1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

About Last Night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Mar 14, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

With KPJ, the Rockets need to decide how they want to play and who they want to play through. Both KPJ and Sengun have up and down games but they bring different styles. Sengun's style is more conducive to playing for 2's and KPJ as we saw last night is more conducive to running and playing for 3's.

Which style is best?

DaDakota likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Typical kpj stan wanting folks to choose between sengun and kpj as the main focal point on offense. Neither system is good enough to win us enough games.

Sengun system lacks a real pg to control the offense and utilize his skillset as the secondary playmaker.

Kpj system does a shtty job of impersonating Harden since he lacks the skillset of a pg.

U bring back Harden, problem is resolved on both front. Harden is skilled enough to utilize sengun post game/play making ability and he is godlike at finding open players within the silas system.

Silas is basically running the Harden system with an inferior pg in kpj.

eurobasket23 likes this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is similar to Jokic, he's the focal point of the offense, so a true PG is not needed. A backup PG, yes but not a starting PG. My only issue with Sengun is he is not a threat outside of the paint and you have to hide him on the defensive end.

I really don't think if you bring back Harden, the Rockets problems would be immediately solved. Harden is not the scorer he once was and Green is not ready to take the lead. He's too up and down. However, Jabari could be that lead player, only time will tell.

I just think Harden would turn the Rockets into a middle of the pack team, which is where no one wants to be.

KPJ is not SHITTY as a PG, actually I think hes about avg. We haven't seen his best because the Rockets dont know who they are yet. They dont have a true system.

#23 hlmbasketball, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Psst, it is not Sengun's.....

The only way Sengun stays is he gets a 3pt shot, otherwise trade him.

He is not good enough to be the focal point of an offense....he is not Jokic.

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I just think Harden would turn the Rockets into a middle of the pack team, which is where no one wants to be.
    Wrong. u don't speak for the community, folks want us to be competitive next year to avoid losing a 1st round draft pick over nothing.

Show me a kpj stan without telling me u are one. Imagine thinking KPJ is an "average pg".

If he's not shtty we wouldn't b dead last/ or near last in basically every offensive stat measured.
    https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?PerMode=PerGame

28th in Offensive rating
    28th in assist percentage
    dead last in assist/turnover ratio
    dead last in assist ratio
    dead last in turnover ratio
    dead last in EFG%
    29th in TS%

U can sure blame it on his teammates for contributing to this awful stats, but KPJ is the pg that drives the sht engine. If he was even average at pg we wouldn't b this bad

No Worries likes this.
  6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Sengun is just a mid player with bad defense, slow pace offense but flashy plays so people think hes something special. Its not surprising the team looks better when they play a modern playstyle

Salvy likes this.
  7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Where did you get this information? I thought Denver went the opposite way from the start, and traded away Nurkic in order to prioritise Jokic.

This link suggests that over the years Denver has NOT entertained trade offers for Jokic. https://hoopshype.com/storyline/nikola-jokic-trade/

Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought the Nuggets were owned by a single individual (Stanley Kroenke) for like the last 20 years.

With all due respect, it sounds like you just made up a story to justify your opinion (and to tar others with the same brush, this appears to happen with sofs.... )

8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

LOOOL look at this fanboy

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, I don't think KPJ is bad nor is Sengun. I dont think either is a super star by no means. However, I think Sengun's problems arrive from lack of a 3pt shot and his lack of lateral foot quickness.

One of the reasons why our defense was so good last night, was because of our ability to switch on defense. Playing Jabari at the Center position was the difference.

I think everybody can agree that KPJ has all of the tools; playmaking, length and shooting. His problems are upstairs! In his head. He either needs a more stringent coach or a more experienced PG to help him learn the position.

10. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Oh snap!

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Where's the Kevin Porter Jr. Apology Form? I want to sign it. ;)

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

trouble maker

Easy and burlesk like this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Got a chuckle out of me

Easy likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What is your timeline to Championship Contention?
    3 yrs? Then get Harden if you can
    5+ yrs? Try something else

Next year we SHOULD be fighting for the play in . . at worse

Rocket River

hlmbasketball likes this.
  15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ does not have ANY elite talent. KPJ is not a future point guard or a wing for this team. He has no future with this team only as a 6th Man. At point guard, it is either Scoot Henderson, Harden or Van Vleet. At SF, we need a wing that can shoot like Cam Johnson or Bridges from the Nets. Jabari looks solid for now but he needs a passer to help him set up his shot. Sengun at the low block, demands a double team against other teams and leaves a man open at the 3 point line. KPJ is not a team player, he is injury prone and not a professional player but immature. No….no new coach is going to allow KPJ’s 6th Man. Sengun need to develop his outside shot in the off-season, get stronger and more effort on defense. We need a legit point guard and legit outside shooters(40% plus) at the 3 point line.

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ does not have ANY elite talent. KPJ is not a future point guard or a wing for this team. He has no future with this team only as a 6th Man. At point guard, it is either Scoot Henderson, Harden or Van Vleet. At SF, we need a wing that can shoot like Cam Johnson or Bridges from the Nets. Jabari looks solid for now but he needs a passer to help him set up his shot. Sengun at the low block, demands a double team against other teams and leaves a man open at the 3 point line. KPJ is not a team player, he is injury prone and not a professional player but immature. No….no new coach is going to allow KPJ’s behavior. Sengun need to develop his outside shot in the off-season, get stronger and more effort on defense. We need a legit point guard and legit outside shooters(40% plus) at the 3 point line.

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think w/o Harden next yr, we should be battling for a Play-in game. The following yr, we should be in the playoffs.

Everything depends on the next Head Coach, Free Agency and the draft.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. With Harden we should be battling for 6th
    With/out definitely Play In at worse

Rocket River

19. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

A lot of truth in the OP, but KPJ has no future as our PG. When he’s having a good playmaking night it really shows, but he’s way too erratic. He doesn’t project to be a consistently good playmaker.

Sengun would have to be an MVP level offensive player to offset his defensive liabilities. But you still have to give him a few more years. He has some nights where he looks really special. But overall, skeptical he can lead an elite nba team. I think you have to play both ways. Give Jabari at least 12-14 mins at C. Would also help Sengun get more opportunities with the 2nd unit.