1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anyone else go to velocity tonight?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket Fan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I was just curious if anyone else made it out to velocity sports tonight? Figured at least one of you might have and might thave heard the explanation for what happened...

I like to collect things and had a nice matted autographed Jeff Kent pic recently that turned out looking good so I decided I'd do the same for David Carr.. I like classy looking sports memorbilia on the wall...

So I drove all the way to the galleria to buy the matted photo today.. then all the way down highway 6 out towards sugarland because carr and a few others were supposed to be there.. but carr was the one I wanted...

Event was supposed to be from 5-7.. get there and it turns out the Carr signing is from 6-7.. so myself and several hundred people wait... and wait and wait (in the hot sun).. I got there like at 345ish.. the other athletes show up but most are waiting on carr.. then around 630 the announcement comes that.. carr will not be coming because of a prior engagement....

So now I'm pretty mad.. I wasted money on stuff for him to sign that I can't return.... wasted gas.. and wasted my entire afternoon and evening...

I'm posting to see if anyone might have heard a better reason of why he didn't show up because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.. but this has me mad....

I don't expect players to sign in public etc etc.. that's their option.. but I certainly expect them to sign if they have a signing...

I don't know if it was Velocity's fault or Davids fault or what.. but I don't know how on earth you can have a prior engagement but yet its advertised on the radio all week you will be there...

since 610 was out there.. maybe chance or someone knows?

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

this isn't meant to bash david ... Just thinking there has to be some good explanation that someone here might have heard that hung around longer...

Whenever you are dealing with these type things there is always a chance the athlete won't show up.. but surely it cant' be a case of just skipping out on something.. when the signing is for your fellow teammate...

the prior engagement thing just makes absolutely no sense to me though

3. mtweaze

mtweaze Member

i feel your pain, i got out there around 4:30 and stayed around until 6:30.

i wasn't expecting anything so it wasn't a big deal that carr never showed up...

people in line were saying david doesn't really like to sign that much.. and there were tons of people there, so maybe he was just scared off? i'm not sure, i've never been into the whole autograph thing so i don't know.

i did want to give props to kailee wong, steve mckinney and dominick davis for staying a half an hour extra to sign, myself and everyone near me in the line i'm sure appreciated it.

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

mtweaze.. yeah thats the thing.. I didnt even get davis or wong though because I was one of the people who started forming a seperate line so we'd be near the front when carr came....

I just wish they'd have informed us before 630... and I know he doesn't really seem to like to sign that much that's why I went to this thing i said... "it's his teammates gym.. (steve mckinney)... surely he wouldn't not show up for his teammate...

oh well.. I'm not someone who expects people to sign.. but when you have a signing you are obligated... if you don't want to sign then don't agree to a signing....

he showed up for that signing that every person had to pay at

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

mtweaze... Kailee is a really nice guy.. so him staying late doesn't surprise me... davis seems to be as well .. and mckinney....

at least they gave out free food.. I was in line so didn't get any of it.. but those were some big turkey legs etc

6. mtweaze

mtweaze Member

yeah i didn't get any food either...

i didn't find out about the other line until i was up near the door, so i decided to take a chance and try to get at least the 3 guys' autographs.

yeah, kailee definitely seemed the nicest out of the three, he was still cheerful after an hour and a half of signing and taking pics

i agree with both of you guys.. if you have a committment to sign, then do it - dont' back out... these are the people that support you.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

David was on 610 this morning saying that when Steve called him asking to come out for the opening, he told him he'd be in Tahoe, but he would try to make it. Steve went ahead and told everybody he would be there.... that's according to David at least.

I drove by, but there seemed to be too many people for my liking especially since I was getting off of work and didnt' want to wait in the heat in my dress clothes.

Anyway, my experience with Carr was really positive. I met him at the First Colony mall the summer before his first season and he talked with me for a good 5 minutes.

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

desihooper.. good.. I didn't want to pass judgement until I heard the whole story..

if that's the case.. then it really irritates me that they would have people stand out there for hours before informing them that david was not coming..

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

sorry about the double post.. it mainly irritates me because many of those people went out and bought stuff to be signed..

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

ah I will contribute soon. didn't see the end of desi's post..

I've had decent experiences with him.. he doesn't always sign if there are a lot of people... and I think he is in no way obligated too so I'd never fault them for not signing on their own free time..

I got to meet him last year in Nashville when they were playing the titans at the team hotel.. and he was a cool guy.. allowed me to get a pic with him etc.. that's why I wanted to know the full story because david doesnt seem like a guy who would just stand his teammate up..

thanks for passing the info along!

11. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

FWIW David's agent was rather upset about it being said that he "would" be there as opposed to the proper "scheduled" to be there.

It was piss poor communication between Steve and David, but given this was the grand opening of a venture that is primarily Steve's (hes' the operating manager, David is just a co-financier) it is an understandable mistake. It is my understandint that something will be done to make up for the mishap during a training camp off day but I have nothing official as of yet.

I hope that helps.

Chance