1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Porzingis is going to Boston then I bet we can snatch Horford who would be an elite backup C for us. They have Rob Williams too so I doubt they need Horford anymore - could probably get away with a cheap 3rd string C and KJ Martin to backup the PF spot.

Would still rather get Lopez at C, but this wouldn’t be a bad fallback plan.

ArtV likes this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

[/QUOTE]

This needs a few more moving parts

Probably Gallo to Wiz (so Boston can accept the salary back)
    And someone else from Clips to Wiz (so LAX can accept the salary back).
    I guess Bones Hyland or Preston or Boston jr from LAX to Wiz too

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It might be worth checking again.
    Non-G/T 2023/24
    Full guarantee kicks in if he is on the roster 29th June (so about a week left of Nix!!)

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Damn, KP would have been a great get.

Free Agent Class getting worse and worse.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh i think that's where it comes from for this coming season

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that Rockets are planning on taking a bad contract to move up from No. 20 pick (or just in general). Rockets want a future 1st or 2 for when they make a trade for a star.

7. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Not true! What about Kyle Kuzma?

8. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Not true! What about Kyle Kuzma?

hlmbasketball likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - but it pretty much indicates he is gone by then. If trying to free salary, it is as simple as pressing "delete" on him before then. No need to try and find a way to move him.

That's the point!! haha

YOLO likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Here's my best idea so far ....

Clearly teams have been trying to buy in to this draft. Den has made a move or two .

How good is 20 ?

can we cash in for a future asset ?

Just like the pacers , who traded to denver ... OKC has a bunch of future picks.

However , they dont have a bunch this year. Im sure they can be a power player in moving into this draft if they truly wanted.. but i bet theyd rather save their premium assets for later/ other things.

We can give them 20 this year to add a high ceiling player ... like whats the floor in this draft ? I bet okc doesnt mind giving away a mildy protected pick , or a pick from a team that should be good for pick # 20 this year.

We need more future assets. BKN picks not enough ...

then as a "throw in" I want to ask them to lower the protection of our pick next year . And let us keep the pick if its 10 . Not top 10 protected ... if and only if its pick number 10 . Or 9 .. maybe you can say " lets do an 8 ball after this and make it 8" .. but i dont think they'd give that up.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How available does this Porzingis move make Grant Williams?

$182M is the magic number, right? (2nd apron - basically after that you can only sign vet min guys, and trades are very hard to make).

After the Porzingis trade, they would be on $167,357,038 (assuming Gallo is in the trade, and they waive both Muscala and Champagnie).

That makes $15M the number they would find it hard to match for Grant Williams? Would it mean they couldn't use the exceptions?

Pencil him in for $18M per (or something) - I think he would be a wonderful veteran add who would bring some toughness to our roster.

12. TheBeastSystem

these are the type of guys stone and udoka value

black
    coulibaly
    hendricks
    lmiller

small pgs with questionable defense/shooting and rim protecting bigs that cannot switch are not draft targets
    big pgs that are not either great shooters or defenders are not draft targets

guys with quicks and length like boston with great defensive potential that can switch all over and can defend on the perimeter are the focus

a guy like podziemski is a possibility because although he lacks great length he isn't small and he's all around skilled and can handle pass shoot defend both smalls and bigs and rebound

preferred guys
    i fully expect 1 to 3 of these guys to become rockets tomorrow

bmiller has length brains shooting playmaking and defensive switchability although he's not a great defender right now and not likely that we can acquire him without a kings ransom
    black good switchable defender with length can pass and finish and his shooting will improve with spacing
    coulibaly a bundle of athletic length smarts and work ethic with good shot mechanics and already a good defender
    hendricks length athleticism defensive acumen with 3 point shooting
    lmiller length athleticism already a defensive disruptor great finisher ugly shooter that gets it to go in
    ausar has the length and defensive switchability and possibly could become a shooter but the guys above are preferred
    podz has everything in his game but extreme length is a very very good disruptive defender
    sasser also has everything but length and can be had late in the first
    dick fits the profile as a second guy to take
    cason possibly with a lower pick outside the top 10

possibly undervalued guys we would be interested in late
    i could see one of these guys becoming a rocket
    jacquez yes with a lower pick
    shepperd yes with a lower pick
    jackson yes with a lower pick
    norris definite yes with a lower pick
    jarace possibly a target but only with a trade down
    lively same
    rupert possibly later
    hodge in the second
    bufkin is a possibility but he's not valued like the others above

guys that are a no
    cam not a quality defender will get bigger and become a small pf
    we are not interested in jett he doesn't defend and hasn't shown any defensive grit
    sensabaugh is a poor defender
    scoot doesn't fit the profile unless he drops to us we're not going to expend assets trading up for him sasser much better value late in first round
    george no
    smith no
    whitehead no iffy feet injuries possibly with a very late second only
    clowney
    schiff
    sidy

there's one guy i didn't put on any of the lists
    amen is an enigma to me
    i think we should pass and try to get 2 guys on the top list instead
    i do not think he'll ever be a great shooter
    he doesn't have the bend for the shot dip
    even though he could improve that some it won't be natural to his game
    and i don't see the fit working optimally with alp
    and fit is important
    i think amen is another westbrick player hyper athletic with ball skills but will dominate the ball and it will be so so difficult to build a championship team around him just like it has been to build a champion around westbrick

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This needs a few more moving parts

Probably Gallo to Wiz (so Boston can accept the salary back)
    And someone else from Clips to Wiz (so LAX can accept the salary back).
    I guess Bones Hyland or Preston or Boston jr from LAX to Wiz too[/QUOTE]

still waiting for our consolidation trade :(

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't buy that ...It doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense when they are already $62m from the cap FLOOR of $122m with no real good potions to spend that $62m on .... why push yourself to $85m from the FLOOR by moving KPJ & Tate (their only two salaries above $2.6m who aren't Green, Jabari or Sengun).

$85m could go a long way to rebuilding this team .... BUT the FA crop is mediocre who are you spending it on?
    Seems to me if they are spending that much, there has to be a trade for a big contract ..... unless they are overpaying in FA which isn't a good idea.

Little Bit likes this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Just doesn't pass the smell test

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

We’ll find out soon enough but Windhorst has been on a heater as of late. Personally I hope they do shed some of the excessive fat

[​IMG]

clos4life likes this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Stone needs to make a deal! Free agency is SLIM and he cannot just say……we like our guys!
    He needs to trade the 20th pick, Tate and Martin for someone. Harden is not reality, Toronto could resign VanVleet so we can just put our hands in our pocket and wait.
    Stone is always a dollar short and a day late…...at trade deadlines we never do anything…..tanking is over

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

(22:59) Fischer: There will be a lot of teams, like Houston at 20, will be looking to get future draft capital back.

TimDuncanDonaut and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Possible trade taking on dead money (and FA)

jch1911 likes this.