1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Not Trade The 4th Pick! Draft A Top 4 Prospect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, May 29, 2023.

?

Trade the Pick of Draft the Prospect?

1. Trade The Pick

32 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Draft the Prospect

84 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

how about allen garnet and pierce as well? things happen

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

This first part is just poor critical thinking DD... not trying to be rude, but when you say stuff like this, it exhibits flawed patterns of thought and bad mental habits. You're focusing on the results, not the process that leads to them, and trying to over-simplify a complicated system. This isn't singles tennis (and if it was there would still be some, smaller elements of random chance). It's a team sport.

You could be the best player in the league and still get injured at the wrong times, or have your teammates get injured at the wrong times, or have a bad front office surrounding you with sh*tty roleplayers, or run into teams whose shooters get insanely, unsustainably hot for just long enough to beat you. There are all kinds of things outside of a star player's control that can prevent them from winning a ring.

I agree that you don't normally know how great a player will be early in his career. But that's why you line up as many shots at finding a franchise player as possible. Same reason you diversify your stock portfolio. Adding more chances to hit it big is how you end up eventually doing so.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Exactly the non-target comment I was expecting from Dillon, lol and it is very easy to figure what that means out, and that comment is definitely worth reporting on here.

#103 BallSoHarden, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    peleincubus likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Meow meow lol

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I respect it. You might be right, but personally I would take Jalen and Jabari over Amen....But i hope that's who we take!

6. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I saw Amen and Ausar play their first pro game on YouTube vs the Omaha Blue Claws today. I think it took place last year. The OBC aren't a strong basketball club, nevertheless they are better than the OTE clubs. I don't think Amen scored more than 9 or 10 points and I don't recall seeing him even taking a single jump shot. I saw most of the highlights. He finished at the rim strongly with an emphatic dunk, and he was able to get to the line even when he missed some layups due to good defense. He wasn't the primary ball handler until the later part of the second half. His passing and decision making was adequate. Although he made defensive errors, there was an occasion when he denied room to the opposing attacker in a timely manner and his ability to steal the ball in the lane was very good. He is clearly more talented than Ausar when it comes to playmaking despite the latter's better defense and shooting. This was the first time, that he gave me some hope of being a good 4th pick down the line.

Now, I don't know if Amen has regressed since that game. I know he has a very long way to go with his awkward jumper and he needs to become a a solid defender.

All comments are welcome. I know most of you have followed Amen Thompson more than me.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a game I saw a while back, though I never watch it in its entirety, and that is something I'd like to do (given the age/skills of the competition). Your summary generally matches what I remember.

The OTE roster is a bit weird because despite the name, I think there were only 2-3 other OTE guys besides the twins there. They filled out the roster with random dudes, similar to guys playing for other teams. I would have liked Amen to get more PG duties, but they had *so* many traditional PGs (and SGs) on that team for some reason. I think Marcus Thornton (no, the *other* Marcus Thornton) took primary minutes at PG IIRC. I haven't watched much of Amen's tape from his first OTE year, but maybe it was around this point that they decided to groom him more as a PG/playmaker than a wing (though he'd routinely be moved around regardless).

From what I recall, I don't think Amen or Ausar dominated, but I think they did alright given the circumstances. Playing against the fathers of the 8 year olds they played a short time later must have been pretty tough.

jch1911 likes this.
  9. saleem

I wanted a trade at first. I believe the offers for the 4th etc are probably extremely poor.

Deckard and RC Cola like this.
  10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't know if I've really bothered to share my opinion on that (trading #4), but unless a disgruntled superstar is available (and I mean legit superstar, top 15-20 guy?), I don't know if trading the #4 pick will be worth it, especially since we're not one player away from contending. I'm not going to single out any of the names thrown out, but I don't think any of them fit that criteria for me.

I'd just use that pick and draft whoever (pick your favorite prospect), and see if they can end up top 15-20. If they end up a bit lower than that....maybe you can trade him for a future #4 pick. :p

As for trading down...it depends on who you like and who you think will be available, but I think I'd prefer to just take the best guy at #4.

(not a crazy take, sorry)

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

[​IMG]

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There are no guarantees that anyone is going to develop the best players in the league right now were taken in the teens or 2nd round...Giannis and Joker....

If we have a chance to pick up a 26 year old Bridges or Brown you do it, as it helps set the tone for your 22 years old and younger core players.

Picking up another 20 year old that will basically not impact this year at all, is a waste of cap space, better to start diversifying this roster with older veterans to help the core 4-6 players we have now.

Either one of Green, Bari, KPJ, and Sengun are going to break out....and maybe all of them....we don't need another kid.

DD

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The only closest to guaranteed thing is Kris Murray will score 13-16 ppg easily but he is also almost 23.

14. saleem

That doesn't matter. He can give 6-7 years of solid work. I hope he will be available at 20, although I doubt it.

Y2JT likes this.
  15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Yes, Amen’s play making, vision, on ball defense and his athleticism is transferable to the NBA….he just needs a shot.

rockets1995 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Teams just overestimate this 10 to 13 years, normally a dude is not going to play his whole career with one team.

Y2JT and DaDakota like this.
  17. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Yes, just keep the pick, focus on player development and hope for the best. Might get a high end role player

Keegan Murray, Scottie Barnes, Patrick Williams, De'Andre Hunter, Jaren Jackson Jr, Josh Jackson, Dragan Bender, Kristaps Porzingis, Aaron Gordon, Cody Zeller - last 10 years 4th picks. Are they superstars? No. Are some of them complete misses? Yes. Are there some high-end role player/fringe all stars? Maybe

BamBam likes this.
  18. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sadly, there is no one outside of Wemby and Scoot that I see as an extra special talent. They all seem to have huge holes in their game or just don't have a skill that we don't already possess in our current crop of young players. To make it even more depressing, even Scoot's shooting concerns me a bit.

Eh,I've been watching this game too long I'm just getting old.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen’s defense capabilities are the same or better than Jabari and a true play maker…Amen has way more potential than Jabari

rockets1995 likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

interesting I had always heard of “shiny new toy” syndrome (idk if there’s a wiki for that ) I wonder which effect is stronger lol ?

substitution and income effect lmao