1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best handles

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dharocks, Jul 27, 2004.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Of all the NBA players you've watched throughout the years, who do you think had the best ball-handling ability? Here are the guys that come to mind for me:

Kenny Anderson - NY Playground legend. Great handles. Never put it all together, though.

Tim Hardaway - In my opinion, he possessed the greatest crossover the NBA has ever seen.

Isiah Thomas - Magician with the ball. Great ball handler, though in my opinion he overdribbled.

Allen Iverson - Large hands + amazing athleticism and quickness = Killer Crossover.

Michael Jordan - As long as the Refs don't call him for palming (which I never saw them do).

I haven't seen enough film of Bob Cousy to rank him. Magic was good, but definately not in the same league as those five. Wasn't sure if I should add Pistol Pete.

2. dn1282

dn1282 Member

the fact that you left out pistol pete and considered MJ in that list is pretty ridiculous.

and are we talking about handles as in "break your ankles, leave your jockstrap on the floor" handles or as in "i never turn the ball over" handles? If it's the former, those and 1 guys and the guys in rucker owns everyone on your list.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

How about going old school and selecting Pistol Pete Maravich. Relative to his peers, he was legendary.

EDIT: I see I was a bit late with this remark.

Ok fine, how about the Professor from the And One Mix Tape Tour.

4. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I dunno...I like Hot Sauce better. :D

5. munco

munco Member

Tim Hardaway had ridiculous handles and the best crossover.
    Marbury also has some pretty sick handles.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

When you said handles, i thought about "g-money" or "bubble-Butt" or "Vida Loca", you know, nicknames...;)

Anyway, Pistol Pete...

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Jordan is nowhere close to being a top ball handler. Both Kobe and McGrady have better handles, IMO.

I'd also reiterate that Pistol Pete simply has to be on there. So should Steve Francis, Jason Williams, and Rafer Alston.

8. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

If we're talking about ball-handling magic, crossovers, behind the back passes, etc., then the street legends come to mind. Iverson, Rafer Alston, Tim Hardaway, Kenny Anderson, Jason Williams, and Stephan Marbury would certainly be near the top.

Solid ball-handling in terms of passing ability and ball control (no turnovers) would have to include Magic Johnson, Pistol Pete, Isaiah, and even Johnny Stockton.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

what about good ol Oscar?

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Steve Francis too if your talking about dribbling, cross overs etc.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

White chocolate for the best handles. The guy only turns the ball over trying to pass. If he keeps the ball, no one can steal it from him.

12. Kurupt the Kingpin

Tony Parker's often overlooked. The guy's got ridiculous crossovers and spin moves...

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Jamaal Tinsley

14. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Pistol pete and Isiah Thomas are the best dribblers I've ever seen.

15. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I agree. Jordan's ballhandling was nowhere near a weakness, but it wasn't that great either. Kobe has the best handles of any SG in the league IMO, unless you count AI. Overall, I'd take AI or Jason Williams as having the best handles.

Those And1 guys can't dribble without palming the ball. 90% of their moves involve carrying. I don't really call that ballhandling. I did see part of the Professor's workout though, and his handles are outstanding.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You guys all missed the point of me including Jordan. It was just a dig at the fact that he always palmed the ball. Geeze.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Oliver Miller by far has the best handles.

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Yeah, he's jellin', but Thomas "Two Sandwiches" Hamilton is up there too.

19. erikg422

erikg422 Member

Hey LilStevie who did the professor workout for???

20. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I don't remember the guy's name, but he was a ballhandling coach for many NBA players. It was during an ESPN special on the Professor.