    The dude is clearly just a fan of baseball and I highly doubt any of his decisions actually carry any weight these days... I'm afraid/confident the man has early onset Alzheimer's and/or dementia. None of his pressers make a lick of sense. Damn, can you imagine having Baker / Biden at podiums during a debate (***not a political post nor am I endorsing any party/candidate)-- just think its bonkers that people can listen to either one and not scratch their head.

So yeah, winning or not-- fire that motherfvcker.
    That said, I'd still kick back w the dude and talk ****- smoke cigars and throw back some good bourbon... but that about reaches the threshold.
    There's another stigma in baseball-- managers MUST be a minimum age of 50-60 in order to still be in the driver's seat. Yeah, thanks no... your time's come gone.

#1324 InTheGroove, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  5. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

SPOT ON!!!

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Damn, you are dumbass. If you don't think playoff Dusty was a big reason for that success, then there is no point in arguing with you. You are just a dumbass.

IBTL and Astrofan59 like this.
  7. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Are you fckin blind, ignorant or stupid, friend... THAT TREND WAS ALREADY IN PLACE & HAPPENING BEFORE DB could stake claim / get cred for it.
    You're telling me that bc DB was brought it-- we never would've made it to the ALCS and/or WS (W/L) those years without him and that he turned this club around took them to the next level as contenders-- the path they weren't on already...?

8. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Wasting your time bro

rockbox and InTheGroove like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2020. Scandal aftermatch, injuries (No Alvarez, JV), and a bunch of rookie pitchers take the Rays to Game 7 of the ALCS after everyone expected a collapse. 2021: Lost Springer and still no JV, but make to the WS with virtually no starters in the playoffs. 2022: No Correa, but the rise of Pena (Dusty had a part of that) and the team wins 106 games and dominates in the postseason with Dusty making all the right moves. Hate to tell ya, the manager does make a difference.

10. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

2019: they should've been able to win that WS.
    Guess what, your boy DB wasn't the manager of the Nats... he got ran off after the '17 season, after 2 short stints, because #MEDIOCRITY... who was on that roster again...??

2020: cough-cough-covid... fallout... clubhouse, organization (in the eyes of the media/sponsors/corp MLB outside of Houston) and proud owner needed a PR move to save face... i would've said F-you to the rest of the league... oh wait, we know a guy-- he hasn't done **** the past few years, but he REALLLLY needs a ring (because "optics"... yeah, FU too MLB)
    "Welcome, DB, to the club that no matter how much you **** it up, we've checked our thoughts and prayers in the coat-room & no matter what we're on a warpath and can guarantee another WS in the next ___ years-- stay out the way!"
    granted if the guru sensei boss manager was as he was sold/painted, we couldve made the WS that year (4-3 didnt cut it)... a losing season

2021: Springer / JV were not the tandem studs that brought this team to the great heights they've been at (although argument can be made for JV, seeing as the reason he was brought in was to go deep / all-the-way... done. x2. Thank you JV.)
    We've done extremely well without Springer since he's left... so your argument on 2021 is relative to how "bad" (non-competitive) the other teams were in the AL... if DB is the stud you're painting him to be, he definitely should've nutted the f up and won that series, no...??
    Ahh yes, lets not forget DB's comfort zone: 95-67

2022: YES-- WE DIDN'T NEED CORREA...!!! Hello, wtf!? Pena eclipsed all of Correa's post-season performances in ONE (1) POST SEASON (AS A MF ROOKIE!!!) and showed that the move was the right one at the time... and yeah, thank you CC for mentoring this new up-and-coming SS. This was a BUSINESS / CONTRACTUAL move... not a "managerial move"-- how in the hell did DB have anything to do with that substitution...!?
    But you claim DB was the one who masterminded his unprecedented rise?

Johnnie B. Badd-Baker had NOTHING TO DO WITH the WHY'S OR HOW'S OR FOR WHAT'S any of the reasoning of the aforementioned.
    Lost the series that mattered... last year that team knew whatthe**** it was doing & knew how to perform like the rockstars they were.
    Wooow. Feel like I'm arguing with a rock or a tree... gonna keep my brain cells as far away from you as possible. Wow.
    D.Baker is in NO WAY SHAPE, FORM, CONDITION an able-bodied/sound-minded candidate to manage this ball club.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Dusty is the trust fund baby who didn't go broke. He hasn't done anything special in Houston.

There's a chance he goes broke this year though. Outside of injuries and a bad offseason, there's too much Maldonado, too much Abreu, and too little Chas,.

12. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Altuve
    Peña
    Tucker
    Bregman
    Diaz
    McCormick
    Abreu
    Dubon
    Maldonado

That should be the everyday lineup until Yordan gets back. Let Kessinger be the utility player who spells guys.

Peña not batting where he’s historically been awesome is…whatever. But continuing to bat Abreu in the heart of the order like it’s 2019 is just flat out detrimental.

Dana Brown better have something cooking. But I think Dusty is gone either way in 2024.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Just for the record, I still want Dusty fired. Good luck, we're all counting on you Brown.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Chandler Rome reports that "it's no secret inside Houston's clubhouse that Baker is not a fan of McCormick." Thoughts?

raining threes likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dusty Fan:
    Myles Straw
    Robel Garcia
    Niko Goodrum
    Brooks Raley
    Rafael Montero
    Martin Maldonado
    Jose Abreu
    Corey Julks

Dusty Not a fan:
    Yainer Diaz
    Chas McCormick

Feel free to add. ;)

raining threes and tehG l i d e like this.
  16. raining threes

How many games have been lost by batting Abteu in the middle of the order?

17. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

"Don't you DARE criticize st. Dusty"- Houston media.

everyday eddie, rockbox and lnchan like this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yuli is a fan. I'm sure Dubon is a fan also. Ironically, Dubon got more time last season when he sucked than what he is getting currently when he doesn't suck.

Wulaw Horn and Stephen66 like this.
  19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Not all Houston media. Chandler Rome will definitely criticize Dusty. You can either pay to read him (and Iko re Rockets), or you can just wait for JR to plagiarize all their posts here, continue to see all their geolocated revenue dry up, then eventually for them to get fired and us to revert to 100% amateur or lickspittle coverage.

Stephen66 likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Julks or meyers instead of Maldy but yeah, that looks good more or less. Much better than most of what gets posted every day.