1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG on how he'd "fix the NBA"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OremLK, Jun 1, 2023.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Shaq would have 5,317 more points.

sirjesse, Yung-T and Joe Rocket like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is just a DUMB idea
    like Not having a kickoff in football

Rocket River

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

How to Fix the NBA.

Stop Rigging Playoff Games for Money and Changing the Rules every year.

Even the All Star Game and Dunk Contest is ruined because Adam Silver Changed it Pickup League and Lebron and Giannis Sitting Out really Shows Lebron and Giannis Don't Care.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

But everyone likes watching the kickoff because it's exciting and there's always a chance of a home run play to get into scoring position or even a touchdown

Free throws are just boring unless the game is on the line

5. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I don't think this idea was intended to shorten game length. I think the idea is that free throws stop the action and flow of the game.

I'd have a different system, though. No free throws, at any time of the game, it's always side out of bounds...unless you go into the penalty, then it's automatic points. Players still foul out at 6 fouls and obviously being in the penalty is bad, so indiscriminate fouling is a really bad idea.

plutoblue11 and OremLK like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

The only minor concern I have is that free throws do give players opportunities to take breathers throughout the game. You could probably add more mandatory timeouts to address that though (and I'm sure the league would love a chance to show more stupid ads...)

Rocket River likes this.
  7. tksense

tksense Member

They can already show ads during free-throws. Just saw them do it in the finals on ABC. i wondered why they seemed to never do it, at least i never noticed it until a few days ago. Ads during free-throws help the viewers kill the boredom just as much imo.

They also adopted the european soccer jersey ads quite late.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How about speeding up the free throw process by starting a shot clock as soon as the whistle is blown. So everybody has to scramble to get into position. No more waiting for the ref to hand you the ball. And no more talking to the ball at the FT line. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Sengun the franchise player.)

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Imagine the scramble at the final 2 seconds of the game to get to the line and throw up a ball to try and make a 5 pt play
    (3 Plus Foul shot and intentional miss and get 2)

Rocket River

Easy likes this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

A little surprised to see so much pushback from y'all on the idea of getting rid of/lowering the amount of free throws in the NBA. I can go to the park next door and watch some dude knock down 8 in 10. Not my idea of entertainment. It's not about making the game shorter, it's about making it faster-paced and more fun to watch.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Speeding up the game has worked really well for MLB pitchers. Why not take those lessons and wreck some NBA careers?

plutoblue11 likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It's a reward for not learning to shoot free throws
    Not calling Fouls or Travels would speed up the game too

Honestly . . . If its automatic points . .. . expect the flopping to SKY ROCKET

Rocket River

Astrodome and Slyonebluejay like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Instead of free throws players get two knives and have to throw it at an apple on a teammates head. If they make it two points.

If they miss and hit teammate 5 points to make up for lost teammate.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It’s kind of a weird rule to have, especially since **this** NBA era is shooting free throws at a very low rate. I mean a historically low percentage for attempts per game, league wide, and year-to-year top ten leaders.

League-wide, most teams typically averaged 25 FTA or more per game. Now, it’s basically only league leading teams that averaged that much. Oddly enough, in both the past and present, the championship teams and some of the better offenses in the league were near the bottom 5-10 in free throws. For example, 1990s Chicago Bulls were often in that range as were the 1980s Boston Celtics and the 80s Lakers. Quite a few Phoenix Suns teams, Golden State Warriors (past and present), and Dallas Mavericks. You also have to consider these aren’t teams you’d necessarily want to foul, given some of their high free throw shooting %.

Changing free throw rules are kinda not solution or a great solution to anything. Right now, there’s no active NBA player who ranks in the top 10 for free throw attempts per game. Harden is the only one that’s even close, he is in 12-15 range. He’ll probably fall lower on the list as he gets older. Giannis is the only other active player on top 20.

The craziest thing about this is people think they shoot way too many free throws, even though there are both better and worse scorers than Harden. Harden even at his most “hard Harden foul hunting” is about the normal range for a high caliber scorer. It’s a tried true method. For Giannis, he simply falls in the “Hack-A-????” category, he’s a poor free throw shooter, so teams are going to exploit that strategy.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I wouldn't go as far as eliminating all free throws until the last four minutes of the game but I would eliminate the second free throw if you missed the first free throw! You don't deserve FREE points if you can't shoot worth a darn!! As far as eliminating halftime, I cant say I disagree!! If you've been watching the game you don't need a frickin recap of what you've already seen!! The only haftimes should be done by the TNT crew, and they shouldn't recap the game either, their only value is from the giggles that Shaq and Charles give us from talking about all the big'ol gorditas from San Antonio...

[​IMG]

Go Rockets!!!

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Random JVG news, ran into him bowling today during my kids’ play date with a friend. Neighboring lane and we were sharing the same ball return. Didn’t realize it was him until I was trying to figure out how to raise the side bumpers for the kids and he mentioned that they set it up at the front desk. I was in the middle of saying thank you, then I stopped mid sentence and said “Jeff van gundy?” He reached his hand out “I’m Jeff”. No other interaction with me but I noticed he and my son said a few things during the game while they crossed paths at the return. As JVG was leaving he gave an unprompted said “good to meet you”. What a good guy

Easy, JumpMan, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You should have asked if Yao Ming was as tall in real life as he looked on TV. Then laugh together a give each other high fives!

DonkeyMagic and Jontro like this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Only get Advice from Jerry West, Not LeBron James Pickup Style All Star Game and In Game Tournament. As a 10th seed making the Playoffs.

19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Adam Silver really made the Game even Worse due to the All Star Game, Dunk Contest.

Stop listening to LeBron James and take real Surveys from Fans and make different changes.

LeBron James and Giannis selecting Nikola Jokic almost Last in the All Star Game. Is the biggest Joke.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do regret not asking if he drove his 1995 Honda civic there