1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Shaq's nickname?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bob718, Jul 24, 2004.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Sorry to start a thread about this, but I really don't know what shaq's nickname is.
    I am in china, people here usually call him "big shark" or "fat O".
    How do american fans call him? Do you call him "shark'?

and a few other things I need help:
    is Shawn Kemp a "reign man" or "rain man"?
    Does Kobe have a nickname?
    Kevin Garnett's nickname in china is "the king of wolves', I have heard that people in US call him "the big ticket", what does it mean?
    What is Tim Duncan's nickname?
    What is Patrick Ewing's nickname?

btw, Ewing's nickname in china is Gorrila, but i guess he won't like it:p

#1 bob718, Jul 24, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Shaq has more nicknames than you can count. No one here calls him "big shark" or "fat O" though. A few are "Shaq Diesel," "The Big Aristotle," and "Shaq Daddy."

Shawn Kemp's nickname is "Reign Man."

Kobe has no nickname that I know of.

"Big Ticket" is a reference to Garnett being something special that you'd pay big to see. He also used to be called "Da Kid."

Tim Duncan's nickname is "The Big Fundamental."

Patrick Ewing didn't have a nickname that I know of.

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

"I'll take 'The Rapists' for $100 Alex."

God bless SNL's Celebrity Jeapordy.

I was gonna make a joke out of his Gold Club testimony, but it's too hard to just pick one line from that. Damn.

4. WLH

WLH Member

I guess you call Ewing the big gorilla because he is about as ugly as a gorilla, pretty good. I have no idea why you call Shaq the Fat 0. The guy has pretty much proved himself not to be a zero. Also, we don't call him shark, like the fish, but Shaq, short for Shaquille, his first name.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Dude, it's fat "O" (pronounced "oh") as in the letter that begins "O'Neal," not "0" (pronounced "zero"), the number that comes before one. Chill out.

6. WLH

WLH Member

Alright, well the o as in oh makes sense. My bad. I still think the gorilla thing for Ewing is good.

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I think the most personable people get nick-names, you know the ones that people can endear themselves too.

Kobe doesnt relate to people.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Garnett is also often referred to as KG. And the Diesel is probably Shaq's most popular nick, aside from the obvious "Shaq". Best Nickname in Basketball is definitely Paul Pierce with, "The Truth".

9. oniichan

oniichan Member

paul pierce's - the truth

Steve Francis - the franchise

Garnett - KG, the big ticket, da kid

Kobe Bryant was dubbed Lord of the Rings at Rucker but i dunno if they call him that, doubt it.

Baron Davis - Two easy, or Big easy or something like that.

Tim Duncan is the big fundamental

Yao - the dynasty, great wall

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

for shaq- The Diesel, The Daddy, or Shaq Diesel and Shaq Daddy, Shaq Fu (rarely used), and The Big Aristotle. a few other The Big (insert name) ones that aren't used also.

you know, as much as i don't like shaq sometimes, he does have some great nicknames and better yet, he makes most of them up and gets them to stick. the big aristotle still cracks me up b/c it's just so from out of left field, definitely farther away than biggio can get to. and yet it stuck.

hell, shaq even gets to make up nicknames for other people like naming duncan the big fundamental.

you don't get personalities like shaq very often.

11. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

One thing I have to say is, call shaq "Fat O" in china doesn't mean anything disrespectful to him. Actually most fans respect him as a person very much. "Fat" in chinese is not a bad word. (lots of chinese girls usually call their boyfriends little fat pig...) some chinese fans just see shaq as a lovely big kid, who has a great personality for always being frank.

And Ewing got the nickname gorrila not just because he is a little ugly, but mainly because he always looks so strong and aggressive, like a beast, on the court...

12. munco

munco Member

I view Shaq being the Fat O as basically calling Shaq a "Fatso". That's close.

My favorite Shaq nickname is Kazam for his starring role in that horrible attempt at a movie.

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

kobe's nickname is...

kobe "did you have any say-so in phil's termination or the trade of shaq. no." bryant

the nickname was too long so they call him kobe "dyhasiptottosn" bryant... or kobe "bullschit" bryant for short.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I thought Big Ticket was because of that huge, record breaking, cap killing contract he signed.

Kobe's nickname for the past year or so has been the Rapist.

15. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

I thought Kobe's nickname was "BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"?

16. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Or "No means No!".

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

He even gave Paul Pierce his nickname. And I never liked Shaq either, because the year he came into the league I knew a guy that absolutely fawned all over him. I'm talking about a legitimate man-crush here. He rode Shaq's jock so much that I just started despising Shaq.

Of course now adays I do have respect for Shaq because he has improved his game (he's not JUST all power, he does have lowpost moves), became a dominant champion, and has one of the most interesting personalities in NBA history.

#17 m_cable, Jul 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember when Alvin Franklin was playing for UH. His nick name was "the penetrator". Since he is not using that anymore, maye Kobe could use it.

19. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I know that some Laker fans call him "Snaq".

LOL

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Shaq *is* a nickname. His real name is Shaquille.