1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Jalen Green just become a chucker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShiniKashi, Jan 4, 2023.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I said this on draft day. Iffy shot mechanics.

Alot of respectable trainers don't like messing with a pro's shot mechanics because the percentages take a dip. It takes months to get used to the smallest tweaks

GotGame15 likes this.
  2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Green was ass last Dec/Jan too. Didn't really pick it up until Feb.

Hoping for the same. If he raises the 3pt to 35-37% then he's a vastly different player.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For him to finish at 35-37 for the season, he's going to have to do 38-40% the rest of the way.

Not impossible but I'm not going to put too much faith in that.

4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Rockets don’t have that franchise player yet.. and it’s already showing.. gotta keep searching ..

kpj is borderline starter
    Green has potential.. to be 2nd 3rd best player on champ team..

Not good enough to build around

harold bingo likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it is negative to say the variance of what Green could become is still huge.

Could be anything from 24 plus starter upwards.

Zen Tabak and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Idk how we are developing green .

We have given him super high usage from the start . It's unclear how he will benefit from this.

He's been encouraged to be aggressive and look for his .

He takes it to the rack a fair amount and you'd imagine the outcome will continue getting better as he adds more weight over time .

We are giving him more creation duties too. We need to get him more open shots too .

Our whole offense needs.to learn to "flow"

Yes it's a make or miss league, but there's little beautiful ball movement. We mostly compete or don't compete based on how hot our guards are .

I like us having Him handling the ball and making decisions .

I think a guy like Kevin McHale would be a great coach for this developing team .

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kp and Eric have the worst - minus on the Team

KPJ Best Games 7 Assists - 5 Turnovers - Where is the Improvement, Worst 2 Assists 5 Turnovers

A Real 10 Assist Point Guard with Low Turnovers

Eric Gordon playing Small Forward Is the most Undeserved 6'3 Shooting Guard to play this Position. He should be coming off the bench and constantly plays bad defense laterally.

Tari Eason should be playing Small Forward, why not Rockets are the worst team regardless.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Always has been. At least when he has the ball in his hands and is forced to create

9. a time to chill

We should put Jalen on the trade market to acquire assets to put around Sengun.

i'm joking but pretty soon i won't be...

Rolliepollie and Downtown Sniper like this.
  10. riko

riko Member

One dimensional tunnel visioned chucker

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His fundamentals and bball IQ need a lot of work for a number 2 pick.

DD

#51 DaDakota, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Rolliepollie and GotGame15 like this.
  12. anchel

anchel Member

He looks tired, undisciplined, unmotivated... lost.

Dopamine likes this.
  13. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Exactly my thoughts

GotGame15 and hajkov like this.
  14. anchel

anchel Member

I think his fundamentals and basket IQ are good offensively, he just can't make a shot right now, looks tired and without confidence. Defensively, yes, his fundamentals, IQ, and interest all suck. He was much better at some point of last season. Absolutely regressed there.

15. a time to chill

He settles for too many contested threes and struggles at finishing to the rim. These were issues that the scouts warned about on his draft profile.

16. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Guess by his thin wrists he is too much of a girl to shoot ;)

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

He's been bad but until Silas is gone I can't give him a fair assessment.

18. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Those defending Jalen from the beginning have used the "it's too early to properly judge" type defense. The fact is that JG has had more playing time (total minutes) than most players that have been in the league twice as long. There has been enough to make a reasonably sound determination about his capabilities.

The smartest move is to go for a piece that can be the focal point of a rebuild that is not yet an established superstar, but actually has the ability (just not widely recognized yet). Like Lauri Markkanen.

wlekfjv923n and BigShasta like this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think it's partly Silas, partly that him and KPJ should play the same role and neither has a PG to make them better, and Partly Green himself.

Green doesn't get many easy looks. That's on the coach and PG.

But Green also doesn't have any go to moves that gets him easy looks. That's on Green himself.

Like if you look at the top offensive players in the league, they are going to be good offensively no matter what situation they are in because they have the skills/frame to get to their spots and get the shots they want on most possessions.

Jalen can get to past just about any defender just with pure athleticism, but he often gets in trouble when other defenders slide in to help. And he also doesn't have the ability of some of the top offensive players to get to his spot, rise up and hit jumpers consistently.

I read an article the other day where it talked about how the Rockets personnel is mostly built for a motion style offense, but Silas and KPJ prefer more of a spread type of offense. And when Sengun is in the game it's like trying to Mesh the two styles it gets ugly.

I really think the Rockets roster would benefit from more of a motion style offense because they don't have even one guy (like a Harden or Luka) that can efficiently run that type of offense to create for themselves and others. And that's not a knock. GSW runs a motion style offense and outside of their main core, they've had a lot of players come through there that have been better there than anywhere else they've been. Motion style offense allows players to maximize what they do best.

Went off on a tangent there, but basically just saying Green needs to improve a lot in his own right, but there are also some things beyond his control that aren't really helping his development. And that really goes for every young player on the team.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Amen.

DD

htownrox1 likes this.