1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why we should talk more about Offense and it sucks.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He looks lost on offense. I’m still not that worried. The dude is something like the 9th youngest guy in the NBA right now. It’s way too early to call him a bust. Did they take him too soon? In hindsight yeah, but it seemed like the right pick at the time. I still think he will end up being a pretty good player for a lot of years when it’s all said and done.

3. maj21

maj21 Member

He’s not NBA ready…. At All!!

Corrosion and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You got the wrong one lol. I don't hate Sengun at all, last year he was actually my profile picture.

I'm still the same guy, I just wondered why you were so ready to make excuses for Sengun while also saying that you couldn't support Jabari as if he's this horrible guy.

He's a rocket, wtf you mean you can't support him? Saying you can't support him means you don't even root for his success.

I been rooting for Sengun but i'm not going to pretend like he doesn't have defensive issues just like I don't act like Jabari is shooting lights out.

Sorry, i'm a Rockets fan, never a player only fan.

5. YaosDirtyStache

this kinda stuff man I have a hard time seeing like you do. He just doesn’t have very many talents that one day COULD be elite. What is he even good at right now on offense? Like, just good at. The problem with developing a guy like Jabari is you’re hoping he has some skills that can become elite…but to be elite at age 23, they should be AT LEAST pretty good at that skill already. You can’t take a guy as unskilled at dribbling and turn him into someone elite at dribbling. So far Jabari hasn’t proven he can shoot at an nba level, so to expect him to be a 40% 3pt guy to be consider elite, most likely not going to happen. Jabari is also not very athletic at all. His jumping ability, especially the second leap which is ultimately the most important trait for a rebounder, isn’t there and can’t be taught. He’s just not very twitchy.

to me, Jabari has no skill on offense that can be developed into an elite trait that you want out of a top 3 pick. If Jabari is producing like this from draft slot 12, I’m cool. But at 3, it seems like a bad pick.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am an advanced metrics guy but I can't support raw players who have entitlement issues.

You could roll it back, I had similar issues with Green because he is so underdeveloped in the skills and fundamentals department.

But I take polishing colorful nails over barking at teammates any day.

So nope, I am not just hating on one guy, I have been extra tough on raw players yeah.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’ll see what his jumper is next season and beyond after an offseason in the lab

all he has to do is hit these spot up threes he keeps bricking at an alarming rate, and he’ll be fine…it would be 1 thing if he came into the league with his jump shot as a major weakness, but it was his greatest strength

he is not the 1st projected good shooter to shoot poorly his rookie year

Dirk shot 21% from three as a rookie, and then 38% in year 2

Durant shot 29% from three as a rookie, and then 42% in year 2

CP3 shot 28% from three as a rookie, and then 35% in year 2

and there’s many more examples

I’m confident he’ll end up at worst a solid defender and rebounder

his midrange has shown some promise at times…he’s slowly improved as a driver to the rim

get that 3 point shot to a good level on volume which I still have faith he can do, and he’ll definitely be a good and valuable player who impacts winning even if he isn’t a star

a 16, 8, and 2 guy that can hit the 3 at a good clip at volume and is a positive defensively…any team would love to have that

8. YaosDirtyStache

Another sour note I have on Jabari’s game…absolutely no post game at all. Like zero.
    I’ve seen people say he can turn into A Lamarcus Aldridge type guy…huh?
    LMA had a beautiful post game, thick trunks for legs to establish his move. A beautiful fader and was hella good at the middie.

Jabari lacking a post game is gonna limit him on offense even further.

Yung-T and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That should be an indicator to say the team is above all players and that include both Sengun and Jabari.

And I stand by that, both could be gone.

I am not shedding a tear whatsoever but I admit I like post games, Hakeem like fakes, fancy passing.

I have my principles and that unfortunately does not go hand in hand with what Jabari brought to the table.

A team fan doesn't have to like all the players, I am not a hippie by any means.

I am just a hard arse sometimes.

#5569 daywalker02, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Jabari sucks at basketball, but Paolo seems to be struggling a bit as well, he managed to achieve the lowest three point FG % in a month for any player ever, shooting just 3% from 3 for February. The alternatives would have taken some effort to have picked correctly. I think the same goes for Jalens draft year, it would have required someone being very smart and taking some risk going against the consensus pick. We have just not had good luck, and to be able to beat this you need an elite GM and front office, there are maybe 3-4 teams in the league that would have drafted better.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/wo...h-in-nba-history-minimum-1-made-three-pointer

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

FO went in for what they thought were high reward players with one elite or two elite skills.

Really just underdeveloped overall.

Green-elite first step, athleticism, scoring
    Bari-supposedly shooting, D and rebounding

Green- loving social media too much
    Bari-entitled attitude, over the top aggressiveness towards certain players, hates losing but doesn't hold himself accountable.

GotGame15, BallSoHarden and Yung-T like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not crapping on Evan Mobley I'm just saying Mobley has the same flaws on scoring as Jabari but people gloss all over that when the reality is the two are pretty close.

Maybe I am high on copium but I will def take Jabari over Mobley straight up even now since I value 3 pt shooting and I prefer Jabari's Giannis like build over Mobley's Pokusevski/Chet Holmgren unicorn build. I can lock Jabari in the basement for a year till he fixes his J and then he'd be the same age as Mobley today. Jabari at least has been an elite shooter in previous levels so you can think he can bean elite shooter in the NBA as well. Mobley is on a good team and has little motivation to improve and go out his comfort zone since everyone is hyping him up day and night.

#5572 roslolian, Mar 1, 2023
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good thing they're young so they can develop everything else.

Drafting a dude who is already elite in one area used to be a good strat but maybe the vogue thing now is draft old ass rookies with high floors, I dont really know.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Mobley does not have the same flaws at all on offense. Mobley is greater finisher under the rim, and a really good roller/lob threat. He will get you 12-15 points a game of easy tip ins and lobs

Jabari is nowhere near long or athletic, he's not a lob threat and cannot elevate to finish a open dunk to save his life

GotGame15, subtomic and Yung-T like this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I see a lot of people comparing him to Tari, but again, Tari is almost exactly 2 years older than Jabari. It makes a big difference in both experience and physical development.

If you look at them side-by-side, Jabari still looks like what he is, a skinny teenager, whereas Tari is already packing a lot more muscle. On top of that, there's a big difference in total minutes played in college between the two of them.

So if Tari wasn't outperforming Jabari right now on a per-minute basis, that would actually be a worrying sign for his future in the NBA, especially given that his physical potential isn't quite as high.

As it is, I think both of them are promising rookies. Doesn't mean either of them is going to succeed but I think both have a strong shot at long, successful careers.

roslolian and gfab-babyboi like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it's a blend of older rookies raising ceiling as well and catching up and the lack of real superstars in the LBJ, Jordan, Hakeem mold.

The game has shifted towards fundamentals and early contribution as those two Waking Forest players such as Duncan and Chris Paul stood for.

Good early production.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize Jabari and Mobley have around the same height right? He is shooting 55% on mostly those dunks and lobs compare that to Jarett Allen who is shooting 65% doing the same. 65% is an elite finisher who mainly focuses on high percentage shots like lobs and dunks and layups. 55% is average to mediocre.

Mobley is like the 5th option on offense with 2 all star guards and another All star center I mean bro obviously majority of his shots would be easy teams have no energy to focus on him. And he is even flubbing those only 55% when he is hand served his buckets.

In contrast Jabari is playing with Sengun and a bunch of broke ass shooters and no actual playmaker. If you put Mobley in this situation I'd like to see how his efficiency is with just isos and no reliable perimeter threat to take the attention from him.

#5577 roslolian, Mar 1, 2023
    gfab-babyboi likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well to be fair there is no LBJ Jordan Hakeem in this draft. Maybe Paolo but Orlando stole hin from us so...

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That's just lazy scouting.

Jabari's DBPM was around 3.2 if I recall correctly and JJJ's was over 7 -- basically Chet level of defensive impact. JJJ also averaged about 8 blocked shots per 100 possessions to Jabari's 2. They're leagues apart.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’m not writing off any of these guys until I see them with a new coach.

Hank McDowell likes this.