1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are you taking with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 16, 2023.

?

Who are you taking?

1. Amen Thompson

148 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Jarace Walker

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ausar Thompson

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Cam Whitmore

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Trade the pick

101 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Other (Specify)

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

6’7” 249 in shoes. I like the wingspan, but I think he’s too heavy to play 3.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He was inconsistent, but in this draft, I think he's probably every bit as good as those around him in the top-10, and unlike some, I don't think he's realized his full potential. Whether he achieves that or not, I have no idea, but that's the problem you have with drafting 19 year olds... who knows what they'll end up being. They may end up 20-30 lbs heavier, 1-3 inches taller, gain a jumpshot, finally understand team ball, etc. by the time they're 22.

Aruba77 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He wouldn't be playing the 3, he'd be playing the 4/5 with Jabari.

4. Jags

Jags Member

Don't fall for the "It's a top 3/4 player draft" agenda that the draft community pushes out every year.

2021: "Top 4 draft" (Cade, Jalen, Mobley, Suggs)
    Players taken after 4: Josh Giddey, Franz Wagner, Alperen Sengun, Trey Murphy, Quentin Grimes. (And you can technically count Scottie Barnes because Suggs was actually the consensus #4)

2022: "Top 3 draft" (Banchero, Chet, Jabari)
    Players taken after 3: Keegan Murray, Jaden Ivey, Ben Mathruin, Shaedon Sharpe, Jeremy Sochan, Jalen Williams, Jalen Duren, Walker Kessler, Tari Eason

Same with 2023 now being labeled as a Top 2 draft.

Promise you there's a potential star available at 4. Or even multiple high-level starters we can trade back for. Hope Stone and the FO do their homework.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would blackmail San Antonio, Charlotte, and Portland into passing on Wembanyama and draft the Frenchman.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Scoot or trade out. If you aren’t sure you can draft Scoot, trade out and move on.

7. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Whitmore isn’t in the same stratosphere with Amen, athletically. Not close.

Arnel and carl_herrera like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m a Memphis fan not a Houston fanboy. He is well worth a top 5 pick. He plays primarily 4-5 on defense, but is agile enough to do ok against 3’s. He is the real deal. Do think you could maybe trade down somewhere in the top 8 and get him. He would be a very good backup center/PF. Jabari is going to put on 20-25 muscle this off-season I bet and he will be able to play defensive center as well. Walker has a good outside shot. A 3 man rotation between those 3 at PF/C would be outstanding.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I see.
    5) Sengun/Walker
    4) Jabari/Walker/Tari

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The GM Stone always wanted a tall, athletic point guard. He begged Detroit for Cade. He wanted to make KPJ out of a point guard but that experiment failed. Stone tried to make Daishen Nix out of a point guard and it was a failure. However, Amen has a elite 1 step, elite vision and will be the most athletic player in the NBA. Great defender, rebounds and a gym rat. Stone is going draft Amen

Arnel, GotGame15, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Something like that.

I was thinking more of Jabari at the 5 with Walker at the 4 switching when needed.

I just don't see Sengun here long term with a defensive minded coach and Jalen Green to make up for. You need plus defenders on the court that can switch. A Smith, Walker, Tari lineup possibly makes up for having Green in the court.... even better if you can pick up Cam Johnson instead of Tari.

Then you'd have shooting potentially AND defense.

12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Brah there is no such thing as a "great player" that would not immediately start and be the best player on this team.
    Hell, any markedly above avg PG should come in and start for this team.

We have to be realistic or risk getting lost in hyperbole.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Trading down and getting Walker and either Black ir Wallace would do a lot in compensating for Green and Porter defensively.

No Worries likes this.
  14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Many analyst wants Amen to start for the Rockets, but that would be terrible. He such as Scoot Henderson would make too many mistakes and hurt our team. Amen is one year away and we need a veteran point guard to help our starters. Amen needs to be a backup point guard and learn from Harden.

15. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Sincerely love the optimism but why would Jabari put on 20-25 lbs of muscle in 1 offseason when he didn't put on any last off-season? If he's capable of 25 in 1 why couldn't he muster 10 prior to last year?

I agree w/ you on Walker's potential. His playmaking chops, court vision, and awareness/iq are very high for his size/age/athleticism combo and those will keep him on the court until his skill level in other areas ascends to match.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone even suggesting we get back in the Harden business after his most recent demands has an automatically invalid position.

GotGame15 and Aruba77 like this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Jabari is likely our long term center if Al P does esnt work out defensively.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we get Amen I think I'm off the Harden train unless it's somehow a 2-year contract (which I don't think will happen). I wouldn't mind Amen coming off the bench as a rook, but I'd rather have a veteran on a one year deal in front of him so he can start next year--in other words, trade for a guy on an expiring contract given the lack of good free agent options.

19. carlos

carlos Member

I think it’s too early to make a decision. I expect that some exciting players will bubble to the top after a few weeks of workouts. I can’t say there is a free agent I am excited about but every season there is a surprise trade so maybe in a month the Rockets can use the pick to pull a player that fits the roster offensively and defensively.

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Who? There is no other point guards out there in free agency except Van Vleet from Toronto. Van Vleet is a professional, championship pedigree to be our starting point guard.