1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Benson slams Mack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Baqui99, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Benson slams Mack Brown

Yesterday was Texas' turn at the Big 12 media day. As usual, another humilation for the laughingstock of college football, Mack Brown. Cedric talks about players not buying into the "aura" of Mack. Well, no sh*t. The yellowtoothed clapper has about as much of an aura as a used car salesman.

This year will be another tease for Horn fans, IMO. As long as Mack and Greg Davis are running things, nothing will change. We'll keep having 10-win seasons, but losing the big one to OU. Hell, maybe we might even get an at large BCS-bid, which we'll proceed to screw up. That, and we added the NFL's worst defensive coordinator in Greg Robinson, and a retiree in Dick Tomey. Mack Brown is a disgrace.

Benson takes shot at Mack

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Mack Brown has got an answer for everything.
    It’s just that in the last four years, the Texas coach has not come up with a solution for one thing - Oklahoma.

Brown says there is no controversy
    Coaches speak at Big 12 media day

“At Texas, we’ve probably done as good a job as anybody in the country except those four games,” Brown said during Tuesday’s session at Big 12 media days. “Now that we’ve lost to them four times in a row, it has gotten huge. But it’s really not about me.”

Or is it?

Texas fans won’t tolerate too many losses from their head coach, and even his team’s faith may be slipping.

Running back Cedric Benson didn’t shy away from criticizing his coach.

“He handles it and deals with it,” Benson said. “I’m really not too fond of how Mack deals with it.”

The emphasis and pressure of beating Oklahoma, coupled with other factors, has sent an undercurrent of negative emotions through the Longhorn program, according to Benson.

“My focus the past four years has been capitalizing on my job and doing what I’m asked to do on the field,” Benson said. “I try not to get into too much of the negative things that might float around in the team because it can kind of take away ... it can take away from the team.”

Brown is 59-18 in his six years at UT. “At our place, it’s only about the ones you lose,” he said. “The thing that I’ve been disappointed is I haven’t done a good job in two of four of those games.”

Neither had the defense, which is why Brown said goodbye to longtime defensive coordinator Carl Reese after last season. He brought in former Kansas City Chief assistant Greg Robinson as co-defensive coordinator and college defensive guru Dick Tomey as assistant head coach.

“(Robinson) has stressed that you need to stop the run and cause turnovers,” Brown said. “That’s what wins championships.”

It also might be helpful if the team respected what the coaching staff has been trying to do.

“A lot of (the losses to OU) has to do with the players, personally,” Benson said. “They are probably not buying into the whole scheme of things, the whole aura of what Mack and the coaching staff is trying to bring. Guys have their own opinions about things and things like that and sometimes it can affect how much they put out on the field.”

That much has been obvious to just about everyone who has watched the Red River Shootout the past four years. It’s also been obvious to those involved in the game.

“The thing with Texas is, if we ever get them down, we just try to keep pushing and pour points on. Salt on the wound,” said Oklahoma defensive end Dan Cody. “For whatever reason, it feels that way in the games when Coach (Bob) Stoops has been there. It’s nothing special that we’re doing.”

One thing Brown has done is continually give credit to Oklahoma. He was at it again Thursday, passing out platitudes while niftily avoiding his team’s deficiencies. He also continued to point out how Texas doesn’t necessarily need to beat Oklahoma to win the Big 12 South.

“We could’ve won the conference championship two years and not beaten OU,” Brown said.

#1 Baqui99, Jul 23, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

That's scary, that he thinks he and the coaches did a good job in the 2001 and 2002 games. Sorry, but keeping Ced on the bench, scoring three points with a future NFL QB and three future NFL WRs, and blowing a 14-3 2nd quarter lead while letting a midget running back slice through your defense on the same goddamned play is not just on the players.

Brown and the coaching staff haven't done a good job on the 2nd Saturday in October since 1999.

It occurs to me that when I passed five years of continuous service with my current employer, I got a plaque and a gift of my choosing (a pocketknife-- symbolism). I wonder if Mack will get a bonus for the fifth anniversary of his last win over OU?

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The most disappointing loss came in 2001. That was a BAD OU team, with a terrible offense. They were starting new QBs in Nate Hybl and Jason White. Our uber-conservative approach led us to only 3 fricken points. And, like you said, leaving Ced on the bench in favor of Brett Robin was and still is mind boggling.

By 2002, I think we all knew that the lead wasn't safe, and that McYellowteeth would find a way to piss it away.

4. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Greg Robinson? The same Greg Robinson who was ran out of Denver and Kansas City for not stopping the run? Robinson might work for a year or two, but it seems like his schemes wear off quickly on both his players and opposing players. I could see him pulling off a great season for you guys, but my concern if I were you is what he'll leave you with in a few years. It'll be interesting to watch the Chiefs this year because I know the Broncos jumped 15-20 spots in the defensive standings the year after he left, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Chiefs do the same.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Whoa... :eek:

6. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Ah, to see Longhorn fans suffer. Can't wait til you guys choke against Tech this year.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Translation:

"My coach is a p***y."

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What's scary is that UT allegedly had a talent advantage over OU the past 4 years. That advantage has dried up, leaving OU with better players and better coaching. Good luck, horns, you'll need it.

9. KingCheetah

How can Cedric get away with saying that? I mean after his run in with the law I figured he would have to be on his best behavior.

I think he's right, but still...

Does anyone else feel like Cedric has been playing at UT for about 10 years?

:confused:

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I'm glad Ced finally spoke up. Maybe our other stars (alum or present) will start to speak out against Mack too. I want him gone...I remember hearing someone say that a scout once said that he'd never seen anyone with so much promise coming into college as Ced Benson...he then proceeded to state that he was amazed at how badly Benson's development was r****ded due to Mack's ineptitude (can anyone verify or disclaim this statement?).

Benson has every reason to slam Mack. I just wish it were a heavier hit:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. KingCheetah

Cedric has hardly had a poor career with UT and he has another year ~ if he has a big season he could break records. I wouldn't call his development poor Imho.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Sorry, I didn't mean poor career...just that he hasn't developed up to his full potential.

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Are there any other good UT forums other than HornFans? I think the Longhorn Fan Zone is not active anymore.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Hopefully this is the year Mack is run out of town.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Go Cougar High!

17. tozai

tozai Member

I sort of wished we lost to Tech LAST year. Mack would have had even less to cling on to. It's amazing that we almost backed into a BCS game. We would have gotten our asses kicked even worse than WSU did to us.

I really think there is a good chance that Texas will lose to Tech this year. For the good of the program I actually was hoping they lost to Tech and OSU last year, but no luck. It was bad enough seeing Roy Williams wasted. It's just depressing seeing what's happening to Vince.

18. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Good lord you people are negative. They havent even played a game yet. Young was the Big 12 offensive freshmen of the year. And you say "what a shame whats happening to him?" huh? He was a FRESHMEN! I dont like Greg Davis much at all myself. But to just label him a failure is arrogant and ridiculous.

Benson's comments were inappropriate and negative I agree. But man they werent THAT bad.

Amazes me to see how bad people want UT to fail. Some people would rather see UT lose than their team win. I think UT will do fine this year. If we lose to OU ya it will be disapointing. Beats being A&M or Tech where every year nowadays seems to be "rebuilding" or just another typical 7-4 season w/ an upset now n then.

As for Greg Robinson correct me if I'm wrong but was he not the D coordinator on one of Denver's super bowl teams? And have you seen the personnel at Kansas City on D? Besides Fujita their players simply are nothing great on Defense.

Get over yourselves UT Bashers.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't see anything substantive in this article. Benson's comment seemed weird and I'd like to see more context. Benson's a p***y, btw. Development? Just freaking run the ball, is all he has to do.

20. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I already addressed this point.

If you're relying on Robinson to make a miraculous recovery, you're asking for a miracle. Robinson's defenses that won super bowls were the two statistically worst super bowl teams EVER against the run. Without an offense that could put up 30 without breaking a sweat, we wouldn't have won ****.