1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[99ers Only] Has there been a more unlikable Rockets team than this one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like that team . . . . this team needs time.
    We should NOT try to make a quick fix like the TMAC trade which leads to us treading water.

Mobley - Francis - Yao was a great time for me. . . young talent finding their way
    until we went for a short cut which
    stifled Yao and snuffed out any growth in the team - spent the whole time trying to replace talent from a poor trade

Green - Sengun - Jabari - Wemby could be all world IMO
    As long as we don't f*ck it up with a Barkley.Tmac type quick fix move

Rocket River

jimmyv281 and tycoonchip like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Does it matter about age. Cuttino Mobley today could beat our guards. He's still cooking folks looking like uncle drew.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone that sat through the Juwan Howard superstar showcase year… I watched all 82…

bmelo likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I loved getting Tmac but we gave up too much. Way too much. Same situation as Barkley trade. This is where I hope Stone can say not to Fertitta if any team is asking for too much. No gutting a roster for 1 player.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

For me, the most anxious and frustrated I’ve been as a fan was during Dream’s “lost years” between the cocaine implosion and Rudy T. I was always fearing he would get traded because that’s just what happened in Houston sports and to be honest, there were times I wanted him traded so he could get the acclaim he deserved—and because I didn’t think the organization could build a team around him. When the fake injury stuff started I dropped out for awhile because I didn’t want to see Dream traded for trash.

That said, I can’t remember despising a basketball owner as much. It’ll be hard to pass my white-hot hate for Bud Adams, but this owner still has time.

jim1961, Rashmon and daywalker02 like this.
  7. riko

riko Member

Talk about a potentially atrocity of team
    Lin
    Martin
    Parsons
    Jones
    Asik

that’s the pure trash lottery team Morey rolled out just days before the harden trade that changed the trajectory of the team from pure atrocity to a future powerhouse

8. riko

riko Member

Just send a godfather offer to Kenny Atkinson and pry him away from golden state. That guy has the ability to develop young players and get them over perform

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s been downhill since cp3 hamstring pulled.

txtodd and cheke64 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

Nah. The moment those ping pong balls two seasons ago got us the second pick it's been much brighter.

We could be a franchise like the Spurs who suck AND have hardly any potential star to superstar talent.

Right now the struggle isn't the talent on the roster but rather inexperience and bad coaching management in terms of not having enough veterans sprinkled in to guide the young players.

11. fchowd0311

That team probably nets you 35-42 wins but all those players besides Parsons have solid NBA experience and we're in their mid twenties or older.

12. fchowd0311

We're you like a Mobley acolyte before the draft 2 seasons ago?

All-star egos with g-leafue talent?

Nah more like really talented 20 and 22 year olds with bad coaching direction.

You seriously need to chill man. And very rational level headed posters have called you our for your toxic pessimism.

13. fattz

fattz Member

With any Money teams it was just wait a few weeks maybe months and it changed. The spotlight was on him not the players. He always had the next “snake oil” player that was going to make everything better. I would buy into most anything he put together. That was great entertainment. Looking back how gullible I was as fan makes my fandom even stronger. As long as Houston or Rockets are on the uniforms I am in. (Still am)

Bad or good, loss or victory, lottery or championship—> Go Rockets

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As good as their coaching and management has been San Antonio is still a smaller market to me.

They can't compete with Dallas even for free agents unless players strictly take paycuts to play for Pop.

They earn the respect of the community by playing well unless it is Timmy or Admiral time.

The Spurs are just a special team in a tiny environment.

Houston is a notch more attractive as destination and would always be.

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is better than the years Pippen, Ariza and Lin were supposed to be our saviors. Hope will kill you. ;)

Rocket River likes this.
  16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Maybe KPJ is a moron, but the rest of the team can play better with the right coach.

17. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2000-2001 - Shandon Anderson led Rockets... ugh... yeah we won and had such high hopes but he just wasn't it.

18. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

This is probably the least invested I have ever been in the Rockets since I started watching in '93; however, I am not sure anything can match the despair of the Francis-Mobley years or the post-Yao era.

count_dough-ku likes this.
  19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I've never disliked or hated our team. I love the Rockets, win or lose.

I've been disappointed and frustrated in players, coaches, and seasons, but my love for the team has never waivered.

Even in these rebuilding years I enjoy watching these kids; win or lose.
    [​IMG]

[can't say this for the Texans]

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We'll have to see how this era plays out, but those 4 straight lotto seasons during the Francis/Mobley era were brutal. Especially given how horrible Rudy T and CD were with player personnel decisions.

At least right now, Stone and Fertitta are stockpiling a lot of young talent, have a ton of cap space this summer, a bunch of picks and swaps owed by the Nets, and another high draft pick coming in June(possibly Wemby or Scoot).

There's a potentially very bright light at the end of this currently very dark tunnel. They could blow it, of course. But I see a method to this madness. I had no clue what the hell Rudy, CD, and Les were doing 20 years ago. If they hadn't lucked into Yao and then T-Mac demanding his way out of Orlando, I don't want to imagine how ugly that decade would've been.

#120 count_dough-ku, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023