1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons Podcast : Jalen Green Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, May 24, 2022.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Wasn't it a poorly kept secret that Mobley didn't want to be drafted by the Rockets?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The NBA doesn't want traditional bigs or traditional guard for that matter.

The NBA franchise player is someone that can score and also create and run an offense - with a preference towards big and strong forward sized guys. Players like LeBron, Doncic, Harden.

There are some standard size guards and some big men that are franchise type players - but just about all of them handle the ball.

3. Nook

Nook Member

He is shooting 60% on 2 pointers overall and 80% on shots within 3 feet of the basket. A lot of shots she is getting is in the 8-10 foot area of the floor and he is shooting like 40% on those shots. Those shots are harder in general, but part of it is that he isn't a really consistent shooter yet.

I am not saying he is a monster offensively right now, only that he is overall doing what they want him to do on offense. He needs to work on his shot to become what he is capable of. Of course, if his shot improves, you are looking at a guy that gets you 20/10/2/1 and is an elite defender, that is really really good and contributes a lot to winning. I don't think he will be a franchise player, in part because of his shot, but also because of the players around him, he just isn't going to be allowed to struggle and see if he figures it out.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Correct. When I said attacking guards, I really meant attacking whatever... or whatever player can facilitate the P&R, and do all the things I listed. The point is the 3 point shot is what wins games & playoff series.

Harden is kind of the poster boy for the modern NBA (even though he's often hated), and really was the player that I think made GM's and coaches a bit too narrow minded in thinking that's the only way to win.

So when I seem skeptical about Sengun as a player you can build around, it's not that I'm skeptical of his talent at all.... it's that I'm skeptical of the NBA hive mind. Maybe... Jokic & Embiid's success opens the door for more open mindedness, but I certainly don't see the Rockets & Stone as that one outlier. The KPJ/Green experience is evidence of their tunnel vision to me.

5. dobro1229

I think all we know is that he didn't want to work out for the Rockets. To be honest that really doesn't mean that much. Who you do or don't work out with is often a game that the agents play more than anything. I think was trying to go as high as he could to get the most money.

For all we know the agent could have been wanting Houston to take him #2, and thought that if he worked out for him, they'd see that he had some flaws they didn't see prior, and they might be unmovable from Jalen Green since they had so much intel on him & they knew the Rox were comfortable with him at 2. With hiding him, maybe their agent thought the mystique helped him with Houston.

Who knows. All I know is if he got drafted by the Rockets, we damn well wasn't going to refuse to come to the NBA, and instead go play in Russia. He'd be living it up eating Breakfast Klub every Sunday, musing about getting 30 minutes in the Summer with Dream, and talking about being a Rocket for life.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It actually means a lot.

Ever heard of a guy named Steve Francis?

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he doesn't explode on O then he would be vying with JJJ for DPOY in the future.

Otherwise he would be the next superstar.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. dobro1229

I have heard of Steve Francis. The Grizzlies should have kept him. That's one case with extraordinary circumstances like a player showing character issues already (something most players try not to do to for obvious reasons), and a new team in Canada not wanting to already create issues with a reputation as a terrible city to play in. If that happened now, the NBA team would have fined him if he did this after signing his contract... which no player would want.

Yeah there are cases where players like Kobe, etc. can finagle their ways to the teams they want, but only if they have leverage to stay overseas or in Kobe's case, he could have went to college if he couldn't have gotten the guarantee that he'd go to the Lakers.

Evan Mobley is not Kobe Bryant, and Mobley was not going to go back to college or play overseas just because the Rockets might draft him with the SECOND pick of the draft.

#169 dobro1229, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a flattering way to describe all protagonists.

Nook likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

It's a lot more likely that he didn't want to work out because he knew they were drafting either Jalen or Cade.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You can talk about Embiid and Jokers success, but neither of them have been out of the second round yet. Not blaming them but perhaps that’s not busting any stereotypes until they win something. Or at least make a final four.

dobro1229 likes this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Even now, players refuse to play. Why would the league have any standing to fine him? Are you trying to troll me?

14. dobro1229

lol. I was going to ask you the same thing. Dude Ben Simmons lost how many millions last season?

Evan Mobley would have played for the Rockets had he been drafted here. That's just undeniable. I don't know why you think there was a Steve Francis type of situation that was even remotely possible.

Anyways... who gives a sh$t? Houston will still be a place players want to play moving forward. I don't know why you seem to doubt that.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Instances like Simmons are rare. It's actually quite common for players to refuse to play.

Sure, Mobley would've played here had he been drafted. But there were rumors he didn't want to be drafted here. Given that, it wouldn't have made sense for the Rockets to draft him.

#175 wekko368, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  16. KazuoOda

KazuoOda New Member

If you think a big is close to his ceiling in his 2nd year, then you are crazy. Kid has mad potential. This is only the beginning

17. i3artow i3aller

#177 i3artow i3aller, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

19. i3artow i3aller

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What a catastrophy.

i3artow i3aller likes this.