1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's Jonathan Givony would cut KPJ, says Rockets locker room/culture is bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2023.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, the value of these deals is much lower than it was circa 2012 or so. Cap room isn't really a thing for most teams (and say it with me - the cap is going to go up!)

But anywya, if KPJ's primary value around the league is that he can be used to absorb a bad player/negative value contract that leads me to believe he has 0 or negative trade value himself.

2. SamFisher

He needs to take corner 3's, I don't ****ing get why he never takes corner 3's. Nobody takes corner 3's on the franchise that popularized corner 3's.

snowconeman22, J Sizzle and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, but the coaching and strategic preparation of the Rockets in on par with a D-1 intramural team.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would cut Givony - he needs to stay in his lane.....

;)

DD

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. SamFisher

My guess also is part of it is ego - if you say "yeah, you have PJ Tucker level skills on offense, get your ass to the corner with Garuba" in year 1, you are absolutely lowering expectations for the guy on offense and that's a quite a come-down from the hypothetical one-time #1 ranked player by the draft industrial complex in the 2022 draft (lol!)

But, I think that's where the Rockets are. He can't hit **** from above the break, so stop taking those shots.

snowconeman22 and Nook like this.
  6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think at this point, cutting our losses in regards to KPJ is the best route to go. We also need to get rid of Silas and Stone and really the owner (although that will never happen). Hold on to Jabari - he hasn't had a fair shake to show what he can really do considering the holy hell mess that the Rockets are these days. Hopefully Jalen Green can get back to improving instead of regressing but I don't see it happening until some of the mgmt bozos are relieved of their duties. It is so damn depressing to be a fan of this team :(

7. Nook

Nook Member

The thing is, they can always change expectations if he plays better. He should be taking some corner 3's.

He was and is a lottery talent, but he was NEVER the #1 pick guy, regardless of what the draft industry said.

I remember a scout said that Jabari could be a Rashard Lewis type player on offense, and all of these draftniks were so angry.

If Jabari ends up shooting well, he will be fine - he was never going to be a franchise guy - he cannot dribble and he has the offensive IQ of Chucky Brown

8. Landry's Tooth

Or offsetting salaries for a star as a boom/bust target for another team to take on with lottle risk.

A team like Boston, Miami, or other strong cultured franchise may believe they can keep him in line.

This is far from a good scenario for him. He's on a team with other inexperienced players and an inexperienced coaching staff with no incentive to win.

Perfect storm for bad behavior.

That being said, I'd like to see how he responds to changing those factors.

9. Landry's Tooth

I think people are good with better version of Ariza or Battier.

Nothing wrong with it...

apollo33 and Nook like this.
  10. Landry's Tooth

At this point we don't know how another coach would do with KPJ.

Let's not pretend they aren't trying to get Victor. That changes in a year when we lose our pick and have free agent cash to spend.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

His lane as an NBA scout and reporter?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

draft

DD

13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Well, I guess the good news is I see almost no way Harden comes back to this team as it stands... I think he only liked the idea of coming back here and taking some promising young talent on an up-and-coming team under his wing in the twilight of his career, in the city where he built his legacy. But there is nothing promising or up-and-coming about Houston at the moment.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You have a lot of faith on our coaching staff and guards to make a pass to the corner

Nook likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

FIFY.

Nook likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Whoops!

17. Landry's Tooth

What if they dealt KPJ, Martin, and a Brooklyn pick for McCollum?

Harden
    McCollum
    Smith
    Wembanyama
    Sengun

Bench
    Jalen Green
    Josh Christopher
    Tari Eason
    Garuba

Solid team there...

18. payaso

payaso Member

So... taking both these posts together, is it safe to say that, if given the corner 3 look, his current/future ceiling is Rashard Lewis?

19. SamFisher

20. payaso

payaso Member

Yikes- dude has aged BADLY since leaving the league.

oh, wait...