1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Colby

Colby Member

During this slow developing offseason, I haven't heard anything about the Rockets plans for Walt Williams. The addition of Griffin and TMO leaves us over stocked at small foreward, 6 at my count.

I have always assumed that Williams would be gone in a sign and trade, but haven't even heard a whimper. I am not a big fan of the Whiz for 5 mil. I would rather see that money spent on big men, our biggest weakness at this point.

Something needs to be done soon. Cato and KT, the only healthy players under contract, won't cut it in the West. Actually, KT is our best post player right now. [​IMG]

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Foreward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

2. alaskansnowman

Popeye said that Walt will either be traded or if he is on the team, he will not have a very big role at all.

------------------
    its not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours - alaskansnowman

3. Colby

Colby Member

If he stays on the team, does that mean Bullard is gone, SA is gone. I don't want to see the Rockets get rid of Bull, his 3pt shooting will be needed more than ever next year.

I was hoping Doc Rocket's trade included Walt. Still waiting for that trade.

------------------
    When it all came down,

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Walt could play some backup shooting guard if Shandon leaves, otherwise, I expect him to backup Griffin.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Colby,I think ZRB's assessment on Walt is correct.His minutes will be limited because of Morris and Griffin,but he is untradable like Cato.I still think Bullard will sign with us for the minimum.If Walt regains his shooting touch both Bullard and he could be valuable to us, especially with the zone defenses.

------------------

6. BahDakota

BahDakota Member

Nice Sig Colby.

------------------
    How long do I have to endure this ?

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

8. Band Geek Mobster

Walt's probably starting at the beginning of the season, but he'll slowly slip away onto the bench and maybe even the IR as the months pass, where he'll then disappear to free agency...

Bull's cheap, he'll stay.

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

9. Colby

Colby Member

Bah -are you using that name now?

------------------
    When it all came down,

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Griffin, Morris, Williams, Langhi (although he's being projected to play SG) - that makes 4 SF's - who else is there?

------------------

11. PhiSlammaJamma

At this point, I'd have to agree that Walt will be the opening day starter. Griffin will slowly take over that role late in the season. You know how Rudy is with the verterans. They are at the top of the food chain. Langhi prob won't get much time. Bullard will see more than Langhi, but only when we need some spacing.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Pretty sure Bullard played only PF last season (and the one before) - as of right now he's not on the roster for next year, but I can't see him getting renounced! Of course when he re-signs his time will most likely come at PF (as per usual).

------------------

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He's been saying that for the past 3 seasons now.

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

14. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Teams can always find a place for a streak shooter like Walt. If he is hitting then he stays in, if not out he goes.

15. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

I have given some thought to Walt's contract being attractive to a team wanting to dump salary. Some teams may not give the luxury tax a lot of thought until their team underperforms. I think teams have until sometime in February to set their roster for luxury tax purposes.

------------------

16. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Walt is our most tradeable asset!! With his contract ending this season, he could fetch a good impact player for the Rockets. Some teams are starting to get nervous about the Luxury Tax.

Dont be surprised to see the Rockets include him in a S&T with Hakeem to bring in some more talent (or at least one!). If the Rockets keep him, which is what Francis & co want!!, then we will have some extra space next year to try, yet again!!! in the FA market.

------------------

17. alaskansnowman

Tru. Except I believe him more this time. [​IMG]

But on the real, there are many more reasons this year that support oeilpere's claim. These reasons consist of Griffin, T-mo, and Langhi. We haven't had this glut of young small forwards before. Not only will Griffin definately be eating into Walt's minutes, Langhi was promised more minutes this year also, and I believe he will get them. Add T-mo (who knows how he'll do, but it seems like he will definately make the roster) and that leaves even less minutes for Walt. Also I bet Rudy is tired of having 1 dimensional sf's that can't defend. The point is that now there is more reason than ever to buy into what Oielpere's been sayin.

------------------
    its not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours - alaskansnowman

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited July 22, 2001).]

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DaDakota is out of the bet, as far as I'm concerned. Watch, he'll turn into a betting dork again later, come Oct 31st, and claim a tie and how he doesn't follow the team only himself, then switch back to DaDakota.

To me, he is just masterbating on the bet by continuing to use BahDakota.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, do you want to show me the Rudy quote where he says Walt was on the team for the past 3 seasons?

jab!

20. man532

man532 Member

Gentlemen, I enjoy the 3 point shooting provided by walt and bull, however, I have watched too many Rocket games where other teams post up or go one on one against Walt or Bull and score at will. Then Rudy is forced to subsitute.

Bullard and Walt are very poor defenders on the perimiter and Walt shooting has drop significantly over the last couple of years.

In addition, neither player rebounds well, especially Bull at 6'10". I understand "role player" however, that has to be more than shooting the ball, a little D and boards will help.

------------------
    Let go and let GOD!