1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Took Stingley over Gardner and Thibodeaux, which, early returns, is not looking good. And traded back at 15, passing on Jordan Davis or Kyle Hamilton. Pierce was a nice pick - but RB is perhaps the least essential position in a long rebuild - and, IIRC, he traded picks to get him (?).

Phillyrocket, Nook and justtxyank like this.
  2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I need more @Nook in my life!
    (1) Thinks like me
    (2) Pulls no punches

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wanted Gardner as well, but I think Stingley will still turn out to be a good pick in the right system. If you are going to run a RB heavy offense, which the Texans were going to do and what I see them running this year, Pierce was a great pick. I haven’t seen too many folks second guessing the pick of Pierce.

UTSA2step, cbass and Sooty like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not writing off Stingley or Green after 1 year, but to give Caserio a good grade on that draft is weird to me. Incomplete.

Stingley was an ok rookie, nothing impressive and he was hurt. Players taken right after him, including the same position!, were all pro elite level players as rookies. So best case is incomplete, worst case is an F. Green was awful, but hey, rookie. Again, best case incomplete, worst case F.

Pierce was a good rookie for a small sample size at the least easiest position on the field to fill.

It's fine to say incomplete on Caserio, but being excited about last year's draft means you are letting your speculation on the future do all of the lifting.

jch1911, Red.Glare and Nook like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I didn’t like the return for Cooks. In fact, if it wasn’t for the cap space, I would have kept him for another good target for our new QB and possibly get a comp pick next year when he signs. I just think we don’t know the full story and maybe the cap hit was the reason. He’s still a good wr.

Nook likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I love @Nook and all his info and takes but he also said no top candidate would be interested in coaching this dumpster fire franchise and yet we hired the top candidate on the market and recent polls amongst league players voted the Texans top 5 organization in several areas.

UTSA2step and Nook like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Fans are always the harshest critics. The Texans presented a host of problems, no doubt - but they also had a lot of things going for them: blank roster; draft capital; cap space; likely - based on last two hires - a longer HC rope...

raining threes, Sooty and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Hey Now!

Who knew what offense they were going to run? Caserio's coaching searches have been disasters.

No one is upset by the Pierce pick - it's just that, again, RB is the least essential position in a rebuild. So, cool they snagged a seemingly good one... likely, by the time the team is good, he'll have 2-3 years of wear and tear on his tires. It wasn't a smart allocation of resources *in 2022.*

9. conquistador#11

He said that before or after Easterby was fired? No one with legit credibility coaches this team having to deal with that. Lovie pushing Easterby out of the sidelines was the push.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Exactly. If we're giving a grade after one year for Caserio's '22 draft class - which we absolutely should *not* do - then it is a... C-? Maybe lower because he whiffed on the two seemingly most important picks & his 2nd second round pick didn't play a down (not Caserio's fault - but, again... if I'm going to look at it as a results-driven exercise...) He's - *right now* - 1-4 on his four top 44 picks. That's baaaaaaaaad.

justtxyank and Nook like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

In 2022 is key. When you are re-building a lot more goes into it than immediate return. Same with Rockets and even Astros. GM’s need to always be looking at today and the next few years. Fans are impatient and being 65 I get it. I should be a lot more impatient since I could croak any day, but being an executive for most of my adult life and now running 4 restaurant/bars strategic reasoning and patience when patience is necessary is usually a good formula.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

That is true, I did say I didn't believe any of the top candidates would want to work with the Texans and I was wrong. Was Ryans the top candidate on the market? Not sure about that, but he was clearly one of the top for sure.

As far as the Texans being a top organization with players, I certainly don't believe that is the case with Easterby there and the conveyor belt of head coaches they went through. Has that changed? We will have to wait and see, but the Texans for the last handful of years have been an absolute dumpster fire, dysfunctional and incompetent. Numerous players have pointed it out as well.

No one bats 1.000% on their opinions, and that includes me - I have been wrong my fair share of times.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

An underrated point. Happy with Pierce, not knocking the pick, but chances are he isn't even a part of the next good Texans team. Hitting on the CB and the OL you took are way more important. One of them needs to be a decade type stud.

Hey Now! and raining threes like this.
  14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Option Texans should consider? As much as I love the TE's in this draft our offensive weapons are so depleted post-Cooks deal for a rookie QB I'm hoping the Texans aren't forced to reach on playmakers just to put a competent group around him.

raining threes and Fullcourt like this.
  15. Qan

Qan Member

Got him

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Woah

Rudyc281 and houston19519 like this.
  17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Up to $9M feels like an overpay... would have to see the parameters of the deal

18. SinceEverSince

9 mil an over pay? It’s less than the franchise tag. You usually have to overpay for talent like him, and we did the opposite

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Texans grab Singletary and Schultz. They must love two QB’s or know who Carolina is picking.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Overpay? He turned down $12M/year to stay in Dallas. Fair value and maybe even a bargain! Will be a huge asset to a rookie QB.