1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. PeppermintCandy

Not sure if this is a serious question, but at the very least, when a player fouls, they're turning the ball over to the other team, and if it results in free throws, it's allowing the other side to score.

Plus, after picking up quick fouls, the player could start to play more conservatively so as to avoid fouling out as the game progresses, in turn affecting the team play.

Of course, some fouls are inevitable in the flow of the game. And while Sengun does pick up his share of avoidable "silly" fouls, these should go down with more experience.

2. JD88

JD88 Member

Right, but that's an easy fix.

Luckily for him, he has about 15 years to work on it.

Dobbizzle and CircaSurvive like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

4. anchel

anchel Member

That video reflects well what some of us think about the situation. Play around Alperen and:

- He will be better,
    - Green will be better
    - Jabari will be better
    - Team will be better.

KPJ will get less usage; that only means you don't a scoring PG on this team. You need another profile who can help you in different ways: leading the defense, getting the best opposite guard every night, pushing the tempo, executing offensively... if he can do all that AND also make plays, or score, the better, but that's not the priority.

Rockets need a Jalen Suggs or a Davion Mitchell profile, not a scoring PG. I think it's easy to realize, obvious.
    If that seems too high of a profile, say an Alvarado, a prime Pat Beverley... Get that kind of PG and you'll see Alperen and Green take off, probably become all-stars with Jabari too. Then add a top pick at this draft, a proper veteran max, and you're facing a truly ambitious and exciting project.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What's often lost here is that the NBA is getting adjusted to his post game on a daily basis but he is not improving there and he has not improved elsewhere. It's a slight concern I guess but I think he'll be fine.

Sengun has 1.5 years to develop either his defense or 3pt shooting, preferably both. A mid range game won't move the needle enough for his career, he does not display any qualities of being an elite mid range shooter. That should be left to after he has developed his defense and 3pt shooting which are absolutely critical to cement a career in the NBA.

Right now in the post he's 13th in PPP and 14th in EFG% for players with at least 2 possessions in the post. He should be better than that in the post and the reason teams are guarding him better is because he doesn't have a viable second weapon other than passing. Also sometimes he's going to have to space the floor for scoring guards. Adding muscle will help a lot.

I have faith he'll develop everything he needs, but he's in a critical phase of his development. Believe me as a huge Sengun fan, his chances of being a legit star in this league is heavily dependent on his defense and 3pt shooting. If he just focuses on those 2 things, he's going to have a hell of a career.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol alpi showcased his jumper at euro...
    anyway only people that lack handles, driving, slashing, postup and back to the basket games need a jumper...
    so the jumper cult, back off!

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no, the reason is he is rarely ever in rhythm, because of the lack of usage and no viable passing option to pass to, ie playing on a toxic team where performance doesnt matter....

bet you any money you thought yanis antetokoumpo will never win title because he cant shoot and space floor for teammates scrubs

he spaces the floor already ....he doesnt need 3 pt shot because hes godly at drives and has great handles so he cant be left open on 3pt line...

lol youre giving too much lip service to loving sengun and being a huge fan....thats a red flag in my experience.. i dont think youre sengun fan at all...youre fan of an image, of an ideal image you have in your head something like wemby that can do it all in your mind, but you dont really love sengun or his game that much...

sengun as it is will be a big star in this league by mere increasing his playing time and being on a real team...no need for defensive improvement, 3 pt shot or anything of that sort...

he just knows how to ball! thats why he didnt develop these things in the first place, that dumbalytics cultists want him to, cause he never really needed it...just like yanis...

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

If you leave trash like KPJ on the team you deserve to lose

10. maj21

maj21 Member

Just ignore the SOFs bc they’re gonna say you’re wrong or blame someone else. According to them, he’s perfect and has nothing to work on

Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is disgusting.

12. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, I think at this point you have to give him the keys and see what happens. Give him 35 mins /27% usage. I don’t think we’ll be worse than the current version running everything through KPJ/Green. May not be better, but we have to run the experiment and see. I think I’ve seen enough of JG/KPJ running the show: both may be great complimentary players, but by now there is enough evidence that they can’t be the pillars of an elite team.

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this! you try it for a few months so you can know what you have in him and other because it will unlock better opportunities for others to shine

i bet you any money both KPJ and jalen green will be the greatest benefactors of this move....they are carrying a huge burden right now...i dont think they are happy with current system...

they will be set free and their games and numbers will prosper more than alpis when we start playing this way...

AroundTheWorld, NewAge and cml750 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And how do we actually accomplish this understanding Sengun's foul trouble and the fact that in the NBA it's just simply harder to ramp up usage of big men because they simply don't control the ball and they have to often fight for position to get in proper spots?

Ramping up possessions for a big man is harder than you think.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]