1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Call me a casual, but I have zero problem with Harden returning. This team SUCKS, the lottery turned out poorly, and if it turns out poorly next year (outside top 4) we lose the pick. James is still a talented All Star level player and I'm tired of watching crap. Even it's fringe play-in that's better than going into the season knowing for 5 months you have nothing exciting going on.

2. xaos

xaos Member

Sounds like the exact leader we need

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are we gonna act like Doc wasn’t gonna get fired Harden or no Harden after yet another game 7 beatdown?

Doc was already on the hot seat heading into the season

4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Harden is going to be a leader in the NBA in assist, we need to spend money for a good shooter, I know KPJ is a great catch and shoot player but we need Cam Johnson or Bridges….I would give up the Nets pick and swap for one of those players…..draft Amen Thompson and also sign a interior defender…..playoffs….we are back

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes. We would need him to eventually leave too.

Premeditated Exit.

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He better bring another “star” with him

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

If this is for real, Tilman shouldn't be meddling in this. Yet another sign he's a terrible owner. At least give Stone the chance to try and trade up for Scoot Henderson first, unless they know for sure that's not happening because Charlotte or Portland has basically told them "we're taking him". Harden should be contingent on that, not the other way around.

Easy and xaos like this.
  10. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

You would be dumb to not fire Doc after failing so many times in the playoffs with the quality of teams he had the privilege of coaching

11. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

You mean a mid quality team w/ no culture built around two lazy superstars?

Bury Me in the H likes this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Are there any insiders that can verify this ? I find it hard to believe he would leave the MVP, PJ tucker, Morey, and possibly the coach of his choosing.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Watch us now bring back Russ and trade (way too much, probably) for Capela just to complete the insanity. I'm ready for the next stupid Frittata moves.

[​IMG]

Aware, BamBam and Bury Me in the H like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What does it mean when someone has to say "I'm serious" a million times? How many articles have come out "according to sources" where they insist it's not a leverage play? When does that ever happen if it's not a leverage play? lol

No one is buying the leverage play and his PR team is trying hard to push it. They were laughing about it on ESPN today (Max, Key and Jay). I don't doubt that he is threatening it and telling sources to spread it. What worries me is Tilman is so dumb, he could actually make this into Plan A and then Sixers choose to move on from Harden and Tilman thinks he won a competition for Harden instead of receiving a player who was an inconsistent 1B last season.

The article says no one would offer him the max, but THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE LEVERAGE PLAY YOU MONKEY. If there is ONE team "willing" to sign him, then the threat of walking for nothing makes the Sixers willing to trade him to any team to get something. The Sixers then ALSO get to use the leverage in order to capture an asset from the new team.

That over-the-cap team will totally be willing to pay him the max since to them it's a sign and trade (they don't have cap space anyway). For example, the Sixers can at least get some bullshit like 1 year of Kyle Lowry, 2 years of Duncan Ferguson and a pick. They might be able to get Jordan Poole and Kuminga from the Warriors (I threw up a little in my mouth). They could get CP3 or Ayton. They could get Kyrie or two Mavs role players. ALLL these options are better than losing Harden one season after they traded 2 picks and 2 role players for him. There are a lot more avenues for him to get the max or near max in a winning situation than you think.

So if he ends up here, it means EVERYONE ELSE said no or he said no to winning. If he's thinking we're going to win a title with him, someone should tell him to get sober.

#2854 Mathloom, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
    Believe It! likes this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Harden wants to coast into retirement on a team with no near-term championship expectations in a city with nightlife he enjoys.

This is a terrible idea.

xaos and jim1961 like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Any and all perceptual gains that the Rockets have made to change their culture go down a diarrhea filled toilet if they sign James Harden, IMO.

Socrates likes this.
  17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

This is a man who blew a 3-1 lead to a James Harden lead team.

Glenn never recovered from that.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What gains have u seen these past three years in term of culture?
    Sht hc who has no control over his young team. Folks quitting mid game. 3 seasons of being sht. Development isn't progressing well enough that folks call our two top picks wasted. I would say the tank culture was even worse than the Harden era cause at least we were winning.

If u gonna hate on Harden Worrying about him making our sht culture worse is just hilarious.

joshuaao and Mr.Scary like this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

Not a big fan of the Harden move but given CP3’s track record, not being Paul is probably a good thing.

Patience likes this.
  20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

It’s risky for sure, but I’m not sold that our current roster and culture are primed for success anyway. Harden’s the second greatest Rocket of all time, that buys him a lot of goodwill and credibility regardless of his shortcomings.

In terms of fit, he’s definitely a better PG than anyone else on the roster, and that should improve the team right away.

htownrox1 likes this.