1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What I have heard about the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

I'm not here pretending that Green is better than Young, but if you're gonna talk, you gotta put some effort into it instead of talking bs. Young is a better defender than Green by a negligible difference and his fg% stands at a whopping 43% while Green's stands at 42%. Talk about being about more efficient scorer than Green will ever be. You people are just too much sometimes.

#81 Yinka Dare, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Believe It! and DatRocketFan like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Indeed. It is difficult to tell if at all if mgmt and coaching were intentionally holding the team back with strategy/system (making Green & Jabari try to create more of their own shots etc) or if it was only by dictating team fit and minute allocation (obviously mandated team youth added to losses)

If most of or all 5 of those were managed it is hard to gauge how much that added to the Rockets win/loss record. Regardless that is over all that is left now is to see what luck is there on drafting. Which then dictates who they trade for, who they sign in free agency & who they possibly consolidate youth wise on the team and into what.

They will have a ton of ways they can go. It has been a LONG 3 years and is time to flip the script. Putting these young guys in better positions to be successful and see who sinks and swims.

There is also a huge difference in adding Victor W than say Jarace Walker or Cam Whitmore as far perception perhaps not expectation though. Let's see what happens :D:D:D

#82 peleincubus, Apr 10, 2023
    Nook and ApacheWarrior like this.
  3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

4 years rookie scale

4 years max extension

affordable until the 3rd contract.

vs trade out of a rookie scale contract for someone on a max or supertax now and it becomes unaffordable much quicker.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just obvious, I know I tend to overestimate the intelligence of my audience, but I didn't feel like such obvious statements needed to be spelled out.

Trae hasn't had a season with a TS% as bad as Jalen's since his rookie season....when you're comparing a 58% career TS% guy to a career 54% TS% guy there's really no question. Trae was a 60%+ TS guy last season....Jalen likely never even sniffs that because he's a streaky rather than good shooter and has a tendency to chuck.

Do I have to explain why Jalen is a worse rebounder than Anthony Davis too?

5. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

I'm not here pretending that Green is better than Young, but you gotta put some effort into it instead of talking bs. Young is a better defender than Green by a negligible difference and his fg% stands at a whopping 43% while Green's stands at 42%. Talk about being about more efficient scorer than Green will ever be. You people are just something else sometimes.
    Like i said, i'm not pretending Green is better than Young, but to make such a big fuss about so small of a difference is dumb. You made it seem like we were comparing Yinka Dare to Hakeem.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not a small difference, it's like the difference between Westbrook's efficiency in Houston and Chris Paul's efficiency.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I always state two paths (prior to opening night)
    1) go for it target "Play-n" or better

2) Tank

You have been right or correct two years now by saying "TANK"

Not likely we are tanking this year as our pick goes to our doormat rival
    as they have made the jump this season and are ahead of us in rebuild.
    Nets will want Harden type 4 first rounders and pick swaps. Forget it.
    Jaylen Brown as well.

Torrey Craig would be a one year deal. This allows Cam Whitmore or Jarace
    a season to adjust to the league.

Harden left as payroll was capped and Tilman couldn't pay PJ Tucker
    what he wanted. From that point Harden contract kept getting
    bigger which booted out productive vets for vet min trash.

Now Harden would get to do a LeBron going back to former
    team with new athletic young bloods...... championship
    window reset. Start of 4-year window needs talented vets
    to go with the young bloods as well. Just my opinion.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I always state two paths (prior to opening night)
    1) go for it target "Play-n" or better

2) Tank

You have been right or correct two years now by saying "TANK"

Not likely we are tanking this year as our pick goes to our doormat rival
    as they have made the jump this season and are ahead of us in rebuild.

Torrey Craig would be a one year deal. This allows Cam Whitmore or Jarace
    a season to adjust to the league.

Harden left as payroll was capped and Tilman couldn't pay PJ Tucker
    what he wanted. From that point Harden contract kept getting
    bigger which booted out productive vets for vet min trash.

Now Harden would get to do a LeBron going back to former
    team with new athletic young bloods...... championship
    window reset. Start of 4-year window needs talented vets
    to go with the young bloods as well in year one.

Just my opinion.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

No to trae young if Snyder can't make him work, I don't think any coach we hire will able to make him a better team player. We already got one "redemption project" in kpj, we don't need another one

No Worries likes this.
  10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Goodbye. Kyrie would ball out here

11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Good honest write up. I don't want Harden back. He's a quitter and will be screaming at teammates pouting when they make mistakes. Suggs would be a NICE addition. The key is to get a natural pg next to Green. I'd take a Mike Conley as well. The Rockets also need size at center, more physicality & shotblocking.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Harden's a quitter? He carried the team for the better part of a decade and of course at the end of each season had no starch left in him. In any case, I'd take his excellent PG abilities.

Y2JT and No Worries like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think a backcourt of Green and Young would ever work defensively at the highest levels.

Defensively Young is atrocious and even if Green improved, it wouldn’t be enough IMO.

If I want someone from the Hawks, it is Murray - who could work well with Green.

Young’s name has come up before around the league, I hope he ends up in NYC and not the Rockets.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think a backcourt of Green and Young would ever work defensively at the highest levels.

Defensively Young is atrocious and even if Green improved, it wouldn’t be enough IMO.

If I want someone from the Hawks, it is Murray - who could work well with Green.

Young’s name has come up before around the league, I hope he ends up in NYC and not the Rockets.
    Yup. I am trying to be agnostic on Porter but Stone likes him, at least until a better option is available.

I will be curious to see how KPJ handles a new coach.

Tfor3 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Im not the rah rah type… but yes, I think they can win 35 next year because they are going to be adding at least one, if not two major free agents or key players in a trade.

The money is going to be spent, and while there are a lot of teams wanting a star - there are also a lot of guys available, especially if you consider guys that are near all stars.

My guess is the Rockets get at least one of those near all stars from a trade or free agency, and another key starter type player.

Add those guys to the natural improvement of Green, Smith, Sengun and this upcoming draft… and they will be substantially improved.

Deuce, Tfor3 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Murray has that dawg in him. Would give Green a good person to emulate on how to give proper effort outside scoring.

Nook likes this.
  17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

If you think the team was a 22 wins/season team, 50% win increase certainly a lot,
    But if you consider the real talent in Rockets squad and intentional tanking the scenery changes. No Silas, no Nix and no KPJ at PG, the team is already 30+ team and adding 2 first round '23 picks plus 2 vet and 7 first round picks' improvement in 2nd&3rd year you can't settle <= 5 wins.

35 wins is too little for the improvement. 41 wins is the minimum requirement. JGreen/Sengun/Jabari/Tari/Garuba/Josh/TyTy will certainly improve. I don't expect any of them to regress. Add them 2 picks+2 vets+ KJM/KPJ and 2 other bench players (Boban,Days,Augustine,...) and employ an average HC, the future is bright.

If Rox employs Silas type of HC and fill the roster Brooks/House/Hudgins/Matthews/Nix type of players, it is a different story then.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

A ‘real’ coach in and of itself is worth 10-15 wins. I has much excite about our future.

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

He can't, man. For some reason he is incapable of comparing 1st or 2nd year players to what others did in their 1st or 2nd years. It's called projecting. Trying to get a picture or vision of what may come... what might be. What we can expect.

Why in the world would you try to compare what a 5 year vet is doing today or in the last 2 years with a rookie and/or 2nd year player? Sure makes more sense to try and look at what that vet did in their first couple of seasons. But I guess if you do that you're guilty of thinking whoever you're trying project will be Michael Jordan or Dream. Unreal.

Trae was more efficient in his first two seasons MAINLY because he's a better free throw shooter than Jalen. His eFG% after his first two seasons was 49.96 (50.00 even excluding heaves). Jalen's is 49.48 (49.59 excluding heaves). Non-heave FG%: Trae was at 42.8%, Jalen 42.1%.

Non-heave 3 point FG's: Trae was at 34.4%, Jalen at 34.2%. Two point FG%: Trae was at 48.8%, Jalen at 48.3%. The main difference was Trae's outstanding FT shooting. 84.7% to 79.0% for JG.

To look at those numbers and try to make any definitive statement of Jalen Green never being as efficient as Trae Young is nothing more than an opinion. Especially factoring in just how bad the Rockets spacing & overall situation has been. May be true though due to the better FT shooting.

Young is NOT a better defender. Stating who is a better defender is nothing more than an opinion. But...

Defensive real plus minus: Trae was at -5.05 & -6.17 his first two seasons. Hell, he was at -1.02 THIS season. Last year Jalen was at -0.15 and this year +1.13.

Isolation defense: Trae's first two seasons he was in the 32nd & 29th percentiles. This year he is up to the 68th percentile. Last year Jalen was in the 89th percentile & this season he finished in the 63rd.

But, whatever lol.

#99 HTown5933, Apr 10, 2023
    Yinka Dare likes this.
  20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Jalen Suggs? Kyrie Irving? WTH

harold bingo likes this.