1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think the Cards make moves, but not "selling" type of moves

They will likely try to move an OF for an MLB arm

2. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I want a Zack Greinke reunion. The guy is still going to give you 5IP with 3 ER or less.

As for a bat, I’d ask about Nick Prato as well.

In
    Zack Grienke
    Nick Pratto

Out
    Jaime Melendez
    Jacob Melton

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pratto is under control thru 2029, why would KC trade him? Melton doesn’t project to be even as good as Pratto. This trade is unrealistic. If you want Pratto you’re going to have to trade them Drew Gilbert. Gilbert and Leon for Pratto and Barlow sounds like a fair trade.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

We need to realize 2 things this trade season

1) Drew Gilbert is the Hunter Brown of this year. Dana Brown and the Astros LOVE him and will not trade him. Period.

Dana has no pressure on him this year so won't mortgage the future of Gilbert for a title.

2) Whatever we feel is a "fair deal" in a trade, we need to add another 6-15 rated prospect for the other team to actually agree and make the deal that improves the team.

Jags, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with this and I would be shocked if Houston traded Drew Gilbert. Which means I would be shocked if Houston traded for a non-rental star player. I expect Houston to add an everyday caliber bat, either a rental like Bellinger or a 2nd/3rd tier player like Seth Brown (who I do not like). I also expect them to add a good reliever and possibly a BoR veteran SP. But none of those pieces would cost Gilbert. My guess is this deadline costs Houston 4-5 prospects from the 6-35 range of its prospect list.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

I'm hoping Brown holds onto Gilbert, Arrighetti, Gordon and Clifford.

Guys like Leon, Taylor, Melendez,Perez, Melton and Barber should be enough to add the type of rentals you are talking about. But trust me you know much more about the Stros farm system than I ever will. I just go off of the minor league thread and top 50 lists.

Since the Royals aren't trading Perez, I'm hoping Verdugo is the bat that Brown adds.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would guess we had similar concerns with Verlander in '17 (4+ FIp when we made deal), and he was six years older. It's very possible Bieber's best days are well-behind him (the Ks really are concerning). But, at 28... man, that seems highly suspect. Great pitchers - generally - don't just drop off a cliff in their supposed primes.

And yes, his two atrocious starts were in May. He made the starts and you can't just ignore them - but in his other 12 starts, his numbers look better.

I don't know who else might be available. But if the price is right, I would jump on Bieber.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

One thing I hope the Astros don't do is wait for the deadline. They don't need help in six weeks; they need help now. One of Hunsicker's greatest moves was not just landing Beltran, but landing him weeks before the deadline. When dealing with expiring contracts, etc - it just makes too much sense to squeeze extra starts out of your acquistion.

And, again, this isn't a team gearing up for a postseason run. This is a team that may need to scratch and claw into the postseason. Go get your reinforcements now.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if we could take advantage of the sellers market and trade someone like Meyers, Dubon, or France for a top 100 prospect. It wouldn't kill us if we are able to get healthy.

Wulaw Horn, ROCKSS and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldmt touch Bieber unless he comes really cheap and we understand that we are getting another Jose Urquidy type.
    Same with Greinke.
    If we would have to contemplate whether to start Urquidy or the new guy in a game 4 then I wouldn't want to spend much on the new guy.

We need someone who firmly slots into the playoff rotation.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I actually wouldn't mind checking the market for Pena. There don't appear to be any quality middle infielders available and if a team was willing to pay multi-year star prices for Pena I wouldn't mind rolling with Dubon at SS for the next couple of seasons if it meant getting 3 Drew Gilbert level prospects for Pena.

Astrodome likes this.
  12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Meyers more than Dubon.

Dubon is the ONLY MLB level backup for Altuve, Pena, or Bregman. If 1 of them gets hurt it will be much worse without Mauricio.

I think like Meyers, think he still has a level to get to, and should be the near everyday CF.

I see a huge logjam in the OF coming. Especially if Leon keeps hitting like he has in June and Dirden can adjust to AAA.

Maybe trading Meyers or Chas is a way to get ahead of that, but I think another OF who can play CF like Bellinger needs to be brought in first.

Otherwise, then look to move 1 or both of them in the offseason if the team feels they are not among the top 3 OF on the roster for 2024.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I disagree. Bieber has a TOR history and COULD very well be 1 of the top 3 starters in the playoffs.

He will need a Randy Johnson or Justin Verlander type of step up but has the talent to do that and he is much younger than either of those pitchers were when the Astros got them.

I know Cleveland has a great pitching development organization, but there are sure to he some differences between them and the Astros methods. I think the Astros could likely make some adjustments to him that may help.

If Cleveland asks for 3 prospects in the 6-10 range I say do it.

If they want a guy in 2-5 to headline it along with 2 lower guys, then I still probably do it but think hard.

Gilbert is off the table.

Grienke is JAG at this point, but a very dependable JAG. He would eat innings and help throughout the season but not be a big part of the post season.

I would give a guy like Paredes or Blake Taylor for him maybe 2 AAA depth/lottery ticket types but it would disappoint if it was the biggest pitching move.

14. The Beard

I agree BUT in the AL Oakland and KC are the only two teams not within 5 games of a playoff spot

In the NL Washington, St Louis and Colorado

Out of that group the Cards might sell closer to the deadline, but they certainly ain’t selling assets now

So who on Oakland, KC, Washington or Colorado is gonna make a difference for us now? KC has already said Perez ain’t going anywhere and the Rockies rarely ever sell, and even if they did there are no healthy veterans that would really help us

A trade soon would be awesome but unless we are going to trade mainly from the MLB roster in a rare deal that is proven player for proven player to fill bigger needs, I don’t see it

Hey Now! and Bregatron like this.
  15. The Beard

That’s an idea some on here would like, but it’s just not the direction Crane or Brown would want to go. Contract wise we always try to think long term, but I would be shocked if we moved a contributor for prospects while in the mix for a title. And have no doubt about it, we are in the mix for another ring

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I dont think Bellinger would be able to come here after the comments in 2017.

Yes he would fit but doubt he would be ok in the locker room.
    On another note. There has to be a super versatile guy who bats left out there some where

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Intreasting name to monitor As a SP. Corbin Burnes
    Is sime what falling out with the Brewers. Yes they are playing well but make wierd moves to shed payroll. Could be a buy low guy.

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Whit Merrifield is another who is very very versatile and hits well

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Jeff McNeil is another name to watch very versatile and bats well. And left handed

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Blue Jays are right behind the Astros in the Wild Card standings. They won't be sellers.

McNeil just signed a 4 year 50 million dollar extension in January. He isn't going anywhere.

The Beard likes this.