1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I have only been contributing to this forum for about 5 years. Prior to that I lurked on here for a long time. I remember when Sampson first arrived. Football program under Herman was rolling. BB then was still only an afterthought. Now, with what Sampson has built it into, we seem set for years to come.

Hope we don't screw around and lose him and/or his son to another program. I know he has said this is his last stop but the clock is ticking and there are a lot of programs out there willing to get spend a lot of money. Coaching makes a huge difference.

At present there is not a team on the planet in any sport that I enjoy watching more than Houston Cougar basketball.

Madmanmetz and GradyMcTracy like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ha! So true. He had his share of sports suffering when he was a kid, but the Astros and Cougars have spoiled him now a bit. Rockets and Texans have served up some pain in that span lol

seemoreroyals likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sampson is 67. It's hard to imagine him making a move at this point but anything is possible I guess.

What worries is 'what's next' and 'when'. Sampson's son is in his late 30s and has rarely coached outside of his father's sphere of influence.

There's a laundry list of nepotism hires at college programs that have ended in disaster.

seemoreroyals and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Ideally Sampson does not get poached and hangs around in some sort of advisor/recruiting capacity until it is evident that Kellen has a firm grip on things. From everything I have read he is very good at spotting talent and Kellen is also the one that works with developing the bigs.

I think his son taking over after he leaves is what Sampson wants. I know it is what many others, myself included, would like to see. After the incredible job Sampson has done rebuilding our basketball program it is the least we can do. I share your nepotism concerns, but in this case it would seem to be beneficial for everybody concerned going forward.

GradyMcTracy and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

it isn't. it's literally a fact KS isn't going anywhere. I passed this on a long time ago. Hes turned down countless offers from other schools and positions in the nba for years and 0 interest in anything outside this program. that's not changing

GradyMcTracy and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I laughed when I saw some clickbait article from some rando UT fansite a few days ago: "Kelvin Sampson not interested in UT job"

No ****, and I'm about 100% sure UT knew that.

seemoreroyals and YOLO like this.
  7. Aware

Aware Member

I think the Arkansas job might have been the last time we had to worry about Sampson potentially leaving

A better question would be does Kellen Sampson take a job elsewhere? or is he really down to wait for his pops to retiree

seemoreroyals likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yes Kellen is taking over when KS retires. How long he stays depends on how he does but make no mistake he will be the next head coach after KS. So he'll get the first crack. Kellen has had his own share of opportunities to leave.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol i randomly see twitter randos trying the "sauces say" Sampson has interest in so and so. and I just laugh also. these dudes have no clue and throw darts at the wall

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

**** TED TURNER

give me, Jim, Nance, and CBS

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We need a big tournament from Sharp!

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone know Sasser's status yet?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Why the hell do we always get these ridiculously late tips? Even playing teams in the Eastern timezone like tonight... 939PM tip... god it's hard being a Rocket/Coog fan on the east coast. The team might as well be in frickin Portland.

GradyMcTracy and seemoreroyals like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sasser is playing and starting. Blowout today

GradyMcTracy and Plowman like this.
  15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Does anybody please have a link to the game ?

Plowman likes this.
  16. GradyMcTracy

GradyMcTracy Member

Gimmmethemike likes this.
  17. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Anybody please with a UH link ?

18. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

GradyMcTracy likes this.
  19. WestendMassive

Refs are full of **** in college ball too, whodathunkit

Dude slid under the Houston player after he jumped and they call it a charge. Get in the bin