1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin's Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ludicraze, Aug 1, 2004.

1. ludicraze

ludicraze Member

First off, let me say hello. I realize that this is my first post, however I have been lurking for some time now. Just thought I'd share some information that I got since this site has already given me so much. Now i realize that I have absolutely zero credibility, but just take it for what it's worth. Last night I was at T-Town when my friend and I spotted Eddie Griffin. We went up and talked to him and I asked him a few questions:

Me: Hey what's up man. When are you coming back?
    EG: Next year. Im going to be either in New Jersey or LA.

Me: LA what?
    EG: Lakers

Me: Man, we need you here in Houston.
    EG: Yeah man, but they kicked me out.

Me: Would you come back if you could?
    EG: Man, I love Houston. I love Houston.

Me: You still hurt from getting kicked out?
    EG: Yeah.

And that was it. He was really cool and nice about the whole thing. I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed like he was really hurt whenever I mentioned Houston. He just got kind of somber. I am a big Eddie fan and was very upset to hear that there was no chance that he was coming back.

On a side note, my friend did make a complete fool out of himself. Even though when he spotted him, he knew that it was Eddie, he was so drunk that later on he forgot and thought he was Rashard Lewis. He even told him that he was doing good in Seattle. He didn't even catch his mistake until I told him. He felt like such an idiot.

2. We're Back

We're Back Member

birds of a feather...

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

4. omax

omax Member

Interesting. I wish him well but we don't need him back.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the board ludicraze - interesting first post. Thanks for the info ...

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

well sounds like he has accepted responsibility for his mistakes and grown up

if he really wants to play and is ready mentally then the Nets would be perfect, what he would have to beat out everyone's favourite red head for the starting spot

7. Sane

Sane Member

I think the Nets are a good fit - they're not going to be competitive, so he can just get back into shape and stuff for a season. He can take his fair share of shots and maybe he'll get noticed.

8. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

If Eddie has his head on straight, I'd love to have him back. Simply we just need another shot blocker. Yao is decent but not as good as he should be. People won't be scared to go into the lane on us next season, epecially when Yao's on the bench.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Interesting first post, thanks, though I take issue with two of your statements. I don't think the Rockets need Griffin. And the Rockets didn't kick him out, he ran himself out by doing self-destructive things.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LA or Nets make sense. The Nets need bodies and probably could get Eddie on the cheap (as anyone could). And LA makes sense with the Rudy connection. Why not take a flyer on Eddie as a backup PF with Grant as the starter.

Wherever Eddie goes he will probably sign for the vet minimumn and wont be expected to do much. If he does anything more than that it will be a bonus. Pretty much a win-win scenario.

11. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

Don't be surprised if Eddie signs for more than the minnimum. He's got a sports agent / salesman who I'm sure is out there talking his client up seeing what he can get his hands on. Its not like anyone is saying he can't play in the NBA because they all saw what he did for us. One of his main strengths was that he was a good shotblocker from the weakside. I believe that there are many teams looking at him right now. Wondering if he is worth the risk. How many people are in the NBA right now that have had run ins with the police? Just my 2 cents.

12. tuan209

tuan209 Member

eddie griffin + lamar odom = 420

:D

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Good post.

As to your friend, reminds me of a friend I have. We were at the Kentucky Derby a couple years back, and Kid Rock comes walking by. My drunk friend yells "Axel Rose!" Kid Rock smiled.

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Interesting post. I dont want Eddie back but I'd like to see him get his stuff together.

I drunkenly walked up to the wrong Beastie Brother at a post-concert party in Dublin and started talking about Tibet. He listened, nodded, let me rant for a hell of a long time, and then pointed across the room and said "Interesting......but thats the guy you wanna talk to"

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

If I had turned out to be a huge disappointment to someone who had paid a king's ransom for me, I think I'd have some motivation to make it right to that someone.

16. tuan209

tuan209 Member

eddie griffin + lamar odom = 420

:D

17. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

u think rudy called griffin up?

18. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Are we talking about the same Eddie Griffin? Because the one I remember wasn't that much better on the court than off.

19. haven

haven Member

This is why the NBA needs a minor league badly.

Griffin needs to show something before someone gives him another chance. What's the lesson he learns with more immediate hand-outs?

Screw up, and you'll get a new contract?

No thanks. The kid has loads of talent. But make him show his progress first.

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think I know that guy.