1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-29] TyTy Washington Jr., PG, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of TyTy Washington?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

94.8%
  2. NO

5.2%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

His floaters were so heavily hyped to us, but I don't think he made even two of them all season long. He also shot poorly from 3 despite so often being wide open.

I'm not out on him but I'm not sold on him being a positive contributor in the NBA, much less a core piece and/or starter.

I hope he has a good off-season and a strong summer league and preseason. It won't be enough to sell me on him, but if he has a poor summer league and poor preseason then that might be enough to make me fully out on him.

MrButtocks and SamFisher like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

“It is very possible that when the dust settles after the offseason, the only PGs you have left on your roster are KPJ and Nix, while other parts of your roster are vastly improved”

Pretty sure that’s a great way to continue sucking as a franchise.

AroundTheWorld and Little Bit like this.
  3. a time to chill

If Stone is going to put together a competitive roster next year, there's a high probability that TyTy is going to be packaged in a trade. If he couldn't crack the rotation this year, I don't see him getting any minutes next year when we are supposed to add vets and a couple of more first-round picks to the roster. Same goes for Josh Christopher as well. I think those two are the most likely to be traded in the offseason.

Gimmmethemike and Corrosion like this.
  4. AggieRocketFan96

I’m sure what I’m about to post has already been articulated by many but I’m too lazy to sift through old posts about this.

Bottomline- TyTy appears to have far more potential than Nix as an NBA player from what I’ve seen. Of course you could probably say that for any other no-name PG prospect when compared to Nix.

Most concerning about Nix is his attitude. There should be no tolerance for it in the NBA. Absolutely unplayable even for a team trying to tank because his attitude is something that can produce an undesirable long term negative impact beyond the time this organization wants to tank (although I’m not certain they are purposely doing this- there are massive coaching and player buy-in issues here some of which maybe tied to keeping Nix on the roster).

carl_herrera, AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1. It is only dumb according to your logic of development.
    2. The whole point is to refute the notion that playing Nix over TyTy was an intentional tanking strategy. I agree that TyTy as a rookie would not help the team win. So it doesn't really fit the tanking narrative. If you believe Nix has better reasons to be playing in front of TyTy in the depth chart, then I am not going to argue with you.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Nix should not be in front of TyTy. Nix is undrafted and has proven to suck. I understand giving Nix a shot to start the year, but once he cemented himself as a bum there's no reason why we shouldn't have thrown TyTy into the fire to see what we have. Especially if we're tanking. He's a first rounder!

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, it's not like Nix is even some veteran presence. He's just an undrafted kid who hasn't ever shown anything in the NBA. I don't know what they're seeing in practices from Nix, but whatever it is clearly isn't translating. Time to move on.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not at all.

A scenario could happen might be we draft any of the Non PGs, Wemby, Ausar, Walker, etc. And then maybe an opportunity arises where we can trade up from the Clippers pick or another pick outright which requires JC and TyTy in the trade. And then with free agency maybe they just take bad money back, like Tobias Harris, for a future pick.

In that scenario, the franchise has taken a step forward, asset wise, and only two PGs remain. Its called hedging. And it is a reasonable approach if people evaluate things objectively and not from their feelings.

ramotadab likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, its a stupid question with an obvious answer.

You are better than that.

11. Rockets34Legend

TyTy - giving us a preview of being the future Rockets PG by leading the Vipers in the playoffs (if we get Wemby or lose out on Wemby or Scoot).

Vipers up by 3 right now.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Could TyTy beat Caitlin Clark in a game of 1v1?

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wonder how much TyTy's success in the G-League versus his struggles in the NBA have to do with good coaching at the Vipers versus trash fire coaching for the Rockets. Obviously the NBA is a whole different level of competition, but it's hard for me to believe a guy could be so dominant down there and just be completely useless at the NBA level if there wasn't something else going on.

Maybe somebody who's watched those games can clue me in--is the offensive system being run there dramatically different from what the Rockets are doing?

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say he is "completely useless" at the NBA level. Scoring is much harder in the NBA because G-leaguers don't play defense. (Watch how easy it is for him to get to the basket or do his little floaters in the g-league and not in the NBA. This is why for scoring, g-league PT is pretty meaningless. You might as well sit on the bench and watch how NBA teams play defense.) But he has shown that he understands the game and he takes care of the ball better than anyone else on the team. The "rep" he needs is not scoring a bunch against g-league teams but how to run an offense against NBA level defenses.

Stashing TyTy in the g-league and playing Nix inconsistent back up minutes in the NBA is a disservice to both guys in terms of development.

Losmi_34, OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe he needs the confidence boost of the G league and extended playing time.

For all rhe talk about Daishen Nix stealing his minutes, Daishen in the last week played 11, 6, and 6 minutes.

That's probably less than Washington gets in a single g league game

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You don't really need to watch the games. Look at all the other G League players that ball in the G League but don't really do anything in the NBA. Every year there's somebody on the Vipers that puts up crazy stats. People here are talking about Ty Ty, but don't even mention Darius Days who averages a 20 pt, double-double, was Player of the Month, and is #2 in scoring in the entire league. There's been a history of players that are HOF-material down there that don't really do much in the NBA like Andrew Goudelock, Trevelin Queen, Daishen Nix, etc. In some cases they're good in the NBA, in other cases, they're not. The way I look at it, just because you're great in the G-League doesn't mean you'll be even good in the NBA, but if you're bad in the G-League, you may have reason to worry. But that's true of everybody in the G-League. Look at the league leaders, and you know most of those dudes will never sniff the NBA or come close to being a regular rotation player. Of the current players that see time on the Rockets' bench and have gone down there recently, Ty Ty and Josh looked all-world down there. Trevor Hudgins hasn't looked like the gunner he was in college - at least not yet and has looked like crap in the NBA which doesn't bode well for him.

The more interesting thing is how the Vipers continuously put out good teams that compete for the playoffs/championship no matter who they throw in there as a coach or GM. For coaches, Nurse, Brase, Blair, Abdelfattah, Burleson, Finch ... they were all at some point competing for a championship or winning it down there. As an organization, they do well. Like this year, even though RGV didn't really have an exceptional season, but they got hot at the right time (and added Ty Ty!). I'm sure the organization, as a whole, had something to do with that.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't even know what Nix's purpose was lately. Usually the 10th-12th guy are garbage time players. You play them at the last few minutes of the game when the result has been decided. Nix plays in the meaningful minutes for a short time and then never comes back, not even in garbage time.

anyway, I guess my point was, players who dominate the G-league as scorers don't really learn anything there. It's like street ball. If you have some offensive talent, you get your numbers with little resistance.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I guess.

Everybody on the board for the last few years has been hypersensitive about their guy (be it Green, Sengun, Garuba, Smith Jr, Washington whoever) and his minutes to microscopic degrees. Would these have been the 22 minutes that would have saved Washington's NBA future? If Jabari Smith Jr had checked in at 8:03 and not 6:33 would that have made a difference?

The answer to almost all of these questions is probably an unequivocal no. The Rockets probelm isn't minutes, it's that the players stink and extra minutes here or there aren't all that likely to hasten the unstink, because the players, even the good ones, are simply not good enough.