1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Losing a dog

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ElPigto, Mar 6, 2023.

1. conquistador#11

Cute dog. Losing your shadow can be one of the toughest and most heartbreaking things. They're almost like kids.
    Why don't you wait until he lets you know. They will let you know.

My 17 yr old dog passed away 2 weeks ago. He lost use of his back legs summer of 2021 but he still looked forward to cruising in the garden wagon /wheel chair. But on the first of his final 4 days his front legs also went out, on the second day it was non stop barking and teary eyes and didn't eat, third day they scheduled the lethal injection for Thursday 10 am, didn't eat. He passed away in my arms earlier that Thursday. Binglevet took in his body. I didn't get the ashes or any of that stuff. The memories last forever, well at least until all that happens to us. I hate father time.

I don't know how people adopt senior dogs. They're built differently. Grateful for them

#21 conquistador#11, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss man.

I did get a third opinion and opted to do the surgery for my dog. He is doing really well and rehabbing. Hoping that results on tumor come back negative but not holding my breath. I couldn't bring myself to putting him to sleep without giving him a chance. Doctor stated she was shocked how well he was doing, yet blood work showed he was really sick. She said most dogs with the results my dog had would not be walking or eating anymore. We will see what happens.

I rescued a senior dog from the streets in early December. My dog and I were walking and we ran into him and he was in pretty bad shape, you could tell no one had cared for the little guy. He was blind, could hardly walk, and was in overall not great shape. I was able to get him back to decent health, but I also took him to the vet on Monday and they diagnosed him with a heart murmur. They gave me some med and sent him home. On Thursday after work, I came home and found him dead. I felt awful, but I did my best to give him the best life possible.

It's been a rough week.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I’m glad to hear the surgery went well! If it were me, I’d have done the same thing. It looks like he still has happy days ahead.

Sending all my love and healing vibes to sweet Pappas ❤️

ElPigto likes this.
  4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Beautiful words. So sorry for your loss.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t have a dog but I have an 18 year old cat and I know the end is coming. I’m in the camp if I wouldn’t put your pet down until it was clear they were struggling. For me it’s when I see she can’t climb stairs and especially when She can’t eat.

Good to hear your pup is doing well and I hope things continue to go well.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice man, I hope everything goes good! You did the best you can on both situations.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't feel guilty on the older dog you found, I mean if you didn't take the older dog in he wouldn't have had an opportunity to go out a lot better than when you found him. I really don't understand how dog owners can abandon a dog like that near the end. Maybe this was a different situation but it doesn't sound like it. I think it's cool you were able to give him some attention rather than the dog being stuck on the streets/actually alone.

I hope your dog continues to recover and you get good news!

conquistador#11 and ElPigto like this.
  7. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Bless you man,

ElPigto likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

You're good people. Just keep doing what you're doing.

ElPigto likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Really sorry to hear about what's happened, @ElPigto. Saying there are few things better than a great dog simply doesn't do them justice.

I'm lucky enough to have had two over the course of several decades. The first, a male, I bought for ten dollars at the Pound in Houston in 1972. Half Lab and half Standard Poodle. So is the other one, the first female I've ever had, nine years old and taking a nap a few feet from me. I wish they lived a lot longer. Doesn't seem fair, does it. If it's not something like what happened to your pup, it's old age. Old age is a b****. I can testify to that.

CCity Zero and ElPigto like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

This was my sister’s dog we took in after she passed.

Rest in Peace Princess (Jewel aka JuJu) :(
    No more pain, no more suffering.
    In doggie heaven.
    Love ya, already miss ya. Man’s best friend indeed.

Heart disease/failure? (I get them mixed up)
    Fluid buildup
    No longer eating/walking/drinking
    Put her out of her misery this morning

Yesterday
    [​IMG]

Today, at the vet.
    [​IMG]

Right after she passed
    [​IMG]

I love you! I miss you! The bestest doggo! Rest in peace!

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Aww. I'm so sorry man. It sucks.

Reeko, clos4life, FrontRunner and 2 others like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss @J.R. It sure is tough losing a family member.

Reeko, IBTL, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Sorry for your loss, poor girl..... RIP Jewel, say hi to my dog Princess Leia in doggy heaven....

J.R., ElPigto and clos4life like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

We had to put a family dog down about a month ago, and it still sucks from time to time. Little guy had his best life after finding him as a stray 13 years ago :)

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sorry for your loss and IBTL.

as I said I don’t have a dog but my old cat is sitting in the couch next to me and I’ve been preparing myself that the end is getting closer.

IBTL and J.R. like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

IBTL and J.R. like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry man

IBTL and J.R. like this.
  19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'd say as long as your dog can still walk and eat showing little to no signs...then it's not time. You'll probably know when it's time. I tried to treat my dog for cancer way back when and it was an older dog. It did not go as I had hoped. I would say it didn't even extend my dog's life. And, I was out about $10k. But, I tried and that's really the only consolation I got out of it.

IBTL likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sorry JR

J.R. likes this.