1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex Rockets News: Francis in Beijing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowmt01, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Just stop. There is no point in dogging a fellow poster. If you just want to get banned........keep going. This is not the ESPN boards.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Either Francis is short. . or alot more Balls will be
    coming out of China soon . .and they won't be
    7+

Perhaps if they have his HOPS

Rocket River

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Those are high school kids from Shanghai, where it's no very common to see someone taller than 6'. Yao is an exception:cool:

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yeah, do you remember the first Divas special on VH1 a few years ago. Each of the performers: Mariah Carey, Gloria Estefan, Shania Twain, Celine Dion and Aretha Franklin, were once married to older male producers/musicians in the music industry.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I sure will miss him. I mean how can you not root for this guy?

Good luck Steve Francis!

#105 Roc Paint, Jul 28, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  6. HugeBlock

HugeBlock Member

7. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

Thanks for the pics everyone; Steve is a standup guy and hopefully will have continued success with the Magic: I, for one, have always had extra respect for the Rockets because of the relationships with Rudy, Calvin, Moses (who still makes a few games a year), Olajuwon & all the others who are or were still part of the family. With all the changes lately, gotta be honest, I'm a little sad. Hopefully, there's enough of the old "family" spirit left (although I don't know where it will come from: CD?) to make this a team we recognize. I too will consider Steve and Cat Rockets always and will wish them the very best (unless they get in the Rox way....).

By the way: is there a big homosexual population in Houston? as Rocket fans? Does anybody care? Didn't think so....

8. Franchisehoops

so true..

he lays his heart out here for 5 years, he made the playoffs once but was close 2 other times, and those 2 times, those records were the best that failed to reach the playoffs...yet fans still find a way to bash him

9. lineage

lineage New Member

what happened to all the pictures?? anyone have them still?

10. forebay

forebay Member

not banned yet?

11. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Yao: "I stuck my finger up his ass like THAT"

12. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

You mean..

Yao:"I stuck my finger up her ass like THAT"

13. zong

zong Member

There is a good article about SF3 and Yao on the sports.sina.com.cn/k/2004-07-28/11001029253.shtml. Can anyone translate it into english? Someone may want to read it.

14. heech

heech Contributing Member

Quick translation:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2004-07-28/11001029253.shtml

"Sports" magazine: This is the second time we've chatted; the first time was in LA after the press conference, remember?

Francis: Of course, LA. You said I had a lot of fans in China, and that they liked calling me SF3. You also said of the American NBA players, my popularity was the highest in China. I know it's all because of the Big Guy, haha.

Magazine: But it's too bad that you won't be able to actually participate in the NBA games in China this year, to tell you the truth I never thought you'd be traded this soon.

Francis: Buddy, cheer up. Didn't I come anyways? Yao always told me how beautiful Shanghai was, and how big Beijing was. I always wanted to come and check out whether he was telling the truth. And it looks like they weren't lying, Beijing's really beautiful, and that fancy street (Ed. I'd guess Wangfujing Dajie) had so many people just relaxing, I really liked here.

Magazine: You feel any difference between seeing Yao in Beijing this time, and seeing him in Houston before?

Francis: This guy was so warm to me, it almost made me feel a little unnatural. (Ed. :eek: ) But he was always like this, everyone in Houston is always complimenting him. I remember one time, he had a bunch of golf clubs by his locker... as if someone had just given them to him, looked especially nice. I tried joking with him: "Yao, how about you give those to me?" And who knew this guy would immediately respond: "Go ahead and take it, I don't know how to play anyways." But this time I feel like he's especially warm and friendly, you can tell from just looking at his face.

Magazine: Dd you tell him anything?

Francis: Nah, we agreed to get something to eat and not talk basketball. I know why he's like that; although on the basketball court he plays like a old veteran, in truth he's just a sophomore. Professional basketball is always like this: business is business. A player can find his situation changing every day, and you never know where you'll be in a minute. Although this was difficult for me to accept in the beginning, but it's not a problem any more. Yao Ming needs to learn to accept this, and it'll be a big step forward for him. (Ed. SF3 encouraging Mr. Yao to look around in free agency?)

Magazine: How big of a step is this?

Francis: From 2nd year to 3rd year. (Small smile) Just joking, I think once he's used these trades, these every-day things wno't bother him. He'll get used to playing with all types of players, just like the All-Star Game. Maybe some day, Yao's team will have another trade, and one of the players will be asked: "Yao Ming's in the middle, what do you think is the best way to feed him the ball?" I think based on his current achievements, there will be such a day once.

Magazine: Still remember your first impression of him?

Francis: When this guy got here, he especailly loved asking questions, and I liked that. Really, Yao Ming's not stupid, he's very smart. During practice, he made sure he was clear on everything, and quickly cut down on my chances to curse him on the court. (Smiling) I said that to Cat once.

Magazine: Can you tell me what you said?

Francis: This new guy ain't bad, he can really help us. At the time Cat said, just wait and see. The first time I heard he was coming was when Dawson told me, because I had pulled the #1 draft pick for the Rockets. He said: "Steve, we're planning to drive a 7'6" Chinese boy, what do you think?" I directly told him that I was in total agreement, and I also told CD, if he doesn't work out I'm going to ask you to trade him just as directly.

Magazine: Do you think he's met expectations yet?

Francis: Of course. If you feel Shaq's the league's top center, who else can play him like Yao Ming? Before Yao arrived, I was actually praying in the locker room: hoping that the new big guy can take us into the post-season. When he first faced Shaq last season, and blocked him 3 times in a row, and then threw in a little hook shot... I went crazy, I remember jumping to Cat and telling him: "Cat, did you see! He did it! Really! He did it!" We won the game that time, and the last score I passed to him ... pretty beautiful, right? (Ed. I was at that game, SF3 is truly a class act for not taking credit for a MONSTER game.)

BALL-PASSING
    Magazine: You mention passing the ball, and I have something I need to tell you: A lot of the Chinese fans that call you SF3 all feel you don't really like passing the ball to Yao, and will take the shot at critical times.

Francis: Are you sure that's what they think? I think they should say SF3 isn't shooting enough, let him shoot more, Yao's under the basket anyways. (Laughing) The first year, I really didn't want to pass him the ball, especially at the beginning of the season. When Yao first arrived, he was very polite and respected us, but I felt that although his improvement was quick, but he was still missing something.

Magazine: Can we tell what's missing from his face? Is it confidence?

Francis: Ah, brother, you nailed it perfectly! Looks like you understand him really well! Although Yao's body is huge, but after he arrived at Houstin he truly didn't have a lot of self-confidence, at least that's how I saw it. I remember one game, he was being bullied by some son of a b**** (Ed. literal translation!)... (silent for a while) Right, it was Seattle's Jerome James. The previous game he had said he was ready, and Rudy T. especially said Yao seemed especially happy today. But I remember that day, he was afraid to look James in the eye, was always shifting around, as if he didn't know what he should be doing. From that point on, I remember clearly that every time he faced the same situation, he'd play poorly. Regardless of where a player is playing, in the NBA or some other league, you must have confidence, and in fact you should have more confidence in yourself than any of your teammates. And when you arrive at a critical point, the result will be drastically different depending on whether you BELIEVE you can make that clutch shot.

Magazine: If it's really like this, then Yao Ming made a lot of progress in his second year.

Francis: Indeed. Especially when he started scoring a lot of points, I could tell that he was looking down his chin at... (someone who's name I can't translate), that was evidence Yao knew he wasn't any worse than him, and this time he can actually beat them.

Magazine: Do you believe Yao was getting the ball enough inside?

Francis: To tell you the truth, not enough. But I don't think this was a situation I created. A lot of people described it this way, because after I got to the Rockets Hakeem was often injured, I was an outside player, and at critical times the ball would come outside to me... and after Yao Ming came, it was still this way for a very long while. But this was a problem, because Yao Ming as an all-star was still having a hard time finding opportunities to practice taking shots at critical times. So, after Jeff (VG) got here, he was right to make Yao Ming a priority. But taking a look at the season as a whole, I still feel like the guy most appropriate to take the shot at a critical point was me.

Magazine: At the All-Star Game, Barkley pointed at you and said: here comes the guy who can't see the elephant in his living room.

Francis: That old XX! (Friend: Tell these guys the story about you tripping him!) Truth is, Yao and I both have our own ball-playing style, and should just play the way you play. Everyone that comes to my homecourt shold understand: this is Steve's territory, and he's the best player here.

15. njsun

njsun Contributing Member

16. heech

heech Contributing Member

Part Deux: (changing the subject after that last exchange)

Magazine: No matter where you go you'll need a big guy, and the one next to you now is a different Steve.

Francis: You're talking about Steve Hunter? Oh he's much worse than Yao, that type of center Yao could take 1 on 3.

Magazine: Yao's growing more and more confident, and his advantages growing more and more clear. What other weaknesses does he have?

Francis: Yao should get wilder, and maybe his body should get a little more solid. He's China's best player, but he has some poor aspects to his character. But I think he's changed a little.. last time I heard him curse at someone, he was still soft-voiced, and he should really scream it out! (Francis yells out "TOMATO" a few times.)

Magazine: Why're you yelling Tomato? (Ed. Seriously dude, that's whack.)

Francis: Doesn't Yao love to eat'em? Otherwise, why does he mutter that word when he misses free-throws? (Apparently he got the Chinese 3-letter curseword TMD confused with the English word Tomato.) (Ed. Uh, no, I assume Francis was joking and knows exactly what TMD means.)

Magazine: Does he still have a problem with stamina/strength?

Francis: He needs rest. Yao Ming is absolutely very tired, and really he has no reason to be this tired. But he has to participate in national team games and practices, and this is a lot of work. Yao Ming already works very hard, and I think it'd be hard to work harder than he does. But some things can't be achieved even with more hard work. I really wanted to stay in Houston, and I work hard every day to achieve it... but what was the final result?

PERSONALITY
    Magazine: Let's talk about happy stuff, this is a bit of a heavy topic.

Francis: What should we talk about? Girls? (Big laugh)

Magazine: Yao Ming said your personality is like a kids, very adorable.

Francis: I feel like he's the same way. When he hears us tell a joke you can tell from a look he doesn't understand, but then he starts laughing... and everyone gets happier just seeing him alugh too. One time, the two of us were chatting, I darted behind him and hid: "Rudy!" And his face changed immediately... and when he looked behind him and saw no one there, I laughed so hard.

Magazine: Has he ever tricked you?

Francis: I think so... oh right, have you heard the story about "the big pig said there is, and the little pig said there isn't"?

Magazine: You made a mistake, I told him that story! You think I could be tricked?

Francis: Ah! I heard it from other people! Look at you, so many people were fooled!

Magazine: I really think you're an interesting/fun person, you and Yao Ming often joke arond?

Francis: Of course, he's my brother. When Rudy got cancer, "Mean" was leading the team, and cursed at Yao every day. He was a rookie! It's normal for him to be making mistakes, and Yao was already playing very well for a rookie, why's he cursing at him? In Texas one time, I forget if it was the Spurs or the Mavs, oh right, Spurs. After we lost the game, Smith was screaming at everyone in the locker-room, after finishing with me he moved on to Yao... I had enough! Yao didn't say a word, and even sat down to listen to Smith rant; and at this moment I charged in front of "Mean", and let'em have it with my curses. I really get annoyed when someone curses my brother, no matter when it is.

Magazine: It seems you always treat Yao Ming as your brother, but I hear that in the professional leagues, a lot of team veterans aren't this nice to veterans; Yao said you've never told him to buy breakfast, carry luggage, or bully him around... he said you aren't like a veteran.

Francis: You tell Yao, he's lucky he came to the Rockets. Why didn't I let him be my servant? Because Hakeem and Barkley was never that way to me. This is a traditional team, no one bullied me. I didn't tell you my story about me and Barkley playing on-one-one... but do you think that'd be possible on another team? This is a place that has given birth to a lot of great centers, and Yao Ming will definitely be joining them. Everyone's the same, I'm not a franchise player.

Magazine: Do you think Yao could turn into a franchise player?

Francis: Maybe, maybe not; based on right now no, but I can't tell the future. Really, if he can become a franchise player it'd be pretty great, a center being the head guy feels pretty good, big guy... just like padelike (Ed. Sorry, who?), and you get the feeling behind the big guy is really pretty great. But Yao's a good guy, it seems he's always unwilling to annoy others... actually that feeling's pretty good, a lot of people like you, will invite you to dinner, play with you.

Magazine: Heard you had some (Beijing) Duck. What'd you think?

Francis: (Awkward laugh) Not really... very good. My first time eating duck, never had it before. The shrimp balls are pretty good, shrimp balls! I had a lot, what do you like to eat?

Magazine: I like shrimp balls too, but I heard Houston's Hooders is even better... really? (Ed. Hooters, my good man, HooTers. But the O O is the important part.)

Francis: (big laugh) You know about this too? When do you go to Houston? I'll take you.

Magazine: But you're in Orlando now...

Francis: So what? My house is still in Houston. I still haven't sold my Houston house, it's still my home.

Magazine: I heard you plan on dunking on Yao... really?

Francis: Go ask Yao, is he going to let me have hot pot? (Ed. This must mean something else... no idea.)

Magazine: The next time the two of you play, who's going to win?

Francis: I'm going to try really hard, and I'm sure he will too. Who wins isn't really all that important.. when we get back to Hosuton, he's taking me out to dinner.

Magazine: If you could tell him one sentence, what would you say?

Francis: Take care. (Take care.)

Magazine: After leaving Beijing, what do you have to say to the Chinese fans?

Francis: Although I can't do what I promised in LA, and come to play in a game in China... but based on what I've seen today, I feel like China will forever be my home court.

17. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Thanks for the translation job, great read :)

-G'day-

18. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

So what Yang-Yi reported earlier this year about this incident was actually true. Interesting.

-G'day-

19. bohemian

bohemian Member

SF3 mentioned Ratliff and Nowitzki here

nice artiicle and excellent translation, heech!

20. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Heech: Hot pot means block.