1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate your Microsoft Excel skills

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Aug 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I got all the mad skillz: pivot tables, formulas, macros, manipulating and creating Word files, and creating custom emails and drafts.

10/10

2. arjun

arjun Member

after seeing some of the spreadsheet the finance dept works with at my company....

3/10. lol

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

if you can't do custom visual basic coding, then you cannot rate yourself above a 7.

there is a LOT a very good excel person can do. And it's a hell of a lot more than not using a mouse or memorizing the keyboard shortcuts to cut and paste.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I still know all the keyboard shortcuts, but my skills have atrophied badly since college. I'm probably going to have to consider taking a course when (if ever :( ) I end up leaving public accounting for industry.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

customizing macros is my thang. had to deal with 40,000+ line worksheets, and pulling data from 100+ workbooks into one crunching, automated machine that aggregated a portfolio of data.

probably a 9.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I was born in 89, raised with computers, and took courses in hs and college. My excel skills are about a 6 or 7/10. I probably know shortcuts that older crowd wont know but dont know long ways or formulas like the older crowd would either.

7. dragician

dragician Member

I use it everyday for my budget and expenses.

8. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

My resume says I'm proficient;) :grin:

9. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

4 in Excel.
    10 in Numbers. I can do ridiculous things in that program.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Probably 7/10 or 8/10

11. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

5/10 - decent for someone that doesn't need a lot of heavy number crunching... yet. I can write my own programs to help with the data processing which is nice. I learnt a lot of my excel skills when making my fantasy basketball analysis workbook

On a side note: Office 2013 is amazing! I'm finding so many incremental improvements that are making my life simpler/easier. I think it was ZBoy or Ziggy that posted that $10 deal right? That was a money find

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

6/10

I know the basics, like pivot tables, array formulas, and macros. But my big thang is the hiddeous concatenate formula on my worksheet - over 1500 characters (no spaces). Saves a bundle of time after 1000 uses but it took a while to make.

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Is this about the #robinthicke vid?

14. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

5. I just know how to make graphs.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

16. no_answer

no_answer Member

1 million, I live for a good spreadsheet.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some of the things these people can do are pretty incredible... not so much in the complexity, but be able to just dive into it after being given the problem. I'd have to sit there thinking about it or googling. lol. I watched that dude Andrew Ngai in a previous tournment a year or two ago... he's pretty bad-ass.

Nowadays, I just code stuff in Python to spit out and load into Excel, but I know less Excel now than back when I first posted in this thread. Back then I was doing VBA code to parse through hundreds of Excel spreadsheets, take the output and regenerate them into other Excel spreadsheets while comparing stuff in a database using VBA. It's not that complex, but even then, I know less now since I don't use VBA for much of anything anymore.

At my last company I was writing some scripts in Groovy/Python to check for errors in our billing software as well as possible flaws in our pricing departments' models/spreadsheets. I only did this because we were outsourcing a lot of our stuff for a team of 4 to do manually in Japan. Despite that, it was incredible what those people were doing with Excel and thousands of rows of data. But, as is sometimes the problem with Excel when data gets to be massive, it was a slug and terrible to manage. Despite this, Excel is still the Microsoft tool I use the most - even more than Word. I love the thing.

ROCKSS likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

20. dmoneybangbang

3/10… Really need to get better at it.