1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jabari's floor is higher than Ariza simply by virtue of his size. He's already a better rebounder as a rookie than Trevor was in any year of his career. All it will take is a small step forward with Jabari's shooting (which we might already be seeing happen) and he'll already be a significantly more valuable player.

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I was surprise the Bulls started to double him. Wow, if Jabari can keep his confidence up and Silas let Sengun play more this can be a dangerous team. Teams usually double Sengun or Jalen in the game but if Jabari play like he did in Auburn….we just need Van Vleet at point guard and Wemby or Amen we are ready to go

i3artow i3aller and eurobasket23 like this.
  3. varughese.arun

Certainly Don't think he is a bust. But he needs to make proper strides. His 3 ball is already looking better. He sometimes shoots like his feet are stuck to the ground and doesnt shoot at the peak of his jump. He tries to compensate the flawed foot work with his release.

4. varughese.arun

Certainly Don't think he is a bust. But he needs to make proper strides. His 3 ball is already looking better. He sometimes shoots like his feet are stuck to the ground and doesnt shoot at the peak of his jump. He tries to compensate the flawed foot work with his release.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And neither are they Lazarus Aldridge (7 time all syar) PLUS a 40% 3point shot

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So every 3rd pick in the draft needs to be significantly better than a 7 time all-star?!?!? Wow...

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

This feels like an alt account to me
    [​IMG]

BigMaloe, Arnel, TAB and 7 others like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For sure, Trevor is up there not because of his lack of talent, he is actually well liked character.

No way a 3rd overall pick should be compared to a journeyman if there are no serious issues.

They are nothing alike.

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

No let’s hope our third pick turns into a role player. Lmao

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Are you able to grasp that there is an enormously vast gulf between role player and all-time great?

You've basically set all-time great as your minimum expectation. This is what I am (far too subversively) trying to point out to you....

I hope Smith plays at least 2 all-star games. I would be happy with that. But that is a far inferior player to LMA with a 40% 3 point shot... but still a happy return from a 3 pick. And it isn't a bare minimum expectation....

12. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

New School shot mechanics are all about releasing the ball on the way up. Releasing at the apex of the jump is good for mid-range shooting, where shooting over the defender matters more, but you need that force from the jump put into the shot so your arms and hands don't impart too much force, which makes "touch" very hard to achieve.

Big guys especially don't need to jump that much, I remember guys like Yao and other big C's shooting "Jumpers" where their toes never left the ground.

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

What are you on about? I said all Jabari has to do is be LMA with a 40% 3. How is that setting my minimum expectation? That’s what I want him to become. A master of a few simple things instead of trying to become someone who you can just throw the ball to at half court and ask them to create.

You can set low expectations for your 3rd picks. I can set high expectations. This might shock you but both are ok.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

People can set their expectations wherever they want, but they need to understand that if they're expecting a franchise player outside the first pick, or maybe the first two picks in some drafts, they're setting themselves up for frustration and disappointment. If you want to be frustrated and disappointed more power to you I guess. But the median #3 pick is somewhere around "good starter for a lot of years, sneaks into an all-star game or two".

That's not to say it's impossible to find a superstar with the #3 pick, clearly it happens, and it happens a lot more often than with like, the #15 pick or whatever. The odds just aren't that high.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

#3 picks off top my head: mj, luka, harden, tatum, pau, embiid, jaylen, melo

lot of busts too, but stars aplenty

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I went over the last 20 years of #3 picks the other day because I was curious, and I found that about 15% of them turned out to be superstars, with close to half of all #3 picks making at least two all-star games. Of the other 50-60%, most of them were at least good rotation players, while a small number were complete busts.

So, that's what I mean when I say median, if you look at around the 50% mark you'll find guys who were good starters in the league and probably made an all-star game or two. I'd say then that's about the expected outcome for #3, and doing any better than that is a really successful pick, and doing worse than that is a disappointment (ranging from mild disappointment to total bust).

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He surely is no KD because KD had that effortlessness in his steps and moves.

Maybe Sheed but man was sheed rugged and known goofball.

[​IMG]

18. eurobasket23

eurobasket23 Member

today vs. celtics
    jabari will make
    25+ pts
    10+rebs

Arnel and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

His handling and interior finishing were his biggest weaknesses coming into the NBA and he's already shown huge strides in both areas to where they are now useful at the NBA level. I would say he has been making proper strides already.

varughese.arun likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I don't see KD. Not enough ball-handling/footwork skills. IMO his floor is somewhere around prime Channing Frye with better defense, and his absolute ceiling if he maximizes everything is Chris Bosh after he developed a 3P shot.