1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are you taking with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 16, 2023.

?

Who are you taking?

1. Amen Thompson

148 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Jarace Walker

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ausar Thompson

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Cam Whitmore

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Trade the pick

101 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Other (Specify)

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This just comes down to if you are okay drafting any of Amen, Miller, or Scoot. My preference is to move up to #2 for Scoot (I think it’s a very low chance he’s there at #4). If that can’t happen then I can live with Amen, Miller or Whitmore. Those would be really good prospects in any draft class. Whitmore and Amen have higher upsides, but Miller has a higher floor. Either way we shouldn’t trade out of this draft. We need another good core player.

2. cdastros

cdastros Member

3. cdastros

cdastros Member

Anthony Black.

kubli9 and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen his name as high as #4 but not a lot of talk about him on here.

I like his game but I think the knock on him is also his shooting. His form looks miles better than Amen.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He looks very slow footed and defense looks bad. He plays defense funneling his man to the lane. That **** is not going to work in the nba

No Worries and pippendagimp like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think I'm off the Anthony Black thing even if we were to trade back or trade up to #10. I'd rather have Cason Wallace in that range. Just something about Black's game that bothers me and I have this suspicion that it's not going to translate like, say, Josh Giddey's did. It's not the shooting, it's that his decisionmaking is just a beat too slow or something. I'd rather a guy make a questionable decision quickly and confidently than make a good one too late to matter.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Spinella is really big on Anthony Black, mostly due to his defense. Think he said he might be the best perimeter defender in the last few drafts.

I'm not quite as high on him as Spinella, though I'll defer to his expertise and say that yeah maybe he'll be a top tier defender. With my eyes, I swear I saw Brandon Miller out-muscle him, and Miller didn't seem to out-muscle many guys from what I understand.

But yeah I'm not *super* high on his offensive game. I think he probably is a good BBIQ/decision maker type, but I'd have to actually watch full games of him to really get a feel for that. And I'm not doing that. His shot is also suspect. Maybe not Amen/Ausar level, but still far from ideal, especially for a guy that doesn't seem to have high-end potential IMO. I'm not sure he's good enough on-ball to be "the guy," and I'm not sure he has the necessary skills to be an elite off-ball player.

But *shrug* he can easily prove me wrong.

jch1911, Mathloom and OremLK like this.
  9. cdastros

cdastros Member

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Spinella didn't have Bilal listed anywhere anywhere in his mock draft. His rating means nothing

11. RC Cola

[​IMG]
    Um...sure?

roslolian likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

His original didn't have it. This is an updated

saleem and RC Cola like this.
  13. RC Cola

Which seems reasonable since I think most experts had him as a late 1st rd pick (at best?) or possibly pulling out of the draft until his recent uptick in play. Even then, I think Spinella is a bit hesitant to go all in on him with some reasonable criticisms.

But yeah...that's just a weird criticism of Spinella IMO. Fair enough if that's your opinion though.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Just take whoever falls to 4. Amen, Miller or Henderson. That's the clear tier 2 for me. No need to trade back for lower prospects and more picks when we already don't have the roster space to develop everyone we currently have.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Absolutely correct.

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think this is a 4 prospect draft, so Scoot, Amen or Brandon who have some elite qualities would work for us but I want Amen

17. Rocket85

Rocket85 Member

I don't understand trading the 4th pick. This is our last chance to be in the top of the draft for awhile unless Brooklyn totally blows it up. And with us clearly not having a superstar or alpha just yet, I would take best player available at this spot. Unless we swing for a young upcoming all star that wants out.

roslolian, OremLK and Aruba77 like this.
  18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

One excellent point for Amen: he will both eat OFF BALL with Sengun as a post / DHO passer (thereby mitigate Amen’s lack of shooting), and his height & physical tool will more effectively hide Sengun’s defensive flaws (aka Denver Nuggets). Bonus is when both improve their weakness, even slightly.

No Worries, Little Bit and OremLK like this.
  19. RC Cola

https://www.youtube.com/live/s5ylKXd2cK4?feature=share
    Vecenie does a quick recap of weaknesses for the top 10 or so (then rapid fire on other guys).

Some high level stuff (going off memory from half listening earlier, so watch it for full context):
    Wemby - yeah maybe some injury concerns, but certainly nothing to keep him from being first pick
    Scoot - Shooting/efficiency issues overblown. He might have issues in the playoffs due to his size, but he also has the tools to overcome this.
    Miller - from the intel he has, Miller is/was not seen as a bad kid outside of that incident. Finishing issues are legit concern, and people are wrong to throw out guys like Tatum, Ingram, etc as examples (they were much better). Jaylen Brown was maybe closest example, but he wasn't as bad and maybe had worst spacing of anyone. He thinks Miller would go over Jabari in the same draft (due to his offensive skills).
    Amen - less concerned about 3pt shot and more concerned about no mid range/floater. If he had that, he'd be number 2 (at least I think I heard that). Had some comparisons to Westbrook and Simmons. Also he kinda mentioned that Amen would likely not do well in an off ball Iguodala esque role, but I think he said he thought Amen might be the type to do it (even if he shouldn't). I took that as coachable, but I'm a biased Amen only fan.
    Cam - I zoned out on some of this, but think he said his handles and moves while raw could be legit over time. They went over the passing and ball stopping stuff. He actually said Houston might be a great spot for Cam (over Miller), but after thinking more, he changed his mind and picked Miller. Seemed to imply that adding another ball stopper to Jabari and JG would not be good.

Talked about Ausar, Jarace, Black, etc., but I kinda zoned out. Sorry haha. If you really care, you should watch it all anyway.

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Spinnella is not high on Bilal, but he seem he has great feel for the game.