1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets expected to part ways with Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Apr 7, 2023.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lol. Why would we put our young roster in the hands of a young coach with zero HC coaching experience?

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very true. I really want a defensive first coach. Does Nurse fit the bill? Our offense is going to be outstanding next year if they can utilize Porter and Sengun properly.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

We are still in the player development phase. What we really need is a longtime college coach or someone who can move the talent forward on a daily basis. We are still three years from competing in the playoffs.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not if they sign significant free agents or trade for Bridges or Brown. We will be competing next year.

5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Jake is reputable and well respected.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

And that was with their top draft pick Chet sidelined the entire year.

clos4life likes this.
  7. txtodd

txtodd Member

We beat the Wizards by 75 tomorrow and it's "no so fast".

8. sinan28

sinan28 Member

In terms of Raptors fanbase Nurse should definitely stay there. He is top 10 if not 5 coaches in the league.
    I definitely don't wish it for the Raptors but if he somehow parted ways, Rockets should pursue him 110 %.
    I don't think Brooks would be good enough for defensive purposes.
    I must say that I envy Memphis, Utah, OKC and Boston for having the coaches they have. We need a guy that caliber, a Nick Nurse, Udoka type guy.

9. Damion Laverne

Not saying that Mahmoud should be our first choice. Just that Scott Brooks would not move the needle enough

glimmertwins, Stephen_A and Mathloom like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And without Chris Paul.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really feel bad for Silas. If they're firing him it means his agent didn't negotiate a guarantee to coach next season which is so dumb. He should have initially threatened to quit over it and his record would be clean rather than containing 3 tanking seasons. Other teams would have understood he is resigning cause we traded Harden. It's kind of dumb he accepted a job like that where he can be scapegoated in year 3 and now he has the worst record in coaching history lol. Who the F will hire him now? Such a bad plan.

Anyhow, I do think there's a chance he's a good coach of veterans especially after his new experience rebuilding a team. However, I don't think we should gamble and see what happens. If we can fire him let's do it and get an elite coach who has a championship on their resume as a player/coach/lead-assistant.

Would be a great step towards resetting the culture. I really want Atkinson he did exactly what we need. He took a bunch of nobodies and made them attractive to an FA (Kyrie) who then recruited Durant. He runs a tight ship and great at getting the best out of his roster. Nets had no picks, no valuable young guys, no stars and they built a playoff team anyway. After that experience he went on to win a title with the Warriors as one of the lead assistants (and they run offense through C which is great cause we have Sengun). We need this guy in our lives.

#91 Mathloom, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    joshuaao likes this.
  12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

They better not hire another rookie coach. Is time to hire a coach with experience.

cheke64 and Mathloom like this.
  13. sinan28

sinan28 Member

You said it man - Stan van Gundy! His failure in Detroit can happen. Look what happened to Phil Jackson with the Knicks.
    He is the type of guy that can implement solid foundations to this team.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He was a long time assistant with the Pacers and had a lot of experience with that core group. But he did win 56 games with them one year and into a couple conference finals but just couldn’t get past Lebron’s Heat super team. My point is he has had issues being inflexible and couldn’t win with 3 superstars on his team. It’s just funny to me how people on here complain that Silas can’t bring the best out of his players when we see several teams implode or not win with a group of multiple stars or conversely they lose without their star players (golden state 2019-20 without Steph and Klay or 21-22 without Klay).

a time to chill and HP3 like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most coaches with real NBA experience probably don't want to get near coaching a bunch of 20 year olds. Most coaches of young teams are probably going to be 40-year olds with some assistant experience or maybe some head coaching experience in the NBA. At least that's what it's seem to have been.

No Worries likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think Stone likes his power trip and will hire another yes man coach.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Some of OKC’s core players are veterans and they have played with seasoned vets that helped shape their careers. SGA Williams and Dort played with CP3 in 19-20. That team had several vets on it including Gallinari Schroeder and Steven Adams. CP3 helped develop SGA’s game and mentored him that year. SGA has been in the league for 5 years. Same with Williams and Dort has been in for 4. Giddey is only in his second year but he is a great playmaker and facilitator unlike KPJ and is a great compliment to this OKC team. The pieces fit unlike our team. It’s easy to look at the average age and jump to conclusions but a closer look tells a different story.

Corrosion, Dayop and a time to chill like this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That’s what the Raptors did with Nurse and what Warriors did with Kerr.

No Worries and clos4life like this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Atkinson’s team when he reached the playoffs in 18-19 was already a veteran group. The roster wasn’t filled with “nobodies”. Dinwiddie was in his 5th year and a notable rising player in the league. D Russel was in his 4th year. Harris already established himself as a sharpshooter in his 4th year. They had vet guidance with guys like Dudley, Crabbe, and Demarre Carroll. Add good young players to this mix like jarret allen and lavert and you have a winning core. That team is nothing like the Rockets these past 3 years. If Silas is let go, sadly will never know whether he could take a more experienced team with vet and star support to greater heights.

rocketchamp and a time to chill like this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Rockets legend Scott Brooks.

Bring him home?