1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Three predictions for an important Rockets offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 6, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Banchero's first 50 games was good and then gradually fell off.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Trading Sengun for what exactly? I'm all for trading anyone for an all star player like Brown, but if you are just dumping a 20 year old for picks and mediocre talent I don't see any logic

BigMaloe, BamBam, Easy and 3 others like this.
  3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I don’t know about y’all, but I don’t trust Stone to make the right hire or trades in anyones predictive scenario..

Rudyc281 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yeah I can't see the logic in trading Sengun. People want to give our other young players breaks because they are young and should improve. Why not extend the same thought to Sengun? You won't get back anyone better IMO and will regret the trade later.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should have promoted Eli Witus over Stone but that is just an opinion.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

The most appropriate style of play for Sengun does kind of conflict with the rest of the roster and Smith at center doesn't so I can understand why they'd listen to offers for Sengun. BUT, I would hope whoever they hire to replace Silas would be creative enough to make Sengun work with the rest of the roster before giving up on him as part of the rebuild.

clos4life likes this.
  7. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Thanks for the great conversation starter Clutch.
    1. Silas being replaced is a no-brainer. The key will be who they replace him with. I'm hopeful the new coach implements a system that can incorporate the talents of the young guys we already have and improve the team defense.
    2. Yes, the KPJ point guard experience SHOULD be over, but will management see it that way? I think he still has a lot of value as an off-ball catch & shoot player, probably bets of the bench. Trading him for a better fit would be fine too.
    3. Sengun should have value in the league, so I could see him being shopped but there's no reason to dump him based on his poor defense thus far. As mentioned many times, he's got so many unique abilities and still so young. Hopefully, a new coach can put in a better offensive and defensive system that takes advantage of his unique abilities (like a Jokic or Sabonis) while he continues to develop physically and improves his team defense. I would not trade him for a short-term fix.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The logic would be that he doesn't fit with the way the rest of the roster wants to play the game and there's only so many starting positions available....but he still has value, so you get what you can for him.

For example, if the Rockets win the lottery and draft Wemby, you aren't starting Sengun, Smith, and Wemby together, so one of the 3 would either be off the bench or traded....and I think the Rockets value Smith over Sengun.

ArtV likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hopefully a new coach will create offensive and defensive systems that fit the personnel, not try to conform to “the way the rest of the roster wants to play” ie Coach Stephen Silas. I don’t know how anyone could watch Sengun play since being inserted into the starting lineup and want to trade him, unless it’s to help land a not over-the-hill all-star. He is going to be a good 3 pt shooter soon enough which will make him an offensive superstar. He will need to improve his body and defense, but he is 20 years old.

BamBam, ArtV and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think my point was that I don't see them building a system around Sengun, I think they'll build the system around everyone else instead. We'll see how it goes.

Perhaps the new coach will believe like the Sengun fans do that he's the greatest player in the world and will view him as the franchise player of the Rockets. So long as it works, I'd be all for it...but I don't think that's likely to be the case, that's why I think it's more likely they look to move him.

His value is nowhere near an all star player as a return, but if you could get a 1st for him, or use him and a first to move up for a specific player, I think you'd do that.

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Sengun is a great young player and a foundational building block. Trading him would be ridiculously short-sighted and we would come to regret it. He could easily end up being a top 15 guy in the NBA. Sengun, Jabari and Green are our future and should be considered as untouchable as anyone in the league.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sengun never made the point that he was to be the first option, on the contrary, staying a humble and nice guy.

It was weird that the Rockets couldn't get rid of Ego for 3 years and now are hellbent on getting rid of a young guy?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think KPJ will be starting at PG next year no matter who the coach is or who we draft.

DD

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never suggested he did, I'm just saying that you have a type of system that works best for basically everyone else on the roster then you have a type of system that works for Sengun and they are not the same system. So you either set your system up specifically for Sengun, or you set your system up for everyone else.

Now, if you believe Sengun is your franchise player and the future of the league or whatever Sengun fans think, you absolutely build around him. We'll just have to see what the new coach thinks.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No way for a 1st unless it’s top 2 and you believe in Scoot. You won’t get Wemby for him. I’m not saying Sengun straight up for an all-star, but depending on if we get Wemby, Sengun and some or all of Nets picks for Brown or Bridges is worth looking into, but only if we sign Harden as well. I think you are selling Sengun’s potential short just like Jalen’s. At this point in the Rockets re-build, potential is a very important factor. Jabari might be a great center defensively in a couple of years and if Sengun hasn’t improved defensively by then, he becomes a trade piece.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, Sengun doesn't have anywhere near that kind of value. He's not actually Jokic.

That said, if the new coach shares that opinion, that Sengun is basically the next Jokic who is worth the #2 pick in the draft, I'm sure he'll build the entire roster around him so it won't be an issue.

I'm just saying don't be surprised if the new coach does not share that opinion and the Rockets move on from him in order to build a system that best maximizes guys like Green, Smith, Tari, KPJ, and whoever they pick with their own lotto pick in this upcoming draft.

There's too much up in the air right now to say for sure, but it's definitely a possibility, especially if they land Wemby.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You have always been one of the top posters on this site!

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would love to get Wemby, but I predict that Sengun will have a more productive NBA career.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My post stated that unless it’s a top 2 pick it won’t happen. Do you really think the Rockets are going to trade a guy like Sengun for Miller or Amen?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those are lottery picks....I think if the Rockets decided to go a different direction and attempt to build a team that can play 5 out on offense and switch everything on defense, they'd be absolutely thrilled if a team traded a lottery pick for Sengun. They'd probably jump at that kind of deal.

Again, that's assuming the new coach wants to go in a different direction and build around the rest of the roster instead of building around Sengun.