1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

after watching Netflix's 4-part Madoff: The Monster of Wall Street (which is excellent btw) we watched DeNiro's Madoff movie The Wizard of Lies. Not bad, not great. Has a weird dream sequence in the middle of it that was unnecessary. Glad we watched the Netflix documentary the night before. Wizard of Lies is probably a 7/10

2. Buck Turgidson

The Pale Blue Eye was a pretty big disappointment.

GRENDEL, studogg and mikol13 like this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Should have called it Stiff One Eye. ;)

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That movie was crazy. It was good and weird. My wife had bad dreams the night after we watched that lol

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I thought the same. I thought the acting from Harry Melling was solid, but the movie was a letdown. The ending was decent but couldn’t make up for most of the rest of it.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I saw The Menu yesterday
    IT was ok. Nothing overly spectacular
    It was interesting but did not go as I thought in some places
    Could have done better

Rocket River

TimDuncanDonaut and studogg like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Sorry you didn't get it

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I got it
    just didn't like it

Rocket River

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Then you didn't get it

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Or those who "got it" are just imagining things to feel superior and make themselves feel good

Enjoy your Smugness
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Not at all

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Sick for 4 days so binge watched a lot of movies:

Fire of Love - Documentary about a married volcanologist couple who took a lot of risks and captured some amazing film along the way. Disney+. Worth the watch.

The Menu - loved everything but desert, but overall I really enjoyed this movie. Along with White Lotus and Triangle of Sadness there has been some great skewer the elite material out there this year.

The Wonder - Florence Pugh is really solid. Nice period piece.

Banshees - agree with everyone above. Great movie. Kids needed the subtitles.

White Noise - ugh. Part 1 was boring except for the Hilter v Elvis speech. Part 2 was fun, thats the movie I wanted to see. Part 3 was dreary as ****, although the last 15 min were fun, including the credits. Overall I would avoid, but a nice attempt to film an unfilmable book.

Kimi - Hitchcock meets Alexa. Well written, quick 90 min thriller.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Saw some film called ‘Forget Me Not” about a musician guy who meets a gal, they slowly hit it off over the course of several hours, and they end up about to do it after a long night when he lays the truth on her...he has a terminal illness that is causing him to lose his mind and memory which ends in a horrible death. The female has some really nice natural... . Decent film overall with good acting in a London setting.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I finally watched Black Adam.

4/10 I really don't understand how you can drop the ball that bad, nothing was really exciting and the acting and dialogue was just terrible all around.

It just reeked of trying to be everything to everybody and failing it all.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Top gun 9/10. Been a minute since I've seen a good action movie. Now I need to watch the original one.

I also remember playing top gun on Nintendo trying to land the plane. Hardest game ever.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had put off The Pale Blue Eye partly because of reviews here and elsewhere, finally got around to watching it and thought it was great. The cinematography, the locations, it's a period piece--the whole thing unfolds as a slow burn and a sort of psychological study. Bale and Melling are both great. I think this film is going to age better over time and that people will come back to it. Took me a bit to understand the hokeyness of the false finish towards the end, only to have it go another fifteen minutes for the reveal. I didn't know anything about the story or the novel so it was unexpected for me. Anyway, I can understand how some folks might not like it--it's not Marvel universe after all--but I thought it was excellent. Admittedly slow, particularly in the beginning, but I think that's necessary given the nature of the story and how it unfolds. Easily an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.

17. conquistador#11

Sierra Burgess Is A Loser- 5/10 (incomplete). After finishing the last episode of The Recruit, this popped up as a suggestion. It's not terrible on a Rockets night off.
    Sierra is a student and LOTR fan that gets bullied by a mean girl. Mean girl gives out Sierra's number to Owen Hendricks as a form of getting back at Sierra.
    Sierra gets hooked on her conversations with Owen and passes herself as the mean girl. The kicker....she gets the mean girl to send a couple of pics of herself and in exchange for some tutoring.
    I didn't finish it because I was getting tired.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It is such a good movie.

19. dmoneybangbang

Molly’s Game: B+

Just a good movie but nothing ground breaking. The story is about an ex skier who started running how stakes illegal poker games.

marky :) likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

I watched The Invitation thinking it was The Menu. Ooops.