1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be your QB plan recommendation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jayded, Feb 10, 2023.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm going to stop you right there. In this league you need (A) high end talent PLUS (B) a great QB to have anything better than prolonged mediocrity. Myself, and many other draft scholars, have arrived at the conclusion that a "great QB" simply does not exist in this draft class. Full stop.

So taking that as a given, we absolutely can't pass up high end talent in the first 2 rounds of the draft. We miss on both (A) and (B) if we take a QB in the first round of this year's draft class. It's just a weak QB draft class -- there's no way around it.

2. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

That's exactly what I would do. Draft best available player at 2, maybe trade back at 12 to gain picks and sign a free agent QB bridge QB like Baker Mayfield, Jimmy G, or other.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Bryce or die !

4. Fantasma Negro

How in the world do some of yall think this is even a possibility? This is ****ing stupid. This team has sucked for the last three ****ing years and its depleted the fan base and turned us into the butt of every joke and yall want more ****ing losing? I'm done with the ****ing losing!! We have the Browns pick next year, if Williams is really that dude we could trade up to get him, stop thinking like ****ing losers!!

primtim24, oelman44, whag00 and 2 others like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's cool. You're entitled to your expert draft opinion, and I'm entitled to think said opinion is rubbish.

That said, what's your way that we will get that great QB? Carr is not that, and he is the best available. And as I said, even if he were, he only opens the proverbial window for 5 years max. You think we can acquire the other high end talent you talked about before those 5 years are up so that we have a year or two to make a run before we tear it all down and start over again?

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Done of the Top 4 QBs are safe. They all come with questions and spending the #2 pick on anyone of them is risky. While having a first year HC can be argued is the time to take that risk, I don't want to with #2. If one of them slips to #12 or close enough for a reasonable trade then that might make sense.

If K2 is the OC, then I'd almost prefer to run Mills back out there in the Air Raid system and see what he could do. This allows us to focus on building other parts of the team and adding talent. With a latter pick (Rds 5-7), take a chance on a QB (Jake Haener would be my choice) and look at vet FAs that would make sense (for better or worse Baker Mayfield ran the Air Raid in OK and would be good competition for Mills with best man wins mentality).

I know this isn't the popular path for most of us here. We all want that shiny new QB to strut out on the field and market to the fans/media, me included. But more importantly we want to build a winning team. Coach D described the type of players he wants and the way he wants to play. There are some really exciting prospects on defense and offense available in rds 1-4 that can start to fill key positions and become difference makers on this team.

With the #2 pick we'll likely have a chance to take at least 3 of the 4 Top QB prospects available. Perhaps Young is the target because of the well documented recruiting story with K2. If so, I'll be excited and root for it to work. However, if we take a DL or trade back for more picks, I believe that is the better route to building the foundation for future success. My 2 cents.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

I like Hendon Hooker in an air raid offense as a late second or early third as well. Could compete with Mills and then take over after half a season.

Fantasma Negro, CVcrew and Shark44 like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Hooker could be ideal as a developmental QB. Because of his injury his draft projection is all over... https://atozsports.com/nashville/where-vols-qb-hendon-hooker-lands-latest-mock-draft-from-espn/ This article talks about him going in latter half of 2nd to SEA, but that he's been discussed from 2nd-5th. For me his value would be with our second 3rd from CLE, if we could get him at that spot and he develops wouldn't that be icing on the Watson trade cake!

With his injury, age and factoring in his adjustment to the NFL, I think that pick or better yet our 4th would be value for H2. Dude really throws a beautiful deep ball and Air Raid would likely be an easier transition for him then other O's he may get drafted into.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I always hear how he throws a beautiful deep ball. The problem is he overthrows his receivers on deep balls more often than not. It does have a nice spiral, however.

primtim24 likes this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lol, yeah I admit my love for tight spirals can cloud my thinking at times. ;)

11. Jayded

Jayded Member

Meant to give my own reply and got busy at work:

My order

1. Trade non-first round pick for another team's backup (ex. Trey Lance, Zach Wilson)
    2. Trade the Bears the for Justin Fields (speculation would be a 1st and 3rd would do it, but naturally depends on the pick(s))
    3. Draft no QB in the first round, but go for someone in rounds 2-3 like Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee
    4. Stay put at 2 and if Bryce Young is there, take him
    5. Draft no QB high at all and grab a late round project (likely means stick with Mills as QB1)
    6. Stay put at 2 and if CJ Stroud is there, take him
    7. Sign a free agent QB bridge QB like Baker Mayfield, Jimmy G, or other
    8. Wait until 12 and draft a QB like Anthony Richardson
    9. Stay put at 2 and if Will Levis is there, take him
    10. Trade what it takes to go to 1.1 to get Bryce Young
    11. Trade what it takes to go to 1.1 to get a QB not named Bryce Young
    My reasoning:

I like the QB class in 2024 better than 2023. I know it's cliche to wait until the next year, so I'd be more in favor of leaning into the risk this year at a lower cost. Rather than wager a high pick on a question mark QB or an injury-returning guy like Hooker, I'd favor testing a 3rd round pick for Lance or a late round 5/6/7 for Zach Wilson. Use 2023 as their proving year and if they aren't quickly "the guy", we'll be in position for one of the top 2024 guys for next year. It also allows us to load up in 2023 on the top end with defensive and offensive talent to surround either Lance/Wilson succeeding or a 2024 franchise QB.

My biggest debate was at 2/3/4 for myself. I'd almost rather trade for Justin Fields (knowing what we get) than gamble on Young/Stroud/Levis in hopes he might get to Justin Fields or better in a few years, especially if maybe the 1.12 could get us Fields if the Bears really would fancy Young at 1.1. I definitely don't think Mills is the guy, but I'm not sure I want us to spend even a 2nd or 3rd on a maybe dart throw like Hooker or McKee either. I'm starting to really favor Anderson at 1.2 if he isn't the top pick vs. any of our other options and then seeing where the chips fall with the QBs before even considering what to do at 1.12.

I'm really not a fan of Levis as a gamble and think he'll be a bust that's out of the league quickly, so him as a 1st round pick, let alone a high one, is a huge no-go. We also have no reason to trade up to 1.1 after messing that up for ourselves and mortgaging any real part of our future to do it with so many question marks about the QBs at the top of this draft.

12. Two Sandwiches

I think he's talented enough that I'd be willing to spend our third on him. Like your symbolism though.

Shark44 likes this.
  13. mario_v

mario_v Member

What exactly did he say in the interviews? You can get away with acting like a moron if you’re a wr, but QBs are held to a higher standard.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Kyler Murray’s mediocrity got Kingsbury fired in Arizona. Murray was a top overall pick. No way he wants anything to do with another too short QB in Bryce Young. Too risky.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm sympathetic to not drafting a QB in round 1 in this particular draft, but I just can't imagine the team running Mills out there again. Jeez is he bad against anything but a 2nd-string defense when the team is 30 points down due in no small part to his earlier gaffs and poor throws. No, please, no.

Another team's backup > Mills in most cases. Or giving a solid journeyman a shot this year -- god knows a bunch of them will be on the move.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No bridge qb that will try to win and make us lose out number 1 pick. I want 17 games of Kyle allen..

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Don't rush the rebuild. The Astros sucked for how long before they won? They were setting all time losing records. Why waste assets to draft the QB when you can just lose to get it. Doesn't make sense. Our team lacks soo much talent we can't just trade away picks to move up. Bryce young is not the answer. Will Anderson is the pick. Plus it's a good chance the team with number 1 pick next year needs a qb and won't trade with us.

Don't you realize if we miss on the qb we get set back 10 more years. I don't want schaub Texans.

#38 RHU525, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Missing on a QB does not set you back 10 years. Holding onto a missed QB sets you back. The quicker you move away, the better.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Look at the browns. Basically irrelevant since the Texans have been in the league. Cuz all they do is miss on QBs to the point they traded all those picks for Deshaun when they coulda just drafted him in the first place cuz we traded with them to get him... hilarious..

Zack Wilson is holding the keys back.