1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we don't draft a PG and don't land Harden, who do you want playing point guard next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 5, 2023.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

get him the ball? He's the pg... he's the head honcho... he's supposed to be running the offense...lol!
    If dude wants to be reduced to a catch and shoot option with a real pg - fine... but i doubt he's happy just sitting on the perimeter getting 8 or 10 shots and maybe a couple penetrations a game...
    6th gives him the opp to continue to develop... he can be ball dominate for certain stretches...
    obviously the dude is.... 'delicate'... so i'm also thinking the best way to take away the 'head honcho' duties - and still keep him engaged...
    which that may not even work... we may have to ship him if we take away pg duties...

DatRocketFan likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, I think you probably nailed it, I am secretly a non Rockets fan and a hater.

I mean, its definitely not that you are an overly sensitive beta.

[​IMG]

DaDakota likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, he has been very good at setting up his teammates, and for more than half the year his teammates clunked everything - now he is settling in a bit more as the rotation has solidified and he is playing great as a PG.

Just think where he is after 2 years of learning and how he is improving every year and where he will be in a couple more years when we are finally ready to contend.

None of those guards listed are better than him at this time - I am fine with an upgrade, give us a list of players that are available that would be an upgrade.

And no, none of them would be a rookie.

DD

fattz and PatBev like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you didn't follow along with what I was saying, so I'll try to explain it again. There's a difference between just getting someone the ball and creating open looks for them. That's why I said "I don't necessarily want him to have more touches, I want better touches."

KPJ creates catch and shoot 3 point opportunities for everyone else on the roster....but almost no one creates them for him. That's what I'm looking to change. When your team has an elite catch and shoot 3 point shooter, you should take advantage of that. Right now, the Rockets can't really do that because they lack passing talent overall. KPJ can't create catch and shoot attempts for himself.

If the Rockets had the passing talent to take advantage of what KPJ can do from 3, it would open everything else up. It would stretch defenses and it would open up driving lanes for KPJ when defenders crashed too hard on him. Brining in some actual talent so that KPJ didn't have to do it all himself would be the best thing for KPJ and the best thing for the team. If Green manages to develop into that guy, even better, but despite his progress, I still have doubts.

It's pretty clear the laughably foolish "6th man" bullshit is just people who want him off the team but know that take is too stupid to even attempt to defend given that he's currently the best guard on the roster. I just wish more had the courage to just fully go with their cognitive bias.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

so stupid. The rockets lack passing talent to set kpj open to shoot 3s.

Man is the fking pg and he has sengun to pass the ball, if he wanted or needs someone to set him up, then he should b the sixth man like folks been suggesting or gtfo

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The rockets are making 40.6 fg per game. The league leader is Atlanta at 44.5 and 42.6 would put you at 12th best. The extra 2 fgs will correspond to something between .2 and .5 to kpj’s assist numbers. So it won’t make hell of a difference if we were shooting well.

kpj’s assist numbers are as low as it could be relative to the resources he uses. And the problem is not team mates not hitting the shots. For a comparison in January after kpj got injured, rockets averaged 24.1(compared to 21.8 prior to that) while playing through Sengun despite not having a decent pg, not having any experience playing that way and losing one of its best scorers.

fryjol7 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

as i said... if he wants to be reduced to a stand on the perimeter and be a catch n shoot option - so be it... i think he has skills beyond that (not the set to be a starting pg) but still skills beyond being just a catch n shoot option....

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

If it ain’t Scoot or Harden just run it back with KPJ with a competent team with actual vets off the bench

I ain’t giving no 30 year old Fred Van a bag. I’d rather supercharge our bench with quality vets. By the time Green & Jabari are truly NBA ready Fred will be too old for a dynasty run

Spend all the cap space on a bench. KPJ ain’t looking too bad now that Jabari and Tari aren’t banging simple layups 20ft off the backboard. Imagine a season without Nix and a quality talent like Conley or Schroeder

DaDakota likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

If Green were better than Porter would be better, too. We don’t have a 2 combo guard system because we don’t have 2 combo guards, we only have one in Porter. We don’t know how Porter will respond to different coaching/system. I personally think he is ready. Porter has to know this is broken and wants to be better. Porter seem to put in work because he has improved so much. Porter come a long way. This shouldn’t be the end just a transaction to better things.

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you think it's a one or the other scenario?

That's a bit short sighted don't you think?

Having a competent passer who can create shots for him doesn't mean he stops creating shots for others, it just means his game is more unlocked and the team as a whole benefits from that.

When you have an elite catch and shoot player, you should find ways to use it. The goal was for Green to develop into more of a combo guard do he could do it, but if you get a Henderson or Harden you have a MUCH better person to do the same thing.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Booby with the sht take of wanting green to come off the bench once more. Green is the superior scorer, u don't bench the better scorer.

Only an idiot would keep pushing for this idea.
    [​IMG]

OremLK and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have said since the day we drafted Green that he and KPJ are the same player, score first players - and that one will eventually have to go, I think that is coming up unless KPJ stays at PG, so now if you are the org, whom do you keep?

KPJ is better than Green across the board, but Green is 1 year younger - KPJ will be less money overall - but Green is a much better risk as far as mental health goes.

And if we get Jaylen Brown, the Celts will probably want Green and if that is the case, he goes.

Point being that anyone on the roster might go, including my beloved KPJ - so we shouldn't get attached to any player, and hope the org navigates this important offseason correctly.

DD

#112 DaDakota, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

here’s my thought, assuming Cs don’t win it all they will be running it back with essentially the same roster and huge tax bill. Let’s just say Smart - Tate (who fills a need while Brogdan, White Pritchard move up minutes sans MS) + Clips pick. Cs get @10-11 mil TE as well as that cap relief. They might well be able to acquire a 4/5 within that $.

Their overall roster improves & they save tax money.

This is the ‘type’ deal I am hoping for this summer. A good player on a roster that is glutted with salaries.

14. Ancient Moabite

Green said this from day one that he and KPJ play basically same style/way, and based on your comparison outlook on the two the Celtics would want the better player being they are basically the same age

15. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

In the longterm, TyTy would be nice but if we want to start winning earlier.. hhmmm. Well if you wanta vet like Lowry. How about JOHN WALL!

I do actually wonder how this team would have gone with Wall starting last year instead of KPJ. Would he have single-handedly fixed our culture? He's no CP3 but he could have maximised Jalen's potential and give Sengun easier looks.

16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I like KPJ, but he is absolutely not better at scoring than Green, especially when plays break down. Green has shown a rapidly increasing ability to force his way to the line against anyone, which is the most consistent and efficient way to get points against a good defense. KPJ is a better shooter, but good defenses can take that away more easily than a strong drive to the lane by a lightening quick player. The latter skill is more valuable than anything KPJ brings.

On every other dimension, yes, KPJ is better at the moment.

OremLK likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

See, this is what it ultimately comes back to. KPJ stans largely acknowledge he's not a good enough playmaker to be our point guard when pushed up to it, but instead of admitting maybe their guy doesn't have a clear starting role on their team, they want to bench Green, a player with legitimate superstar potential, in favor of a guy with little to no upside who is averaging 19 points and 6 assists on mediocre efficiency, at the end of his 4th year in the NBA, who has made minor improvements to his game during that time at best.

That is dumb, and I'm really glad none of y'all are anywhere near the decisionmaking for this team. No front office in the NBA would bench Green for KPJ. None of them.

It's not even about who the best player is right now. It's about who projects to be the better player in the future. And that one isn't even remotely close.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Totally different situation. There's no star scorer on the Raptors, Siakam is maybe their best scorer.

FVV's FG% has been low and that's the only thing wrong with his game. Despite that it hasn't prevented his team from exceeding expectations when he's on the floor.

He's the type of players that should play with star scorers on offense and not get this many shots. He should be open more often but they're built like more of a defensive team. On a team where he's helping Green and Sengun flourish, he can reduce his shot difficulty tremendously. Those two will improve anyway and a good floor general would lift them further.

He's not my top option especially at $30m but it would be an error to pay too much attention to his FG% on a team where scoring is more balanced.

If Jalen Green improves, they don't have something like that in Toronto. If Sengun becomes respectable from 3pt range, he will be a more efficient go-to scorer than their best. It would be a decent fit. I'd consider it at $25m over Harden for $45m. FVV is good at all the things we want to teach the kids and bad at everything they're good at. I think that's called a good fit.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How about Dinwiddie? Checks a few boxes for this young team.

BaselineFade and Corrosion like this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

1) Green is a lot closer to two years younger than one year, which is a big difference this early in their careers.

2) That would be stupid to give up Green for Brown. While Brown is a really nice, top 30 ish player, Green's ceiling may still be higher than that. I really hope the Rockets wouldn't consider that.

AroundTheWorld likes this.